Telkom ADSL 384kbps – Please rate your connection

Please rate your Telkom ADSL 384kbps connection on speed, stability and reliability

• 5 – Excellent (much better than expected)

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • 4 – Good (better than expected)

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • 3 – Fair (exactly as expected)

Votes: 67 43.8%
  • 2 – Bad (worse than expected)

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • 1 – Pathetic (much worse than expected)

Votes: 11 7.2%

• Total voters

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Hi there

Can you please rate your Telkom ADSL connection on speed, stability and reliability? Do you get what you expected, or is your experience better or worse than what you expected.

Important: Please only rate your connection, NOT your ISP (that will come later)

It will be great if you can also tell us:

• What can Telkom do to improve the service and make you a happier customer?

Please post your comments in this thread (by posting your views you will stand a chance to win an iPad 2).

D3x!

Banned
cant really complain, at least my service is stable. Issue is the pricing and the fact you have to have a phone line at a monthly cost. time they bump 384 to 512!!

Jola

Honorary Master
Tested in Vredehoek (High Cape) in Cape Town, not impressed.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
cant really complain, at least my service is stable. Issue is the pricing and the fact you have to have a phone line at a monthly cost. time they bump 384 to 512!!

+1, but make that 1024 .... anything under is definitely not broadband :whistling:

D3x!

Banned
+1, but make that 1024 .... anything under is definitely not broadband :whistling:

yeah obviously faster is better but i am being reasonable, like a meet us halfway kind of thing. seeing as though 512 was bumped to 1mb

bekdik

Honorary Master
384 performs exactly as I would expect from 384, so how can I answer better? It cannot perform as 1M!

I don't understand the choices above 'exactly as expected' if I'm to ignore ISP.

Less than as expected indicates a problem which should be attended to, which, if it's in Telkom's ambit, is a whole new discussion.

Last edited:

Myzer

Stay in the Vaal Area, and always had good and cositent speeds on 384K.

And must say I reckon a speed increase, is well overdue.

MikeCTZA

Expert Member
My connection performs as I expect it to. I know I want more speed; but for what 384kbps costs it is about what I am willing to pay for my ADSL (obviously need to pay ISP too).
Telkom increases the higher end speeds but not the 384kbps speeds, I feel the entry level speed should be pushed up, I'd consider paying a tad more for say 1mbps but not as the pricing stands now.
I have had good experiences with line faults and all (bar one - lightning hit the exchange) have been sorted speedily enough. I even got credit back on my phone bill for the time my link was down the once.

GarethC

In Somerset West, have had a Telkom 384 line for 5 years, always been stable and achieve near to max download/upload speeds.

Line rental should be lowered, else upgraded to 512/1024.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
Performs better then I expected. Just wish the price came down.

scon

Nothing to report on my connection. It is 384kb line. There hasn't been any extended times of not being connected. So I guess I can't complain.

I do agree with the others though, a bump to 512kb or 1mb is well overdue. Alternatively, unbundling the voice line would allow us to opt for faster connections. We don't even have a phone connected to our voice line...

bulletgti

384 Line.
Running stable in the Glenroy Park Area in Port Elizabeth. Maybe because I'm one of only a few that has ADSL there.

speed - Think it's time Telkom moved these up to 512 at least, but at least I still get all my downloads I need in due time.
stability - no issues, it is always up. Especially now that im running a Cisco router
reliability - it is always up and running when i need it :)

kilobits

Executive Member
My 384 performs as it is expected to perform. To Telkom's credit, it has been on without fault since it was activated. It works at full speed and all the time. Cannot get 1Mb as there are exchange challenges... tried it for a week and had endless hassles... reverted to 384 and it is flawless again.

Telkom... sort out your exchanges if you are ever going to ditch 384 and really scrap this line rental tax crap.

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
384kb/s line is stable at about 38-40 kbps - time Telkom made minimum speed 1MBps ... , LOL

chickenbeef

Executive Member
My 384 performs as expected, would be nice to have it bumped up to 512 though.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
I think we on a 384 line although the paperwork says 512. I am happy with the service and don't know enough to know if my line is slow or fast. I would hope I am getting what I pay for. I would love it if telkom had a look at my line and upgraded it.

abudabi

Expert Member
I get what I pay for.. nothing more nothing less. Seems pretty stable too.