Telkom ADSL 384kbps – Please rate your connection

Please rate your Telkom ADSL 384kbps connection on speed, stability and reliability

• 5 – Excellent (much better than expected)

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • 4 – Good (better than expected)

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • 3 – Fair (exactly as expected)

Votes: 67 43.8%
  • 2 – Bad (worse than expected)

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • 1 – Pathetic (much worse than expected)

Votes: 11 7.2%

• Total voters

Shahil

My parents line is pretty cool. Great when you just need access for mail and for iPad apps. I, on the other hand, would like to actually have the line installed. Seems to be too many different people involved that need to do work before I have a cable sticking out in my kitchen. Sigh.

d7e7r7

Executive Member
Got a 384 line...
It's always up and running, just wish they'd bump up the speeds to a more international norm soon...

schumi

Honorary Master
No down time in over a year, line stats are good and reaches full speed as advertised no complaints here.

PapercutPrincess

Speed - It is sometimes on the slow side, but otherwise it is alright. It would be nice if they upped it as everyone else has already said.

Stability - We've had a few problems with the line over the years but other than that, it's 100%. Always up and running :)

Reliability - Same as above.

To improve... Well, the speed! As said before, it would be awesome if they could increase the speed haha.

soulman

Line attenuation 51db with pings of > 300ms. (very poor)

Speed & Stability - Connection is extremely slow and unreliable.

To improve - the line attenuation.

Telkom Tech support is unhelpful.

Not getting what I pay for.

Looking for another broadband provider.

vladwasgreat

Using the 384k is as good as expected. for the slowest line, it suffices, and its good that Telkom upgrade the caps once in a while. cost is still too high though

cerebus

Honorary Master
I'd give it an 7 out of 10 - no outages and speeds are what I'd expect. I still gall at paying a line rental charge but I suppose that's not relevant to the connection, which I have no complaints about. However I do find that latencies are too high during the weekdays especially working on a VM.

hellfire

Honorary Master
It's not bad for what it is.
Never had downtime issues, although month end can sometimes result in a slowdown (yes even for a 384 line).
Looking forward to the next bump up to 512!

greatwyt

im Running it in Wynberg Cape town. it used to be quite awesome but lately its been unstable. lovely that they keep bumping up the cap, but i would love to increase my speed. then again this is the cheapest and well... you get what you paid for

the connectivity is always there and reliable but the speed tends to fluctuate. especially online gaming unfortunately

Segg

Expert Member
I used to have an attenuation of 65db, and after about a year of complaining they managed to reduce it to 25db, and increase my SNR from about 12db to 42db (download stats)

DieGrasMan

Better than expected. I do have an issue though...Timeouts. Line timeouts, local and international does not matter which ISP. Telkom says they cant do anything about it :( Made me a sad panda.

Still, when it works, better than expected (4) :)

Cryax

I've only had 384kbps for 3 days and I am not impressed the max speed I'm getting is 20kbps even at night.

Last edited:

Mr.CookieMonster

Expert Member
I used to get 40kb/s on my ADSL 384kbps, now i get half and below. My Line stats are okay, and exchange is not congested.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Just downloaded "The Debian Handbook" in all available formats on my 384kb/sline and at times was getting 52kb/s - not too shabby ...