Telkom cable has fallen off pole and is laying in my garden

Ice2Cool

Expert Member
Hi,

With the heavy rain and wind as of recent, one of telkoms cables which runs above the garden of my house to my neighbors house has come loose and is lying in my garden. Its a bit hazardous I would guess - not sure if power runs through them or what. I have dogs and I don't want them to chew through it. I laid a fault complaint as my phone lines went down around the same time. They fixed my phone lines but haven't done anything about the cable that is just lying in my garden. Any one know what I can do?

Ice2Cool

Expert Member
Just remembered about my post so thought I would give an update. After reporting the problem In October 2011, January and march and even phoning the network damage line and the theft line, I gave up - I cut the cable and threw it over the wall. To this day, almost 8 months since me first contacting telkom, no one has fixed the line or contacted me. It's still lying on the other side of the wall. And there's a telkom dslam box thing about 100 meters away where the telkom technicians work on regularly. They don't give a crap.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Just remembered about my post so thought I would give an update. After reporting the problem In October 2011, January and march and even phoning the network damage line and the theft line, I gave up - I cut the cable and threw it over the wall. To this day, almost 8 months since me first contacting telkom, no one has fixed the line or contacted me. It's still lying on the other side of the wall. And there's a telkom dslam box thing about 100 meters away where the telkom technicians work on regularly. They don't give a crap.

Maybe it was unused. I have an unused telkom cable from my pole to my house.

Ulrich Hahn

Now I also have a problem with a broken telkom cable in front of my house - not the one, from the front to the house, but the one going in front of the houses.
Obviously the cable is no longer in use by anybody - but am a little bit scared to cut it,
because their might be some electric power on the line too ??????
Its quite a thick cable, consisting of 2 wires, 1 obviously for holding the line to the pole (but that is broken), ...

Any attempts to log the problem is failing because I am not a telkom customer and dont know anyone who is a telkom landline customer ...

Are there any suggestions ????

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Now I also have a problem with a broken telkom cable in front of my house - not the one, from the front to the house, but the one going in front of the houses.
Obviously the cable is no longer in use by anybody - but am a little bit scared to cut it,
Its quite a thick cable, consisting of 2 wires, 1 obviously for holding the line to the pole (but that is broken), ...

Any attempts to log the problem is failing because I am not a telkom customer and dont know anyone who is a telkom landline customer ...

info@openserve.co.za

Attach some pictures (but not 5 million like some fools on Whatsapp, 3 to 4 at most, 1 or 2 normally should suffice)

Ulrich Hahn

Have only 1 picture right now - but can make picture of the line in more detail tomorrow ...

Attachments

• 20201124_122249.jpg
    20201124_122249.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 106

genetic

Honorary Master

Uhm, contact Telkom?

Ulrich Hahn

Upsie, sorry didnt get that right - now mailed it to openserve.

And contacting Telkom was the problem, as they normally want to have a telkom number (which I dont have) or SA passport ID, etc. ...
But now lets see what happens ...

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Upsie, sorry didnt get that right - now mailed it to openserve.

And contacting Telkom was the problem, as they normally want to have a telkom number (which I dont have) or SA passport ID, etc. ...
But now lets see what happens ...
Wow... such an inept company.
If you visit a telkom store in person you should get results.
That cable carries anything from 10-20 pairs or more of phone lines. I'd be surprised if it's not working.
There should be no electicity in the line other than 16v-50v DC for the phone handset from the exchange equipment. Cutting it would be a bad idea though - it's Telkom's cable.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
0800 124 000

Openserve urges the public to be vigilant and to report any suspicious acts. If you have any information relating to vandalism, theft, fraud or sabotage please contact our crime hotline on

Ulrich Hahn

Well, unfortunately I do not have to report any suspicius vandalism, theft, fraud or sabotage -
so I will call the crime hotline, if I can see somebody cutting the cable .... and hopefully they will help then.

Unfortunately this is just an incidendt (probably because of wind/storm), but that doesnt seem to exist in Telcoms World .... at least for non Telcom Customers ...