Telkom and the 4 Mbps to 10 Mbps upgrade

TrevorGSmith

I'm in Centurion, still got 4mb Fibre. I'm renting though and its inclusive, can't really ask the landlord to phone and sit with Telkom to try upgrade it.

James Erlingson

Is anyone still on 4 Mbps Fibre

How do you get the upgrade, if it has not been done?
Hopefully this will clarify things for everyone.

Around the middle of november OPENSERVE announced that they would be cancelling support for 4mbps lines on Fibre. This means, all customer (who can) that have 4mbps lines will be upgraded to 10mbps for FREE.

However, to avoid many customers paying more per month for their lines. Telkom (on their system) is simply keeping everyone on a 4mbps account but increasing their speeds to 10mbps.

Its important not to speak to a consultant about increasing the speed because as of Friday last week, they have no idea about this "free" upgrade and will simply charge you more for the line.
Just be patient and your line will be upgraded. (if your exchange supports it)

On the 27th Dec 2018 my 4mbps Uncapped Fibre line got upgrade to 10mbps. (For FREE)

HowardStoffels

Hopefully this will clarify things for everyone.

Around the middle of november OPENSERVE announced that they would be cancelling support for 4mbps lines on Fibre. This means, all customer (who can) that have 4mbps lines will be upgraded to 10mbps for FREE.

However, to avoid many customers paying more per month for their lines. Telkom (on their system) is simply keeping everyone on a 4mbps account but increasing their speeds to 10mbps.

Its important not to speak to a consultant about increasing the speed because as of Friday last week, they have no idea about this "free" upgrade and will simply charge you more for the line.
Just be patient and your line will be upgraded. (if your exchange supports it)

On the 27th Dec 2018 my 4mbps Uncapped Fibre line got upgrade to 10mbps. (For FREE)
Last week my speed of 4mbps was throttled to 0.5mbps and the consultant told me that I have to contact my ISP to upgrade to 10mbps

James Erlingson

Last week my speed of 4mbps was throttled to 0.5mbps and the consultant told me that I have to contact my ISP to upgrade to 10mbps
Hey Howard, it isn't unusual for lines to be throttled. It could happen for various reasons.
One of them is Telkom's FUP for uncapped accounts. So if you use over a certain amount, your account gets throttled. (during certain hours).
If you are on a Capped account and go over you GB limit, your account can also be slowed down.
If one the above haven't taken place then, you can possibly ask a Consultant to "reset" your line to 4mbps to at least get back your regular speed.

There is no reason why you should have to upgrade your line to get the speed you are currently paying for. That's nonsense. Upgrading your line in this case wouldnt help if its a FUP issue because the 4bmps and 10mbps accounts are grouped together. Hope this helps. :)

ponder

Honorary Master
Via SMS,
Dear customer, Telkom's entry-level Fibre speed has increased from 4Mbps to 10Mbps. As an existing 4Mbps UNLIMITEDhome customer, you will automatically benefit from this upgrade. Go to https://tlkm.link/10MbpsForcedMigration to view the impact of the speed upgrade on your bundle and monthly subscription. We value your continued support. Telkom Team
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/98635bbf7d174beca697dffb99806cda-images/Telkom/P300821_Fibre_4_to_10Mbps_Forced+_Migration_Comms/P300821_Fibre_4_to_10Mbps_Forced+_Migration_Comms_online1.html

Farhaan Surtie

For everyone who has taken a 4Mbps Unlimitedhome fibre package from Telkom have recently "benefited" from a speed to 10Mbps. The increase comes at a small price increase from R605pm to R649pm compared to the normal price of R807pm. This is according to all communication sent by Telkom to all its customers like myself. The problem with this is that you are made to believe that you are going from a 4Mbps Unlimitedhome account to a 10Mbps Unlimitedhome account where the FUP is much higher than other accounts. In actual fact you are being moved to an Unlimitedhome lite account without your knowledge. Not only is your FUP much lower, with FUP Level 3 coming in at 200GB, there is no knowledge whatsoever of this passed on to the customer.

Telkom is making theit customers believe that they are getting the same package that they signed up for with the apparent benefit of a speed increase but they are actually losing out if they are heavy internet users who might be using this work or larger families.

This is a blatant lie to all of their customers and something that has been forced onto them without any acceptance on the customers side.

According the weblink below no mention is made of a move being made to the Unlimitedhome lite account.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/98635bbf7d174beca697dffb99806cda-images/Telkom/P300821_Fibre_4_to_10Mbps_Forced+_Migration_Comms/P300821_Fibre_4_to_10Mbps_Forced+_Migration_Comms_online1.html