Telescope (Sky gazing) - which one to buy - R10K budget

maumau

Honorary Master
http://www.skywatcher.co.za/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=150&products_id=922

Sky-Watcher 305mm (12") F/1500 Truss-Tube (Black Diamond)

Found this one; a bit over 10K but I suppose I can eat bread and water for a while. Anyone has this? And is it a proper telescope or some kind of telescope holder? I must say it looks very weird. I think I will have to visit Technopro in randburg soon.

View attachment 647336
Or you could phone them. That thing does look strange, like some sort of extension tube.

Maybe it's collapsible?

MirageF1

Expert Member
@surface PM me if you need info, I have been doing astro photography seriously for over a decade and own/have owned numerous diff types of scopes ( SCT, Refractors, Newt)

I also have a camera modification business on the side.

I would personally stay away from anything that isn't GEM i.e a Dob, as a primary instrument.

You need to think about weight, portability, tracking etc

I currently own (amongst other equip) a Celestron C11, William Optics 110ED APO, and Celestron and Skywatcher 80mm APO's as well as a Celestron CGEM mount, Astrotrac....

Attachments

Last edited:

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
Thanks. Sounds like a good idea but with one miniscule caveat. I cannot imagine SO being ecstatic about this considering backlog on home DIY stuff. :ROFL::ROFL:
Well, yes. You will need a space you can screen off as dust-free (as possible) at some stage, so there is a bit of disruption to the household.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
You must first start with a decent pair of binoculars. You will find them useful for many things, even if you eventually buy a telescope.

Unless you use them seriously, they are like a Ferrari. Nice decoration, and fun for occasional jaunts, but utterly impractical for everyday use, unless you live far away from congested urban areas.

I have lived in a household with telescopes for five decades. I may be jaded and cynical, but I speak from experience.

maumau

Honorary Master
You must first start with a decent pair of binoculars. You will find them useful for many things, even if you eventually buy a telescope.

Unless you use them seriously, they are like a Ferrari. Nice decoration, and fun for occasional jaunts, but utterly impractical for everyday use, unless you live far away from congested urban areas.

I have lived in a household with telescopes for five decades. I may be jaded and cynical, but I speak from experience.
One hundred million percent correct.

newby_investor

Expert Member
telescopeshop.co.za or eridanus optics are both decent, I have purchased from both.

My telescope has been in a box for a couple of years though, as life gets busy I value my sleep more and more. You can get away with using a telescope in the city, you still get decent views if you know where to look, though going out into the country is a lot better.

eg2505

Honorary Master
question for guys here, is it worth buying a telescope with those GPS mounts that adjust themselves automatically.

or is it just an expensive toy that never gets used.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
question for guys here, is it worth buying a telescope with those GPS mounts that adjust themselves automatically.

There's lots of technology for people who are too lazy to learn astronomy, and want to impress their friends by getting the telescope to point at Jupiter or Saturn.

There's lots of technology for people who are into astro-photography, which requires precise pointing over a period of several hours.

The best solution is to buy something that can fit your immediate needs, but still be upgraded later. Or even buy something cheap, which you can sell later, and upgrade if you really want.

For most people its part of a learning experience, so you probably want to adapt to your needs. There is nothing more wasteful than an expensive toy that gathers dust, after you have used it a few times.

newby_investor

Expert Member

That very much depends on you. I like the suggestion above to start off with a nice set of binoculars, you'd be surprised how far a set of 7x50s or 10x50s will get you. If you decide you like astronomy enough to keep going, then it may be justified to spend the extra cash.

Alternatively, look up your local branch of the astronomical society: assa.saao.ac.za

maumau

Honorary Master
Louwrens at Cameraworld in Bellville can help with good binoculars if you're in CT and if you decide to go that route.

EDIT: I don't work there and have nothing to gain or lose if you speak to him.

eye_suc

Expert Member
@surface whereabouts are you?

I highly recommend getting in touch with your local ASSA branch so that you can attend a star gazing event (normally held monthly during new moon/dark moon).
I joined the Cape Town branch and attended a few evenings. You are able to test out various different scopes and see what works for you. You don't even need to own anything to attend.

A friend of mine has a 6" Dobsonian (like the trussed one you linked) and he can see everything I can see with my 10" Newtonian on a GEM. Diffs is just he can be setup in 2 minutes, while mine takes ages.

surface

Executive Member
Thanks for ASSA recommendations guys. I am in Johannesburg so hopefully Jozi has same active members as Cape town..

Aquila ka Hecate

Expert Member
Thanks for ASSA recommendations guys. I am in Johannesburg so hopefully Jozi has same active members as Cape town..
I used to go to the Pretoria one as well - that was even better, as it had Johan Wolterbeek-Muller and the UNISA 'scope.:D
Edit: and Jack Bennet. Don't ever forget Jack Bennet.

newby_investor

Expert Member
There's a Jo'burg centre, and there's also the West Rand Astronomy Club which isn't a part of ASSA but are quite active.

surface

Executive Member
There's a Jo'burg centre, and there's also the West Rand Astronomy Club which isn't a part of ASSA but are quite active.
:thumbsup:
I used to go to the Pretoria one as well - that was even better, as it had Johan Wolterbeek-Muller and the UNISA 'scope.:D
Edit: and Jack Bennet. Don't ever forget Jack Bennet.
We stay approximately midway between pretoria assa & jhb assa. West rand club is 45kms so not too far either.. This is great..