Technician says that I can't upgrade to higher speed but website and router says so ?

brad236

Good day ,

We recently upgraded from 4mbps to 10mbps after viewing on their coverage website that we can get 10mbps and it already shows on our account that we are registered as 10mbps so our account is no problem.
We already waited a week and still no speed upgrade and when we phoned telkom today they told us something about we are connected to the MSAN and thus cannot upgrade to a higher speed can someone please clarify what is a MSAN and why the technician also told us our exchanges only support exchanges up to 4mbps ... so who is lying :mad: ?

P.S Our router stats are as follows:

Upstream noise safety coefficient(SNR) (dB) 5.9
Downstream noise safety coefficient(SNR) (dB) 26.8
Upstream line attenuation (dB) 10.8
Downstream line attenuation (dB) 23

Dan C

Honorary Master
You are probably too far from the exchange and connected to an old MSAN sitting in the roadside in between the DSAM inside the exchange.

Many have the same problem and stuck on 4mbps (including myself).

brad236

Well is the DSAM the white/cream large box or the green and blue smaller boxes in that case I am not very far about 1 kilometer aprox

brad236

What is the difference between a MSAN,DSLAM and a DSAM I am so confused right now :wtf:

Dan C

Honorary Master
Well is the DSAM the white/cream large box or the green and blue smaller boxes in that case I am not very far about 1 kilometer aprox

Sorry meant to type DSLAM :p

http://www.skullbox.net/dslam.jpg

Mine is a big white one sitting about 500m from my house. But from there it's about another 2.5 km to the actual exchange.
I think the limitation is the big old white box :p

brad236

Okay thanks for the link helped alot :)... So basically I must go into telkom and cancel my 10mbps and revert back to the 4mbps ? or are their any other options will they upgrade the box ?

brad236

Also wait a bit why is my line attenuation so low (good thing) on my router my line standard is also ADSL2+ doesnt that mean I can upgrade ?

brad236

And also why does telkom state on their website I can get 10mbps but now their telling me other ****

Dan C

Honorary Master
Also wait a bit why is my line attenuation so low (good thing) on my router my line standard is also ADSL2+ doesnt that mean I can upgrade ?

No. Mine is also ADSL2+ .

Best bet is to PM TELKOMZA and confirm whether you can in fact upgrade.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
And also why does telkom state on their website I can get 10mbps but now their telling me other ****
The map doesn't always match, at one point, back when I had ADSL, the map said I could get 20Mbps but I could actually only get 10Mbps due to distance.
It's a bit weird that the MSAN/DSLAM isn't capable of 10Mbps if the map says you can. As below.
No. Mine is also ADSL2+ .

Best bet is to PM TELKOMZA and confirm whether you can in fact upgrade.

Above, best bet is to ask TelkomZA here, they're usually on the ball.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Go to this url. Enter the telephone number associated with your ADSL service and look up which device you are connected to. That will tell you if you can upgrade or not.

https://ssl-1.ipact.telkom-ipnet.co.za/pubcgi/internal/NBNDLookup.pl

I have exactly the same issue. We are in an area where we are supposed to be able to get vdsl services, BUT because I am still connected to an MSAN that is only capable of 4 Mb/s I cant upgrade even though Telkom's website says my area is VDSL and 20 Mb/s.

I am also only 700 cable meters from the exchange.

brad236

Okay thank you everyone I wish Telkom's website was more accurate but I will ask TelkomZA :D