Telkom’s massive fibre network versus the rest

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yeah, and they roll out without being asked, which is nice.

Sorry other providers, you've lost a lot of Pretoria East unless you come in much cheaper for same or better speeds.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Yeah, and they roll out without being asked, which is nice.

Sorry other providers, you've lost a lot of Pretoria East unless you come in much cheaper for same or better speeds.
They are usually substantially cheaper uncapped, just can't justify with my usage though. Getting 100/50Mbps with a 300GB cap + uncapped midnight at R1020, meanwhile vuma uncapped is R1100+.

ekske1

Executive Member

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Vumatel was recently acquired by CIVH and has over 8,000km of fibre in the ground in the Johannesburg, Cape Town, and Durban areas.
So Vumatel's is not counting the connection between cities? What's OpenServe's distance without the inter-cities ones.
So much fibre, but none I can connect to.

On Vuma roadmap for 2019
Meanwhile Vuma is trenching in my area even though everyone has already signed up with OpenServe... (they trenched outside my house today).

onpartydig

So Vumatel's is not counting the connection between cities? What's OpenServe's distance without the inter-cities ones.

Meanwhile Vuma is trenching in my area even though everyone has already signed up with OpenServe... (they trenched outside my house today).
If I could choose, openserve would not even be on my list, lucky that Vumatel is also in your area.

Thor

Honorary Master
I hope the next 3 years we see a massive drive to connect as many people as possible.
Better infrastructure has never been a bad thing.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
They are usually substantially cheaper uncapped, just can't justify with my usage though. Getting 100/50Mbps with a 300GB cap + uncapped midnight at R1020, meanwhile vuma uncapped is R1100+.
That's expensive. My uncapped 100/100 fibre line through TT Connect & Vox sets me back about R800 p/m.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Just to be clear
Dark Purple is "Actual" FIBRE
Light Purple is "Future" FIBRE that does not yet exist and many never be provided
Light purple is where they are busy rolling out. The areas like Pretoria North/Montana Park and Wierda Park were light purple for a long time with small fractions of dark purple, now much more is dark purple than 12 months ago.

system32

Expert Member
BS.

Light purple is where they are installing fibre.
My wife has a medical practice in Glenvista, Jhb South.
Listed by openserv as FUTURE colour is Light purple.
She is only 500m from Telkom exchange.
There is no trenching by Openserv going on.
Vuma did their trenching end 2017.
Perhaps openserve are still in planning for the future.

Seems Vuma is eating their market.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I never paid a once off fee either and trenching for the 1st 20m was also free so it's difficult to understand the discrepancies between different companies. I didn't have to sign a 2 year contract either, mine is from month to month. So yeah let's go figure.
Yeah, I remember Vuma having R999 100/100Mbps inc. of install uncapped products a couple of years ago, now I only see them starting at R1200.