Telkom ADSL and fibre shock

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist

Telkom released its interim results for the six months ended 30 September 2019, which show a big decline in fixed-broadband subscribers.

Telkom’s fixed-line broadband subscribers - which include ADSL, VDSL, and fibre-to-the-home customers - declined from 974,181 in September 2018 to 781,255 in September 2019.

Louis72

Expert Member
Comes from a company that wonders why when it takes them 2 weeks to upgrade an ISP account from Softcap to Uncapped :ROFL:

In 2018 it took them 8 months to transfer a fibre line from a deceased owners account to a new owner.

system32

Expert Member
Telkom had a massive network lead (monopoly) and blew it.

Whenever they close an ADSL line, the customer has many choices.
Telkom is only able to retain a few of the customers because there are many excellent other options.

ADSL networks: 1
Change to:
Fiber Network Operators: 35+​
Cellular Networks: 5 + Neotel​
WISP: lots​

wingnut771

Honorary Master
i guess they don't count openserve in these stats, i mean if a consumer leaves openserve/telkom isp adsl for openserve/ah/supersonic/axxess fiber, have openserve actually lost anything?

boboudts

Comes from a company that wonders why when it takes them 2 weeks to upgrade an ISP account from Softcap to Uncapped :ROFL:

In 2018 it took them 8 months to transfer a fibre line from a deceased owners account to a new owner.

Yskasmetnstoof

Telkom released its interim results for the six months ended 30 September 2019, which show a big decline in fixed-broadband subscribers.

Telkom’s fixed-line broadband subscribers - which include ADSL, VDSL, and fibre-to-the-home customers - declined from 974,181 in September 2018 to 781,255 in September 2019.
Maybe if they actually offered connections to their fibre....?

Yskasmetnstoof

I use Telkom cause where I live there is no fibre yet ( stops 2 streets away) and their LTE fixed is the fastest.... BUT.....I will not touch them if it is not prepaid.

rodmur

I did not migrage because of their shocking service and in particular the attitude of their staff and dysfunctional web site

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master

what shock?

boboudts

Not surprising...Telkom called me in Oudthoorn "telling" me, that they were ripping out my landline and then still enforced their "obligatory" 60 day notice of cancellation on ME?

As far as I am concerned, their left hand doesn't even know they have a right hand to talk to and deserve their upcoming demise!

Client services and "communication skills" are clearly lacking from this dictatorial mob masquerading as a telecoms provider.

When I enquired about the future of fibre in Oudthoorn, I eventually gave up on the geography lesson with the "robot" and her check list as she had no clue or interest in where our town was and just wanted to tick her boxes!

In any event I cancelled the service and will resort to my inexpensive mobile phone arrangement.

Bye, bye Telkom!

FGA

why am I not surprised at this incompetence, I live in an estate where its locked into Telkom and another isp and I cant change either

MRTOM

Telkom had it all they blew it.Cought napping they should have by now had most of the country connected with fiber but hey lets milk the customers on rotten 50 year old copper and let other fibre providers take it all.200 IQ

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Before Vuma came into Mitchells Plain with Mitchells Fibre, i actually contacted Open Serve to find out why they are not jumping on the potential of the area, with a similar low cost fibre rollout. Mitchells Plain itself has over a couple hundred thousand residents, many who make use of ADSL. So if you had proper people in place to plan these things, you would have run some report indicating how many people are making use of ADSL. Then target them with Fibre, and do a staggered rollout of sorts.

Its clear that the management at telkom/openserve dont have a clue as to what is happening right now @Nikkel @jdido87 @mandana