Telkom "All network mins" doesn't actually mean all networks

Mravka

Beware of the falsely advertised "All network mins" on Telkom Mobile Mo'nice promotions. The minutes included are only for mobile networks and not "all networks" as the name suggests. I wonder how many people have fallen victims of Telkom's unethical behaviour. I'm busy filling a form to the Consumer Protector, so lets see what comes out of that.

Totempole

Expert Member
Beware of the falsely advertised "All network mins" on Telkom Mobile Mo'nice promotions. The minutes included are only for mobile networks and not "all networks" as the name suggests. I wonder how many people have fallen victims of Telkom's unethical behaviour. I'm busy filling a form to the Consumer Protector, so lets see what comes out of that.

Can you provide more info in this regard, I've experienced a similar issue with their "All-Network minutes bundles"

What was the prefix of the number you got billed for?

I can call all cellphone numbers, also 0860 and 0861 numbers with the bundle.

If I call an (021, 011, 012 etc.) number that turns out to be VoIP, I get billed from my airtime.

This really sucks because these days you have no way of knowing beforehand.

Totempole

Expert Member
Just a heads up, did a quick test. Vox's 087 numbers are also charged outside of the "All Network Minutes" Bundles.

I expected that, but just wanted to make sure.

argh

I tried for 1 month Telkom's Freeme prepaid !Gb, which included 300 mins. of free calls to Telkom numbers, 500Mb for Whatsapp, etc (https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/plan/freeme-bundles-plan/). Almost every number I phoned got blocked with the automated message that I had insufficient airtime. I concluded that the free calls were to Telkom customers, not necessarily Telkom numbers, and that the free minutes did not apply to toll free and share-call numbers.. From what I understand, you can add various amounts of Anynet minutes to Telkom Freeme, but only on 24-month Freeme contracts (https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/personal/plan/100-minutes/),. The T&Cs show the restrictions on the calls.

The next month I treid Cell C's Anynet calling plan. For me it was much better than the Telkom Freeme one. The Cell C one I chose was R200, valid for a month, 15 hours of calls (22c/minute). I could phone any number in South Africa, and toll free numbers and emergency numbers are free, so they don't come off the paid-for minutes. The only restriction is that it can't be used for overseas calls. I just load airtime, and then buy the plans via the USSD options, or via the app, online, or in a Cell C shop. List of the plans (scroll down the page to get to the Anynet calls): https://www.cellc.co.za/cellc/bundles-contract-detail/prepaid-voice-bundle

(.

Mravka

I accept that not all 011, 012, 021 etc numbers are Telkom numbers, so the FreeMe bundle makes sense to me when I'm charged separately for those ported "old Telkom" numbers. What doesn't make sense is that I've purchased "All Net" bundle, but I'm still charged extra when I call Afrihost Support on 011 number. It's not a "premium" number. Still waiting for response from The Consumer Protector. Will let you guys know what the outcome is.

CuriouS

I'm on the phone to their call centre now, and they say that you can't call "businesses" with the voice bundles and that you need airtime. Can't tell me tariffs or explain why I can call 0860/0861 numbers (which are business numbers) and not the numbers I provided.

Currently on hold.

edit: It was concluded that they couldn't give me the tariff as it is charged by the number being called. So I asked how to get on this plan where I can charge people whatever I wanted to call me, but the agent was unable to assist.

In my instance, I'm trying to call Takealot to sort out their issue. It's interesting that I am getting charged whatever their rate is...

Last edited:

CuriouS

Just made the same call on FNB minutes, and it went through and used 2 minutes... So I don't buy this Telkom bs, but there's no way to make any change happen via the call centre...

ld13

Honorary Master
I got caught by this. Assumed that "all-net" means... A L L

Jake45

Expert Member
It seems that a lot of companies have switched to Voip and are no longer using Telkom landlines so you end up spending a fortune when trying to call them to find out something as you can be put on hold for ages. I had this experience when trying to call several branches of Pick n Pay recently.

susefan

Can you provide more info in this regard, I've experienced a similar issue with their "All-Network minutes bundles"

What was the prefix of the number you got billed for?

I can call all cellphone numbers, also 0860 and 0861 numbers with the bundle.

If I call an (021, 011, 012 etc.) number that turns out to be VoIP, I get billed from my airtime.

This really sucks because these days you have no way of knowing beforehand.
The beep? There is a beep that warns that the number has been ported.

Totempole

Expert Member
I've just phoned 2 known ported numbers, and no beep, so myth busted.

I'd always assumed the beep had to do with network roaming.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I've just phoned 2 known ported numbers, and no beep, so myth busted.

I'd always assumed the beep had to do with network roaming.
You confirmed the numbers were ported? That's what the special tone is supposed to indicate.

Totempole

Expert Member
You confirmed the numbers were ported? That's what the special tone is supposed to indicate.

There was no special tone, that's my point. Both numbers I called were former Telkom numbers I knew had been switched over to VOIP.

susefan

There was no special tone, that's my point. Both numbers I called were former Telkom numbers I knew had been switched over to VOIP.
If you are calling from the same network the number was ported to there is no beep. If you port number to MTN, calls from MTN will not hear the beep. Calls from any other network will have the beep.

SM-SA

Telkom Really sucks lies after lies, i bought these All Net minutes only to not being able to make a call when i try 041 or any landline

At first i bought Telkom Fixed bundles, they didn't disclose that these minutes only work on Telkom landlines which most companies aren't using anymore due to bad service in the first place

Last edited: