Telkom ADSL 384kbps – Please rate your connection

Please rate your Telkom ADSL 384kbps connection on speed, stability and reliability

• 5 – Excellent (much better than expected)

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • 4 – Good (better than expected)

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • 3 – Fair (exactly as expected)

Votes: 67 43.8%
  • 2 – Bad (worse than expected)

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • 1 – Pathetic (much worse than expected)

Votes: 11 7.2%

• Total voters

robw

In general the connection is reliable and what I expected - I would hope that 384 customers would be bumped up to 512 though at the same price.....

jeremyd

It's been very stable and reliable and when there was a problem, it took them less time to fix than the problem I had with 3G. To improve - will increase the speeds with a reasonable increase in costs.

Shan21

Scottburgh area, KZN.

Consistent, stable & reliable. Maybe 3-4 dropouts in the last 5years but was mainly due to router issues.

Would be nice to either have line rental price drop or an increase in the baseline speed to 512 for the same rental - they've already been increasing caps!

entrepr

Expert Member
I've recently had a lot of issues which appear to be 'sync'-ing or similar. When I reboot the modem, the line works again.

It is exasparating how often the line goes down and how long it takes before someone comes out to fix it.

The concept of 384kbps is archaic. I am on it because there are so many specials focusing on that package, but if it was bumped up to 512 as a basic it would make more sense. I'm prepared to pay a little more but not a huge fee. The upload speed is even slower and that speed is truly archaic.

foX2delta

It does what it should, better that I expected though.

Although I do get a disconnect about once a day or two, not that I notice, only see it in my logs.

Novoca1ne

Techies that speak proper English would be nice and more maintenance on the box outside.

Simply connecting our telephone to a new port, in certain situations swapping telephone numbers with neighbours, is not good enough.

Mr_Bee

Mine is excellent, even with all the monkeys (real ones) running on the line, it still remains full speed - seriously.

bokka1

Expert Member
Mine is pathetic, it crawls and should not be called broadband.

charlieb

After initial problems with the telephone line, especially after rain, the cable has been replaced and now I have a good stable connection. Downloads are usually about 40kbps.
I would like a faster connection but as I have plenty of time, being retired, it is not a major issue.
Cost is an issue though and I would like to have Telkom bundle more data with their offering and reduce the cost of the ADSL connection.

Ender

I've had a very stable 384 connection for the last few years and am satisfied with my ADSL, however when things do go wrong I dread contacting the customer service centre. Telkom's ADSL support & customer service need to improve. There also seem to be a lack of the products & services at some of the Telkom shops.

tiredadmin

Paying for the lowest speed and getting it. Meets my needs and is stable.
Watching youtube can be a pain, but it is to be expected at 384kbps.

bjoselyn

Service is running great at full speed in the Gresswold area of Johannesburg from the Bramley exchange.

Speed: It would be great if Telkom could do away with the 384 service and upgrade all those customers to faster speeds at no extra cost as they have done with other faster lines. Even if it was just to 512, that would be an improvement. The 384 customers have been left out in the cold. Other than that, the speed is at the full line speed of 384K.

Stability: The line is completely stable in this area. No drops. Once it is connected, it stays connected until I disconnect.

Reliablilty: The service is reliable and available when needed. It is very seldom down. I get around 80-90% uptime.

LukeRh

Running well in cape town, crawford area. Speed, stability all decent this side.

])ragon_\/oid

Expert Member
Connection speed was bad the first month, but after going to iMax, it is perfect, it was as expected, if not better than expected. Stability wise, I only had one down time that past year (Connector got loose). The reliability of this service is brilliant(Only get slowed down from time to time), as a matter a fact, if I upgrade to 1Mb, I wish it is just as reliable. Over all, I cant complain, after all, my connection speed went from 0.10mb/s to 0.34/5Mb/s after upgrading to iMax.

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
I have the 384kbps line.

The download speed I get is okay (37 - 49kb/s). The upload speed is not great (10.0kb/s).

I think they should upgrade this to the 512kbps Line for free, 384kbps is not broadband in my opinion.

tsume

The Pervy Sage
Please post your comments in this thread (by posting your views you will stand a chance to win an iPad 2).[/QUOTE]

speed
Mmmm, it what is. Slow. This type of speed is not suitable for familys most likely the single bachelor who doesn't have to share the line with anyone else. Even youtubing and getting stuff from gmail at the same time prove problematic. 384kbps should be outlawed in my opinion.

stability & reliability
My line was quite stable until some weeks ago, now my DSL has not been synching. Tried to call Telkom 3 days in a row couldn't get through until the 4th day. I was told its a problem with ISP Afrihost not Telkom. Phoned the next day, I was told there is likely a fault. A week after reporting the fault is when only a technician came and said there was problem but someone else who deals more with the type of problem needs to be called...maybe on Thursday.

What can Telkom do to improve the service and make you a happier customer?
-Increase the speed
-Better & quicker customer service

hvf

cant really complain, at least my service is stable. Issue is the pricing and the fact you have to have a phone line at a monthly cost. time they bump 384 to 512!!

+1

Rocco1

Expert Member
I have the 384kbps line.

The download speed I get is okay, and usually stable. It does sometimes take longer to sinc.
It seems quite stable since they moved the connection to a closer dslam.

For me to be happier - to not have to wait for U-tube videos to buffer!!!
I do not think that 384kbps is broadband internet, and that all 384kbps connections should be upgraded to 1Mbps connections (where it sincs as close to that as the connections allows). This should be a free migration.