Telkom’s monopoly costs SA economy R 50-Billion

Title should then read 'Government's telecommunication ineptitude costs SA economy R 50-Billion' That's a staggering amount of money to be lost.

What bugs me most about this sector - is we hear the same thing over and over - we all know Telkoms cost business and consumers uber cash, we all know ICASA doesn't really have teeth to fight for our rights. We all know it can't go on for so many different reasons.

And nothing ever changes - if business and consumers wanted to force the issue they could - but we are laden with apathy and no effective route to make change.

IMO ICASA and the Govt quite simply fail us on this matter.

Shows the priorities of the gvt. Rather use all that money for all the Aids victims and crime, for which they care so much apparently.

When it goes to the gvt, who gets it in the end? If its for the benefit of SA, then so be it. If that implied that we (gvt) used that money for some other uplifting projects, then that's still ok. If that money went to some affirmative action varsite student processing passports at home affairs, then not so good.

We've lost R50 billion in overpaying for substandard services but I bet the amount lost by businesses and the economy being strangled and unable to grow dwarfs that.

What was the famous quote made by Stalin... “The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions, a statistic"
The economy losing R50bn won’t bug the powers-that-be so much as what losing something of personal value would. Look at how the parliamentarians lost the plot when striking security guards broken a couple of their cars windscreens in Cape Town, only then did they bitch!

You can throw statistics like R50bn at them till you are blue in the face, they don’t give a damn!

HosstheBoss: And unfortunately they never will because a lot of them, most prominently Ivy herself. have no idea what their telephone bill is.

We've lost R50 billion in overpaying for substandard services but I bet the amount lost by businesses and the economy being strangled and unable to grow dwarfs that.

bingo ! It is very difficult to put a figure on what this country's loosing every day because of idiotic government (and their inability to even grasp the concept ) - there should've been millions of dollars pouring in daily from all over the World - from call centres, online ventures, IT outsourcing, you name it

Small country like Holland probably turns more money online than the whole South African economy but hey, we are in Africa, lets keep making wooden masks

Yup, exactly the way i see it. Blaming Telkom won't get you far since they are doing what most do but the gov should have fixed this problem already and the blame rests with them.

Yup, exactly the way i see it. Blaming Telkom won't get you far since they are doing what most do but the gov should have fixed this problem already and the blame rests with them.
Ivy salary is paid whether she does the work or not. It's not that Icasa has no teeth, its that Mbeki has no teeth.

[)roi(];659009 said:
Ivy salary is paid whether she does the work or not. It's not that Icasa has no teeth, its that Mbeki has no teeth.

Mbeki has no spine! Look at the way he handles AIDS and Zimbabwe. Why should telecommunications be any different?

bingo ! It is very difficult to put a figure on what this country's loosing every day because of idiotic government (and their inability to even grasp the concept ) - there should've been millions of dollars pouring in daily from all over the World - from call centres, online ventures, IT outsourcing, you name it

Small country like Holland probably turns more money online than the whole South African economy but hey, we are in Africa, lets keep making wooden masks

I had a chuckle to that.:D
As for the rest all you guys are spot on, but moslty the statement is not that suprising, 50 bill at least.

Presumably the government has lost out too on the tax on 50 Billion. Heno, you have a point but all the action could have been taken by govenment prior to privatisation in 2001. Government could have used the rich to subsidize connections to schools and businesses in under serviced and impoverished areas with little or no trouble.

don't be mistaking the gov havent lost anything, we the public aka. the cash cow has lost that.

Hmmm....

don't be mistaking the gov havent lost anything, we the public aka. the cash cow has lost that.

Hmm, this is probably exactly the way the government also thinks. But it's simply not true.

Consider the possiblility that the government gives up their stake in Telkom, and the industry is 100% deregulated to such an extent that you do not even need a license for providing any kind of fixed line/sat or any other telekoms service.

At least 4 local companies have the existing capability to also provide the services that Telkom provide and MANY MANY international telekoms providers do as well.

This will force telekoms costs to be afordable enough for the avarage middle-income person (especially the new emergin middle-income consumers).

This in-turn will cause exponential growth (business and other), and spawn major major Job creation in South Africa. Remember, acceptable telekoms costs is not only good for the ITC industry, but also for EVERY other industry in SA.

As a result, since the government gets up to 40% of capital gains (and profit) of any company and an aditional -up to 40%- of costs in sallaries, the government will very likely make an additional 100x50Billion over the next 10 years at an exponential growth factor of 10.

But the everage Goverment employee has no vision, they see money and the want it. Someone should just tell them that they can make more money by deregulating the industry and giving up their share/s in telkom.

Trust me when I say the Telkom shareholders dont care and neither does auntie Ivy

Back