Telkom ADSL vs Fibre vs LTE subscribers – 2016 to 2018

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Telkom ADSL vs Fibre vs LTE subscribers – 2016 to 2018

Telkom has revealed the number of high-speed broadband customers who are on its network, during its financial results presentation for the year ended 31 March 2018.

Speaking at the company’s presentation in Centurion, Telkom CEO Sipho Maseko outlined the migration of the company’s high-speed broadband customers to newer technologies such as LTE and fibre.

Alacrity

He said that Telkom will increase its focus on high-speed broadband alternatives, including fibre, VDSL, and LTE going forward.
Telkom still pushing VDSL and also calls it high-speed broadband?!

Alacrity

Telkom should fast track the FTTC and only use VDSL for the last 100m or so. But they don't and still rely on 100% VDSL and LTE.

Now is the time to do it. Two to five years from now will be way to late!

genetic

Honorary Master
Telkom should fast track the FTTC and only use VDSL for the last 100m or so. But they don't but still rely on 100% VDSL and LTE.

Now is the time to do it. Two to five years from now will be way to late!
:erm:

There is fibre backhaul to every MSAN and LTE tower.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
I wonder how many LTE connection are "true". I stopped using my LTE (500Gig for R50) ... so those numbers are skew IMHO ..

genetic

Honorary Master
VDSL can attain speeds of 100Mb/s on short distances. The MSANs should be closer to your home.
Completely unfeasible to do that. FTTH / fixed LTE-A is far more future proof and Telkom's aim at the moment.

Alacrity

Completely unfeasible to do that. FTTH / fixed LTE-A is far more future proof and Telkom's aim at the moment.
Why is FTTC unfeasible?

Fixed LTE-A is also not that great. I'm in Highveld with a lot of Telkom LTE towers. Previously I could get 100Mb/s when there was less towers. Now there are more and also more users and my Telkom LTE is now far from great..

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
10 mbps is paltry. It's not even acceptable in this day and age where 50 mbps should be the absolute minimum. 10 years ago 10 mbps was fine but not in 2018. South Africa's pricing for data is way out of kilter, it's far too expensive for a population like ours. Data is no longer a luxury, it's a commodity.

op365

I wonder how many LTE connection are "true". I stopped using my LTE (500Gig for R50) ... so those numbers are skew IMHO ..
The numbers seem correct as long gone are the days when I got 75Mbps on LTE...after 20:00 we are lucky if we get 4Mbps...this with external antenna and 5 full bars...sigh

Their towers are oversubscribed

uchoose

The numbers seem correct as long gone are the days when I got 75Mbps on LTE...after 20:00 we are lucky if we get 4Mbps...this with external antenna and 5 full bars...sigh

Their towers are oversubscribed
I agree as I was getting 25mb but now lucky to get 5mb on lte. I was becoming a Telkom fan (can't believe I said that) but just stopping 500gb R50 night surfer and not replacing it with
similar deals made me realise they have not changed and are still the dumb company they have always been.

Dan C

Honorary Master
"A desire of mine is that the entry-level speed across our suite of broadband offerings should be a minimum of 10Mbps,” said Maseko.
12 Years later and I still can't get more than 4 Mbps :erm:

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
I was becoming a Telkom fan (can't believe I said that) but just stopping 500gb R50 night surfer and not replacing it with
similar deals made me realise they have not changed and are still the dumb company they have always been.
Same. Realised Telkom is still the suck...