Teenagers 'swatted' 60-year-old Tennessee man for his Twitter handle, caused him to die of a heart attack

rvZA

Executive Member
A 60-year-old man in Tennessee died after he was "swatted" by teenagers who wanted his valuable Twitter handle, NBC News reported.

Mark Herring's home in Sumner County was surrounded by armed police in April 2020 after teenagers reported a fake murder, his family told NBC News.

Herring was "scared to death" when law enforcement officers swarmed the property with their guns drawn, his daughter, Corinna Herring Fitch, told the media outlet. The shock caused him to have a massive, fatal heart attack, NBC News said.

The teenagers targeted Herring because they wanted his "@Tennessee" Twitter handle, which he had acquired in 2006 and was reluctant to sell, according to NBC News.

Sayf777

Expert Member
This will never happen in Australia
Being hounded for a social media name is also very likely to occur in a place like Australia.

I'd say it's not likely/much less likely in SA only because there's much bigger issues and a stupid thing like this is less likely to happen.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Very suspicious, that. Typical behaviour of someone who's hiding something.
Normal people die of heart attacks every day.

Death-Note-Gif-Light-Yagami-Kira-Evil-Laughing-death-note-40386688-400-222.gif

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Not the first case where the victim ends up dying. They need to severely punish this vermin.

Cray

Honorary Master
Not the first case where the victim ends up dying. They need to severely punish this vermin.
There was a major story similar to this about a year ago where the guy getting swatted got shot accidentally and the swatter got 20 years in jail. It amazes me that these guys are so savvy about the internet as to want to sell Twitter handles but somehow this kind of consequence for their swatting wasn't known or never occurred to them...

ForceFate

Honorary Master
There was a major story similar to this about a year ago where the guy getting swatted got shot accidentally and the swatter got 20 years in jail. It amazes me that these guys are so savvy about the internet as to want to sell Twitter handles but somehow this kind of consequence for their swatting wasn't known or never occurred to them...
They thought they won't get caught.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
Very suspicious, that. Typical behaviour of someone who's hiding something.
Suspicious? I am willing to bet you that finding armed SAPS members swarming over your property would cause you a few palpitations. And if that doesn't cause you to die, one of them will probably obligingly shoot you.