Telescope (Sky gazing) - which one to buy - R10K budget

surface

Executive Member
Any suggestions please although I am not very optimistic. I have been told to stretch the budget to at least 30K to get a decent enough quality.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Looked into something similar in the past realised how expensive it was decided to give up. Someone here did a great diy might be a better option for R10k best of luck on your endeavours though!

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Plus you need to be out of the city (so I've heard/read).

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
Looked into something similar in the past realised how expensive it was decided to give up. Someone here did a great diy might be a better option for R10k best of luck on your endeavours though!
I made one myself.
Not that hard, and I was a young woman at the time.
Maybe look into that seriously, OP.

I agree on the terrible seeing conditions in or near any major city though. It's deteriorated so much in the last 40 years.

Snyper564

Expert Member
I made one myself.
Not that hard, and I was a young woman at the time.
Maybe look into that seriously, OP.

I agree on the terrible seeing conditions in or near any major city though. It's deteriorated so much in the last 40 years.
I believe you were the person I was referring to. Respect!

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Just so we're clear. Your telescope will be used for looking at the stars and not for peering at potential targets? Cause you can get a decent one of the latter for R10k.

Diderot

Any suggestions please although I am not very optimistic. I have been told to stretch the budget to at least 30K to get a decent enough quality.
Orion sky quest xt8 is one of the better scopes for viewing..... Not so much for imaging

Eridanus optics have it for 7k I think. Its bulky but the optics are good and one can see the moons of jupiter, rings around saturn etc and a few deep sky objects in the city with it.

surface

Executive Member
Just so we're clear. Your telescope will be used for looking at the stars and not for peering at potential targets? Cause you can get a decent one of the latter for R10k.
eish, first rifle and now this. only for sky gazing purposes.

Whiskers81

Expert Member
Hi fellow gauteng'er :p as only a gauteng person would think of a rifle. :ROFL:
Nope a lot of gun enthusiast will think rifle when you say telescope.

So since you are refering to a telescope for star gazing it is best to be outside the city when using the telescope as the artificial light from the houses and street lights will have quite a big influence on your viewing experience.

surface

Executive Member
You can also be asking about a telescope for creeping and stalking purposes.
Nope a lot of gun enthusiast will think rifle when you say telescope.

So since you are refering to a telescope for star gazing it is best to be outside the city when using the telescope as the artificial light from the houses and street lights will have quite a big influence on your viewing experience.
amended title accordingly. :giggle: