Telkom ADSL customers drop below 200,000

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
ADSL on its last legs in South Africa

Telkom's latest annual results revealed it lost almost 130,000 DSL customers in the past year, dragging down the operator's overall fixed broadband base.

Although Telkom does not provide specific numbers for its DSL customers, this figure can be calculated by subtracting the number of fibre customers connected to its network from its broadband subscribers.

CommonSense

I don't know if this is 100% true:

"Although Telkom does not provide specific numbers for its DSL customers, this figure can be calculated by subtracting the number of fibre customers connected to its network from its broadband subscribers."

Does this take into account any Frame Relay or Diginet or even ISDN services also being cancelled by companies moving over to other types of connectivity. Those run over legacy copper connections as well.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Telkom really shot itself in the foot with the way it's handled the decommissioning of its copper network. They woke up too late to the realisation that customers didn't want an inferior wireless replacement for their fixed copper lines which is what they offered to a lot of customers who didn't fall within their fibre footprint.

mypetcow

As soon as Starlink has ICASA certification it will be game over for any Telkom fixed line services in remote places. Regardless if telephone or DSL.
I mean at 100Mbit+ up/down for +- R1,500 a month where you would otherwise only get a handful of ADSL Mbit sounds like a great deal to me.

On a completely unrelated note: Anyone know how I can short sell Telkom stock? Or get some put options? I can only seem to be able to buy and sell stock as well as covered calls on all platforms :p

deweyzeph

Executive Member
As soon as Starlink has ICASA certification it will be game over for any Telkom fixed line services in remote places. Regardless if telephone or DSL.
I mean at 100Mbit+ up/down for +- R1,500 a month where you would otherwise only get a handful of ADSL Mbit sounds like a great deal to me.

On a completely unrelated note: Anyone know how I can short sell Telkom stock? Or get some put options? I can only seem to be able to buy and sell stock on all platforms :p

You could say the same for the WIFI Wisps that are currently servicing farms all over South Africa.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Surely they can just pull fibre through the copper network and just upgrade the exchange?

Telkom are sitting on a goldmine with their installed infrastructure.

thewusman

Expert Member
"Copper is rapidly being replaced by fibre as the latter is a faster and more reliable technology."

Well, certainly not in Port Elizabeth if you're on FrogFoot Fibre.

Then it's pure torture.