Telkom ADSL 384kbps – Please rate your connection

Please rate your Telkom ADSL 384kbps connection on speed, stability and reliability

• 5 – Excellent (much better than expected)

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • 4 – Good (better than expected)

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • 3 – Fair (exactly as expected)

Votes: 67 43.8%
  • 2 – Bad (worse than expected)

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • 1 – Pathetic (much worse than expected)

Votes: 11 7.2%

• Total voters

Helghast

GoldenFinger
Get max speed with DL's most of the time, so happy with that, it does cut out from time to time tho, but not as much as before.

Greggle

Speed: Not that great but then I am used to Cell C Whoooosh.
Stability: Good
Reliability: Fair.

What can Telkom do to improve the service and make you a happier customer?
- I think that they should offer a 384kbps for free if you have a Telkom Phone line! A 512kbps should then be the price of the current 384kbps and so on.
- I mostly get what I expect until something goes wrong. Then I pull my hair out trying to get through to the correct department at Telkom (cos usually there voice activated options are not working properly) and you end up in the wrong place.
- They could offer more trouble-shooting tips and advice on their website in order to empower users to resolve issues themselves.

kimbo

Expert Member
Here in Allanridge my line is very unstable, modem reboots for no apparent reason and it all started after a big storm we had. I tried another modem and get the same, also people with the same line gets the same thing.
But when it works it is what you can expect of a 384 line, useable but not lightning.

wheunis

My 384k performs as it should - as I expected it to.
Telkom can definitely focus on better customer service, and it's about high time that the linespeed is upgraded (as with higher linespeeds recently getting upgraded).

T-Man

384k - well it's 384k. Not great download speeds, unable to watch Youtube without buffering.

I've had 384 for about 10 years now, has been down only something like 10 days in total - much more stable/reliable than 3G.

Unfortunately my line does not permit higher speeds due to distance from the exchange. Recently it also appears that the exchange is becoming congested.

Vischal

Works well for us :)

Except for the occassional cable theft and the hassle it takes to get back online the speed and stability when we are connected is excellent for our needs and suits our pocket just fine!

APoc184

Honorary Master
At least it is consistent but it is 2012 and I believe 384 is not broadband.

Scrap 384 and bump up all the users to 1Mbps. That should be entry level ADSL.

IvanRSA

Please rate your Telkom ADSL connection on speed, stability and reliability?

It is hard to rate considering I have never used Telkom as my ISP (happily using MWEB uncapped).
Speed - Obviously 384 is not ideal, but I seem to be maxing out my line (both up and down) the last few months (when I had the line activated in 2010 the tech told me that it would be foolish to get anything more than 384 because despite the fact that the exchange a 100m up the road was upgraded, the entire bandwidth down the street from the exchange was a single 4MB connection...)
Stability - The connection has been very stable for the last couple of months
Reliability - Had about 3 weeks of downtime in January 2011 - apparently due to the exchange being struck by lightning. The fault logged and response from Telkom was utterly useless. I called daily for the entire 3 weeks without any status updates or estimated time of repair completion.

Do you get what you expected, or is your experience better or worse than what you expected?

The experience is mostly what I expected.

What can Telkom do to improve the service and make you a happier customer?

Upgrade the entry level ADSL speeds; 384 is simply not really broadband. However, if you can't also ensure stability and reliability in the same vein, don't bother.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Berea, Durban

I'm content with my connection, I'm always hitting next to full line speed and its always up.

A bump up in speed would be nice, since everybody else got one :/

lomcevak

Speed is not bad. I'm on uncapped, so speeds during office hours aren't great, but if I change to an unshaped capped account the speeds are better.

I would like to see this entry level line bump up to 512k, but to be honest I am happy with the Telekom link side of things. Just need to match ISP and account type to the type of useage.

ponder

Honorary Master
Full line speed & very little issues over a period of 7yrs.

ld13

Honorary Master
My 384 has become 'worse than expected' here in Gordons Bay. Beyond the monthly ~12hour+ DSLAM outages (no traffic on DSLAM) we now have to accept 1000ms local pings... :(

MarkI

I get the speed I'm signed up for so no complaints there. I do think that for the price we should be bumped to 512kbps as the default.

J0n0

Expert Member
Speeds are slow as to be expected on 384. Then again, not all of us can afford the premium for a faster line. Bump up the speed, and drop the analog line rental if you use data only because right now, R 520 for an uncapped package at this poor speed is just way overpriced.

Eppi

My connection is stable. Speeds are good in the evening. Haven't experienced downtime. Everything is what I expect from a 384 line.

DeathStrike

Expert Member
I use mweb uncapped now. started on telkom DO level 1

So far my line has never given me issues. been on 384 for 4 years. my first modem finally packed up a month ago. got new one. line still works.

mweb provides excellent data. love it all. i do about 35GB a month.