Telkom’s massive FTTH plans for SA

What is the typical upload rate on Telkom's 100mbps FTTH? Are they still doing a 10:1 ratio?

A million homes within three years is a very ambitious project. Hope it works.

A million homes within three years is a very ambitious project. Hope it works.

From my understanding Telkom do in some instances lease links from DFA...

If that is the case, go and have a look at DFA's coverage map and you will see that a million homes is probably an achievable target if a bit ambitious from a financial standpoint.

As long as it is open-access they can bring it on.

Remember it is homes passed not homes connected...

Then you can't call it FTTH?!? Fibre to the curb etc sure.

I would love to get an idea of the actual footprint, 38 000 homes connected, really? If that is true it is awesome, but sounds more like marketing speak which means 38 000 homes in range with the ability to be connected.

I am always wondering why none of the 38,000 people with fiber are posting Speedtest results here to brag about it.

I'll happy with a project coverage map please.

Then you can't call it FTTH?!? Fibre to the curb etc sure.

I would love to get an idea of the actual footprint, 38 000 homes connected, really? If that is true it is awesome, but sounds more like marketing speak which means 38 000 homes in range with the ability to be connected.
No, it's not FttC. To connect the homes once it is "passed" is pretty quick. The current MSAN rollout is FttC and Telkom are currently only providing DSL off it.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to install more LTE towers than to connect individual homes?

Back