Telkom’s killer uncapped ADSL prices

Yuu

Executive Member
Now do a comparison about the FUP levels of other ISPs and their limits ;). You don't pay for the Unlimited/Uncapped name but how much data is allocated. :)

Petec

Expert Member
Prices are starting to look good. FUP dependant though.

But TG, my adsl days are over... *Pets my R579pm, 20/20 uncapped fibre*

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Now do a comparison about the FUP levels of other ISPs and their limits ;). You don't pay for the Unlimited/Uncapped name but how much data is allocated. :)
I'm pretty sure the other ISPs wouldn't be willing to commit to a specific FUP...
Prices are starting to look good. FUP dependant though.

But TG, my adsl days are over... *Pets my R579pm, 20/20 uncapped fibre*
Telkom's FUPs have been published.

ponder

Honorary Master
I don't think the other ISPs publish their FUPs. Telkoms nightsurfer (00:00-0700) does not count towards the FUP and that alone could net you another 900GB/month on their 10Mb/s package or 350GB on the 4Mb/s package.

Yuu

Executive Member
I'm pretty sure the other ISPs wouldn't be willing to commit to a specific FUP...
Telkom's FUPs have been published.
I don't think the other ISPs publish their FUPs. Telkoms nightsurfer (00:00-0700) does not count towards the FUP and that alone could net you another 900GB/month on their 10Mb/s package or 350GB on the 4Mb/s package.
Yes, that alone should tell us all something ;).

pjviviers

My question is how this new packages gets shaped.

I prefered uncapped in the past, but when I found that I in fact use less than 100gig per month, I opted for a 200 per month cap at the same line speed and roughly the same price. The total experience in terms of video streaming improved dramaticaly, and I now prefer a capped acount. No use going uncapped if you dont get data throughput. A dubious FUP also dont help..

Ryansr

Expert Member
Telkom is a bully in DSL connectivity

As someone who do not use the voice line at all, I want to see the rental for voice line removed but Telkom is just a big bully currently with keeping this compulsory rental.

Therefor I cannot congratulate Telkom's blatant refusal to listen to disgruntled DSL subscribers like me on removing voice line rental, but then again Telkom knows that people like me don't have the infrastructure setup for fibre connectivity, so they will keep bullying us into paying that extra for just wanting a data only DSL connection (naked DSL)

Yuu

Executive Member
My question is how this new packages gets shaped.

I prefered uncapped in the past, but when I found that I in fact use less than 100gig per month, I opted for a 200 per month cap at the same line speed and roughly the same price. The total experience in terms of video streaming improved dramaticaly, and I now prefer a capped acount. No use going uncapped if you dont get data throughput. A dubious FUP also dont help..
See my post here explaining how the FUP works.

@Ryansr - they've now doing away with one wanting to pay the rental separately, maybe this is a step into that direction we all want. I'm seeing alot of positive comments on the packages pre-launch, so they doing something right. It can hopefully only get better going forward? Cautiously optimistic one must be however.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Why are you comparing premium uncapped product pricing to home uncapped pricing in your table? Apples and oranges.

MickeyD

RIP
As I posted elsewhere, these Telkom bundles are really awesome and they could disrupt the market in a big way. This is something I have been on about for many years... asking why Telkom did not use it's product basket to create very attractive bundles at competitive prices. Free calls, free installation, 3GB of mobile data, free midnight data, etc. are all value adds that make this a product that might even see some competitors running to ICASA or the CC.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
As I posted elsewhere, these Telkom bundles are really awesome and they could disrupt the market in a big way. This is something I have been on about for many years... asking why Telkom did not use it's product basket to create very attractive bundles at competitive prices. Free calls, free installation, 3GB of mobile data, free midnight data, etc. are all value adds that make this a product that might even see some competitors running to ICASA or the CC.
Their 4Mb/s Uncapped is only R29 less than CW's Home Premium Uncapped package, which is basically unshaped/unthrottled (in my experience anyway). I don't believe for a second that this Telkom package will perform in nearly the same way - so not a fair comparison.

MickeyD

RIP
Their 4Mb/s Uncapped is only R29 less than CW's Home Premium Uncapped package, which is basically unshaped/unthrottled (in my experience anyway). I don't believe for a second that this Telkom package will perform in nearly the same way - so not a fair comparison.
You need to view it from a bigger perspective. Telkom has a massive "moms and pops" customer base, which every other ISP will sacrifice their left nuts to get hold of...

By targeting the "average" user Telkom will score big time. Most of us here are not average users :p

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Does that include POTS line rental as well?

Dan C

Honorary Master
Good offering by Telkom, but unfortunately their product is not as good as for example Vox. Telkom ISP is almost 40ms more to UK gaming servers, so I hardly use mine. Even Netflix runs much smoother on VOX. But as mentioned, for the moms and pops it will be fine.

ichigo

Executive Member
Good offering by Telkom, but unfortunately their product is not as good as for example Vox. Telkom ISP is almost 40ms more to UK gaming servers, so I hardly use mine. Even Netflix runs much smoother on VOX. But as mentioned, for the moms and pops it will be fine.
Not sure what gaming servers you use, but get 168 ms to London on speedtest with my Telkom uncapped.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Not sure what gaming servers you use, but get 168 ms to London on speedtest with my Telkom uncapped.
No bloody ways :whistling: never seen anything lower than 190ms. But then again it's 40ms from EL to Cape Town. I don't think I'm going via Durbs

ichigo

Executive Member
No bloody ways :whistling: never seen anything lower than 190ms. But then again it's 40ms from EL to Cape Town. I don't think I'm going via Durbs
Strange does being on Fibre make a difference?