Telkom’s first 100Mbps fibre to the home suburbs

william riker

wait, isn't Reservoir Hills in durban a working class surburb, how can they afford this ?

akescpt

Honorary Master
Screw u Telkom. All I want is 10 but no you intent on servicing a few users.

elvis_presley

Expert Member
wait, isn't Reservoir Hills in durban a working class surburb, how can they afford this ?
This information is wrong and out of date. It might not even be in the roll-out. I have enquired with Telkom and can confirm that at least 2 of the KZN suburbs aren't on their roll-out plans any more (Kloof, Everton - the 2 places most likely to be able to afford it). Their online coverage map is more up to date, though, and those 2 suburbs are now zones for 20/40mbit.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Telkom will be targeting the following areas in its FTTH rollouts in 2014.
Gauteng
Province Suburb
Gauteng Parkhurst
We see what you are doing there...
Competition does that kind of thing to incumbents.

Bosvark@

Expert Member
OMG... I seem to be "in area". Lets wait and see. There are a team digging holes every few meters down my road... This is probably it.

eddief1

Expert Member
PARKHURST ! I mean WTF....

Have the guys there not built their own FTTH network? Out of all the areas in SA, they add parkhurst...let the FTTH wars begin...anyway, out of pure principal I will rather support the Vumatel project.

Lazy

I get the distinct feeling that the same suburbs are involved every time Telkom does something new, which I suppose is to be expected. The adoption rate outside of those elite suburbs is what I'm more interested in. I'm afraid all these "Telkom are so great" articles that are appearing in the last few weeks reeks of marketing.

Inertia

Expert Member
I live in one of those suburbs and there has been no construction or movement... I guess they have 4 months to get started.

Renier

I'm in Cape Town (not one of those mentioned suburbs) and Telkom installed fiber on my street last week.

fiber2.jpg

Renier

I asked the contractors and they said their next step would be to pull fiber through to the homes.