Telkom ADSL Speed Upgrades

pedruid

Expert Member
I read somewhere that Telkom intend upgrading speeds at no extra cost and that it was to take place at beginning of March 2021.
Anyone who can confirm this or was I just hallucinating?

pedruid

Expert Member
I note that it states Openserve wholesale, will this apply to those of us who have our ADSL line with Telkom and a separate ISP?

370z

I’m with CoolIdeas and they’re passing along the speed doubling to the customer for no extra cost.

This is fibre though, not sure what the case is with ADSL.

haroldj

Obviously the speed upgrade means more data being consumed, so if yo have a capped account it will deplete faster and uncapped, you will reach your threshold faster.

Totempole

Expert Member
Obviously the speed upgrade means more data being consumed, so if yo have a capped account it will deplete faster and uncapped, you will reach your threshold faster.
Correct, but this has nothing to do with the question the OP is asking.

Brian Nelson

If I download a (say) 50MB piece of software, why will more data be consumed at the higher speed? May be true for a video where the system downloads a better quality of video due to the higher speed being available.

badtrev

I am with Openserve/Telkom Internet. I got the speed upgrade last night, but then they messed up and created a new profile so I had no access in the morning. But I have been moved from 20/20 to 50/25. I hope I am not going to get a messed up bill next month

Fox1

Executive Member
The Telkom ADSL page is down. I guess they're bringing new packages since not all of us are eligible for the upgrades due to the exchange not supporting it.

Scuderia1

The Telkom ADSL page is down. I guess they're bringing new packages since not all of us are eligible for the upgrades due to the exchange not supporting it.
I was told this already by telkom, i cannot go higher than 10mb on my adsl

Grouter

Expert Member
It's down more than it's up in my experience...

ouman430

I am with Openserve/Telkom Internet. I got the speed upgrade last night, but then they messed up and created a new profile so I had no access in the morning. But I have been moved from 20/20 to 50/25. I hope I am not going to get a messed up bill next month
Happend to me as well. I had no inernet from Friday until Monday. Tech guy came out and found out that they upgraded me without advising me. New profile blah blah ..not for free it is going to cost me more.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Happend to me as well. I had no inernet from Friday until Monday. Tech guy came out and found out that they upgraded me without advising me. New profile blah blah ..not for free it is going to cost me more.
Change to afrihost.

cavedog

Honorary Master
We still don't know whether users with DSL lines and separate data packages will be upgraded as well.

So far only bundled services are being upgraded for certain.

The lines will be upgraded by Openserve whether the ISPs change prices or not and if ISPs don't change prices the 40Mbps and people on the max line speed already will lose out unfortunately because those won't be upgraded.

Totempole

Expert Member
The lines will be upgraded by Openserve whether the ISPs change prices or not and if ISPs don't change prices the 40Mbps and people on the max line speed already will lose out unfortunately because those won't be upgraded.

I'm on 20Mb, but I'm not sure I'm close enough to the exchange to officially support 40Mb, so can't be certain my line will be bumped up.