Telkom ADSL speed upgrades – final dates

Gathu

So exchanges like mine that is not 10Mbps enabled by now will never be upgraded? FU Telkom for creating false expectations when I visited my local Telkom shop. Give your reps the bloody right information from the start, you useless bunglers.

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
This is now nonsense for the old 4 Mbps users that cannot go to 10 Mbps because of the exchange limitation.

We've been pushed up to a 10 Mbps profile and yet cannot sync any faster than 4 Mbps.

We now have to pay R 125 more per month that our neighbours that are getting the same 4 Mbps speed. I called in to downgrade my profile and they said that they will take it to 2 Mbps and not 4 Mbps.

Now what?

Who did you call? The Telkom store or the Telkom Options/Cancellation call center.

JayN

Telkom Options / Cancellation call centre ... I was annoyed to hear that I won't be offered a 4 Mbps profile at the lower price and that I just need to wait for an indefinite period for the exchange to be upgraded, if ever.

I will try again today ... I understand that calling in is like playing russian roulette ... you never you know when you hit the jackpot with the right call centre agent!

Toitjie

Expert Member
Had a similar issue, where my exchange only supports 4mb, and Telkom have upgraded me to 10mb.

Went into a store, dropped it back to 4mb, awaiting the new invoice to see the price drop (they confirmed that there will be a price drop)

VegOtter

Had to upgrade my Afrihost account as well, hope I could get a discount. Kind of enjoying my 4mbps, I wish my exchange could support 10 meg, really wanted to go to 10meg.

feel your pain bud. my exchange also only supports 4meg and would love 10meg or even 20.

Awesum

Expert Member
Telkom Options / Cancellation call centre ... I was annoyed to hear that I won't be offered a 4 Mbps profile at the lower price and that I just need to wait for an indefinite period for the exchange to be upgraded, if ever.

I will try again today ... I understand that calling in is like playing russian roulette ... you never you know when you hit the jackpot with the right call centre agent!

Ask them to put you on DSL Faster. Its the Old 2Mb speed @ R299. Your speed will stay 4Mbps and you will pay R125 less.

Shads

Expert Member
Still on 2mb (not yet upgraded to 4mb). Trying Telkom does not help. Wait for hours to be told to wait. Have sent a PM to TelkomZA, no response as yet - two days ago.

rogerwe

BullFvckinKr@p . My line is syncing at 10MB, always has, but my 4MB upgrade has not happened. My ping has downgraded from 10 to 400. Most of my buddies that have been upgraded are only seeing 6Mps every now and then on speedtest, but also their pings are through the roof.

So this article is false advertising. Lies lies lies.

Last edited:

TheBossMan

Expert Member
Impossible to synch at 6Mbps if your exchange only supports 4Mbps. You'll probably find that there are multiple DSLAMs in your exchange, the older ones supporting up to 4Mbps and the newer ones up to 10Mbps.

Synching at 6Mbps means that you are either too far from the exchange, have a poor copper access connection or your router/modem is either old or not configured correctly. I'd bet money on the first two...

I probably will have to look at buying another router, just using the normal Telkom Billion 400G router.
In the router stats is says that it sync at 6MB the router stat ar horrible on 6MB I was actually still planning to phone them to move back to 4MB which used to run very stable. The Telkom ADSL checker website I think is talking nonsense it says my exchange only supports 4MB and they people next door only supports 1MB. As I also said my friend that is about 3 roads down from me get 10MB, but not sure if he is on same exhcange as us.

Electric

Honorary Master
This is now nonsense for the old 4 Mbps users that cannot go to 10 Mbps because of the exchange limitation.

We've been pushed up to a 10 Mbps profile and yet cannot sync any faster than 4 Mbps.

We now have to pay R 125 more per month that our neighbours that are getting the same 4 Mbps speed. I called in to downgrade my profile and they said that they will take it to 2 Mbps and not 4 Mbps.

Now what?

Get them to drop you to the new 4mb.
They can't exclude you.

mackape

I was upgrade from 2MB to 4MB (at Telkom), but router is only sync'ing at 2MB. Logged a fault which is in progress. Telkom should not make bold statements to say that "no user complaints have ben received"...

howdous

I am currently on DSL Fastest + TI DO Uncapped Premium which are the (old) 4Mbps packages.

Am I supposed to be upgraded on both by Telkom, but still paying the same price or do they only upgrade DSL Fastest at the same price and one has to pay more on the data part of it being the TI DO Uncapped Premium?

I have been trying to ask Telkom this many times now and nobody can give me a straight answer.

Does anybody here know the answer to my question pleeeeeeeze?

This is my current speedtest result:

07_10

Quite a few people know noticed the same thing. Now for the ISPs to do their thing. Seldom that Telkom is ahead of the ISPs!

Yeah, but I'm glad Telkom is moving in the right direction.

howdous

Well the latest from www.do.co.za now yields this:

(one can see that they have updated the text content of their package web pages but not the URL's)

The following includes Data Cost + Telkom Voice Line Rental + Telkom ADSL Rental:

(1) do Uncapped up to 2 Mbps - R521 - http://www.do.co.za/broadband/offeri...d-up-to-1mbps/

(2) do Uncapped up to 4 Mbps - R705 - http://www.do.co.za/broadband/offeri...d-up-to-2mbps/

(3) do Uncapped up to 10 Mbps - R1156 - http://www.do.co.za/broadband/offeri...-up-to-10mbps/

There is therefore no speed gain for me but rather a price reduction, but I think one will have to explain this nicely to them otherwise they will simply auto push me from 4 - 10Mbps and I will end up paying the prices for (3) opposing to (2) which is my current package which I am now paying R842 for.

Ugh, now to get this across to the Telkom helpdesk to make sure that my account is correct :-(

dabbler

Expert Member
My router shows speed as 4mbps, www.telkom.co.za/checkadsl shows that I'm on 10mbps but that max speed in my area is 4mbps.

broadbandstats.co.za states that my exchange is 10mbps enabled, but max speed is 4mbps.

What does all of this mean, how can I get 10mbps? :)

What does it mean when it says exchange is 10mbps enabled, max speed 4?

+1

Last edited:

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Telkom said that all 4Mbps ADSL users who could be upgraded to 10Mbps have successfully been upgraded to the higher speed.
Lies! If they really wanted to give me 10Mbps they could :(
They just pushing up their "average" speeds to look good :whistling:

MickeyD

RIP
Exchange has more than 1 DSLAM.
You are probably linked to an older DSLAM that can only provide up to 4Mbps ADSL.
To go faster your connection will need to be moved to a newer 10Mbps enabled DSLAM.