Telkom ADSL speed upgrades – final dates

Salazzar

Had to upgrade my Afrihost account as well, hope I could get a discount. Kind of enjoying my 4mbps, I wish my exchange could support 10 meg, really wanted to go to 10meg.

pezulu

Expert Member
I am on a 4mbps/10mbps.
The router shows my speed as 10mbps, yet I am only getting 4mbps.
broadbandstats.co.za shows that my exchange is 10mbps enabled, but max speed is 4mbps.

07_10

My 1Mbps line has already been upgraded to 2Mbps.

They're ahead of schedule :D

shakebake

My router shows speed as 4mbps, www.telkom.co.za/checkadsl shows that I'm on 10mbps but that max speed in my area is 4mbps.

broadbandstats.co.za states that my exchange is 10mbps enabled, but max speed is 4mbps.

What does all of this mean, how can I get 10mbps? :)

What does it mean when it says exchange is 10mbps enabled, max speed 4?

TheLaggingShaman

My situation is identical to shakebake's above. No idea if my line has been upgraded to 10mbps like it should have been according to Telkom's dates, and the info (same as above) is contradictory

Johnfpro

Had to upgrade my Afrihost account as well, hope I could get a discount. Kind of enjoying my 4mbps, I wish my exchange could support 10 meg, really wanted to go to 10meg.

I have a similar problem with the exchange not supporting anything faster than 4Mbps. I suspect that this issue is more extensive than Telkom let on.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
What's happening on the Telkom ISP side of things, in relation to this change?

Kawak

Damn you Telkom!! what do you mean no one is complaining? I'm in Kempton and was DOWNGRADED!!!!! (4/10 working on 7 to a 4 totally dead) my clients in Bedfordview also got DOWNGRADED (from a 4/10 working on 5 to a 4 barely working).

This upgrade made everything worse, it is really ridiculous, haven't had a shred of ADSL working since monday so honestly!!!!

Allin

Expert Member
My 1Mbps line has already been upgraded to 2Mbps.

They're ahead of schedule :D
Quite a few people know noticed the same thing. Now for the ISPs to do their thing. Seldom that Telkom is ahead of the ISPs!

MickeyD

RIP
Any idea what will happen with what was the 4?
In theory 4 should be moved to "up to 10" but that will depend on exchange infrastructure, i.e. are there still 10Mbps ports available on the DSLAM, is there a 10Mbps DSLAM in the exchange, what is the condition of the copper access network in your area, etc.?

copacetic

King of the Hippies
In theory 4 should be moved to "up to 10" but that will depend on exchange infrastructure, i.e. are there still 10Mbps ports available on the DSLAM, is there a 10Mbps DSLAM in the exchange, what is the condition of the copper access network in your area, etc.?

This is what I am getting now:

t28C19j.png

I am trying to figure out of the ISP portion is maxing this out or whether it's still at 4 Mbps....

It seems I am, latest speedtest:

Now, at that speed, it seems perhaps downgrading to the 4Mbps would make sense, unless it's possible to get things syncing higher than as above.

Any info from all and sundry appreciated, of course!

MickeyD

RIP
@copa - by March 2014 your entire area will be VDSL enabled. All the old switches will be unplugged. You will have noticed plenty of Telkom activity in your area... they are on a very tight schedule!

You should be able to get up to 20Mbps and possibly even more (if I guess your location correctly).

TheBossMan

Expert Member
Bloody Telkom making fools of us.
I have been upgraded to 10MB from 4MB only syncing at 6MB but not very stable. Apparently exchange only supports 4MB allthough a friend that stay a few roads down from me are allready receiving 10MB, ok maybe he might be on a different exchange not 100% sure.

But the people next door to us are getting this according to telkom. Yet they should be same exchange as us 035 772 xxxx.

Maximum speed available in your area
1 Mbps
Your Current Service speed
2 Mbps

MickeyD

RIP
Bloody Telkom making fools of us.
I have been upgraded to 10MB from 4MB only syncing at 6MB but not very stable. Apparently exchange only supports 4MB allthough a friend that stay a few roads down from me are allready receiving 10MB, ok maybe he might be on a different exchange not 100% sure.

But the people next door to us are getting this according to telkom. Yet they should be same exchange as us 035 772 xxxx.

Maximum speed available in your area
1 Mbps
Your Current Service speed
2 Mbps
Impossible to synch at 6Mbps if your exchange only supports 4Mbps. You'll probably find that there are multiple DSLAMs in your exchange, the older ones supporting up to 4Mbps and the newer ones up to 10Mbps.

Synching at 6Mbps means that you are either too far from the exchange, have a poor copper access connection or your router/modem is either old or not configured correctly. I'd bet money on the first two...

JayN

This is now nonsense for the old 4 Mbps users that cannot go to 10 Mbps because of the exchange limitation.

We've been pushed up to a 10 Mbps profile and yet cannot sync any faster than 4 Mbps.

We now have to pay R 125 more per month that our neighbours that are getting the same 4 Mbps speed. I called in to downgrade my profile and they said that they will take it to 2 Mbps and not 4 Mbps.

Now what?