Telkom Charge for a Call at what stage?

RedRockSA

At what stage of a Telkom land-line call is it considered successful and charged for?

I have always presumed that you were charged once the other party picked up and you were 'connected' but recently I've been informed that the 'Skype' method of charging as soon as the other party is dialled and it commences to ring regardless of actual 'connection' & conversation is now also used by Telkom - is this so?

And a landline call to a misplaced mobile in order to hear the ring & locate it without actual voice connection? Does this incur any charge?

Thanks in advance.

RedRockSA

Soon as it leaves the network it starts charging
So if I understand you correctly -

Network Same
  • a land-line to land-line call that is cancelled after a number of rings (missed call) is not charged for if made by one Telkom subscriber to another?
Network Differ
  • Whilst a Telkom landline call to find a misplaced MTN mobile using a 'missed call' WILL incur a charge?
And if I used another MTN mobile to make a "missed call" to the misplaced MTN mobile it would not?

ponder

Honorary Master
As far as I know you should not be charged unless the other side answers / goes off-hook.

MickeyD

RIP
As far as I know you should not be charged unless the other side answers / goes off-hook.
Not always true. Dial a business system and the extension you seek is engaged or unanswered and you'll also be charged.

AFAIK there should be a minimum no charge period?

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
I've always assumed it ties exclusively to the signalling system - Telkom bills if it moves beyond signalling to being set up then you get billed until the connection is cleared. So if the PABX or network that you are calling isn't transparent with signalling you are going to be paying, I think all VoIP destinations are charged immediately because the PSTN interfaces immediately.

I don't get charged for missed calling my cellphone - no connection is made - but I have had call charges without an answer to business calls.

chrisc

Executive Member
Calls to business switchboards depend on how the remote system is configured. A DTMF exchange generates a 17Hz tone to signal the party called has answered. Some systems where you have to press additional buttons to reach your party only generate this tone when the party picks up. A different scenario applies when you phone a business and it says "press 1 for accounts", "press 2 for sales", etc (a good example is ADT). There you get charged the moment the first call is answered.

noxibox

Honorary Master
At what stage of a Telkom land-line call is it considered successful and charged for?

I have always presumed that you were charged once the other party picked up and you were 'connected' but recently I've been informed that the 'Skype' method of charging as soon as the other party is dialled and it commences to ring regardless of actual 'connection' & conversation is now also used by Telkom - is this so?
In fact Telkom used to charge for dialled calls regardless of whether they connected and now only charges if it connects. As others say when you dial some systems or numbers that may appear to Telkom to be a connected call even if no-one answers.

RedRockSA

OK ... well that makes it sound pretty much like everything else in this communication game - as clear as mud & at the mercy of the provider! Anyway of getting Telkom to clarify :wtf: this? I've trolled the site (Telkom) up & down & not even a mention of what constitutes a "call", when in fact that should be the very first thing stated before going onto actual tariffs - first establish what is classified as being a successful (chargeable call) and then describe the various permutations.

noxibox

Honorary Master
It would be pretty easy to test yourself. Dial someone's landline and put the phone down after a few rings. You can also do it with your own mobile number.