Telkom ADSL - Good For Online Gaming?

Hi guys and girls, I am stuck in a little situation whereby no one is able to help me, maybe you guys have some of the answers I am looking for?

I recently bought a house and moved in about 4 weeks ago, I have been struggling with internet service providers, Telkom can only offer me a 2mb line, all other companies can not supply me with better internet, I even explored those satellite installations for internet without any luck as there is no line of sight to my house.

Will a 2mb line from Telkom (VDSL) be sufficient to play some online games such as Counterstrike global offensive and PUBG? - Steam based games.

I really need some answers regarding this 2mb line thing.

DanDango

Executive Member
Yes, 2Mbps is fine, for Toti to steam CSGO server in Jo'burg my ping is 36 to 56 ms. Fortnite run smooth on the EU servers. I can play CSGO in softcap, softcap is when telkom limits the line to 386Kbp.

Last edited:
Hi guys and girls, I am stuck in a little situation whereby no one is able to help me, maybe you guys have some of the answers I am looking for?

I recently bought a house and moved in about 4 weeks ago, I have been struggling with internet service providers, Telkom can only offer me a 2mb line, all other companies can not supply me with better internet, I even explored those satellite installations for internet without any luck as there is no line of sight to my house.

Will a 2mb line from Telkom (VDSL) be sufficient to play some online games such as Counterstrike global offensive and PUBG? - Steam based games.

I really need some answers regarding this 2mb line thing.
2mb is enough for playing most online games. I survived with a 2mb line for quite some time because it was untill recently the best I could get. Played enough Dota, CSGO and swtor to know it is doable...

Some things you are going to need to remember.

Keep your bandwidth under control. If any other device so much as touches the internet your ping will spike like crazy.
You will be able to stream but don't expect HD.
Downloading new games are going to take a while so be patient. Download every second you are not busy gaming.

2mb is enough for playing most online games. I survived with a 2mb line for quite some time because it was untill recently the best I could get. Played enough Dota, CSGO and swtor to know it is doable...

Some things you are going to need to remember.

Keep your bandwidth under control. If any other device so much as touches the internet your ping will spike like crazy.
You will be able to stream but don't expect HD.
Downloading new games are going to take a while so be patient. Download every second you are not busy gaming.
Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback, would you rather suggest mweb 2mb or Telkom or even perhaps Afrihost?

Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback, would you rather suggest mweb 2mb or Telkom or even perhaps Afrihost?
Go read around the thread and see how the other users feel about Afrihost. I am sure you will find them the least attractive choice right now.

My suggestion would be to get your voice line installed by telkom and then contact Vox (who I am currently using and have had decent enough service from) to have your data line installed (still done by Telkom but will be managed by ISP) but have Vox manage the line on your behalf.

If you don't want to use Vox, feel free to use Axxess as well. I am sure some users could suggest decent ISPs but those are the ones I have experience with.

Yes, 2Mbps is fine, for Toti to steam CSGO server in Jo'burg my ping is 36 to 56 ms. Fortnite run smooth on the EU servers. I can play CSGO in softcap, softcap is when telkom limits the line to 386Kbp.
Thanks so much for the feedback, I will go for the 2mb line installation then :)

Yeah Vox had no issues when I was with them. Stay away from Afrihost.

Reason - A few years back they kept saying Telkom was the issue with ADSL users. 6 months later they admitted it was themselves having issues. Yet they charged everyone full price and never refunded. Only the sheep remained with Afrihost

Vox on the other hand. Was with them for 3 years. Not one issue

dews

For lower pings you can request TelkomZA on this forum to set your telephone line on an exclusion list for the ASSIA interpolation.

Basically ASSIA its a thing that Telkom introduced in 2016 that tries to make your line more stable (by lowering the speed) if you have a bad copper connection.
In my experience if you have a bad line, you just have a bad line, and it has to be fixed, and this software they introduced increases your ping by quite a lot.

By default your new line will be set to "interleaved" mode, and you can see this on your router stats.
- Interleaved mode - its the safest,most stable way to insure connection, but it drops your speed
- Fastpath mode - no trying to get the most stable line, and will have the lowest ping, if your line is OK.

Interleaved mode can add like 20ms ping. So if you want the lowest ping, ask to have it set to Fastpath, and have your line added to a exclusion list, otherwise the next time you reboot the router, it will go back to interleaved mode.

Yeah Vox had no issues when I was with them. Stay away from Afrihost.

Reason - A few years back they kept saying Telkom was the issue with ADSL users. 6 months later they admitted it was themselves having issues. Yet they charged everyone full price and never refunded. Only the sheep remained with Afrihost

Vox on the other hand. Was with them for 3 years. Not one issue
Vox has been acting up a bit for me for international gaming, been switching to my Axxess capped account more often now during peak periods for gaming (been experiencing much better throughput and latency).