• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Telkom customer blacklisted after failing to pay cancelled account

Sweevo

Honorary Master
"transitioning to its new account cancellation system. "
That's one heck of a transition!

Juice

Expert Member
For future reference, it's fairly easy to reverse something like this directly with the credit bureaus. You can contact them to lodge a dispute and provide all of your supporting documentation as evidence. If you have your affairs in order, they'll reverse the listing.

cavedog

Honorary Master
For future reference, it's fairly easy to reverse something like this directly with the credit bureaus. You can contact them to lodge a dispute and provide all of your supporting documentation as evidence. If you have your affairs in order, they'll reverse the listing.
Takes 21 working days IF everything is in order. 2 of the credit bureaus did not remove the listing on my name after 21 working days. Took another 15 working days with the Credit ombud to have them remove it.

The problem is you usually only find out about the listing when applying for credit because of buying a car or taking a cellphone contract that is usually a limited time special or deal so you lose out because of Telkoms bad practices. I will never forget it took me 1 year to cancel a month to month analogue + adsl circuit and took me like 4 months to get the Default listing removed from my name. Telkom screwed me. I still use the uncapped LTE contract for R529 a month because for me there is no better deal but I won't take another Telkom product and once this one is canceled I won't go back to Telkom I would rather stick to Rain if I have too.

Visser

Expert Member
Hold the bus right here. The client should have placed a dispute with the credit bureau. Why did he not dispute it. If it was a judgment, the client never went to court. There is no way a court would issue a judgment if the client provides proof that he cancelled the account.

werny

Expert Member
Did my cancellation (online) on the 1st of October, on 1 November both my landline and ADSL was dead, my online profile shows -R0.06 at the moment.

Maybe I'm just lucky? Donno. :unsure:

ActivateD

Expert Member
Did my cancellation (online) on the 1st of October, on 1 November both my landline and ADSL was dead, my online profile shows -R0.06 at the moment.

I am the same. I cancelled online and got multply sms telling me my service will stop on the 16th. So I am happy.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Hold the bus right here. The client should have placed a dispute with the credit bureau. Why did he not dispute it. If it was a judgment, the client never went to court. There is no way a court would issue a judgment if the client provides proof that he cancelled the account.
There is a difference between a judgement and black listing.

A judgement stays for a very long time. Black listing is about your payment history. If you never/seldom pay then a new credit provider should decline you any new credit you apply for.

Johand

Expert Member
The credit bureaus operate in the wild west. The consumer can request 1 free report per year only and then they have to start paying. Most consumers don't even know what current information the credit bureaus have on them and how it will affect them.

I think the big question to ask in a follow up article is to contact all the credit bureaus asking them if and why they knowingly continue to use Telkom data considering the data quality issues with it?

sin_x

I think the big question to ask in a follow up article is to contact all the credit bureaus asking them if and why they knowingly continue to use Telkom data considering the data quality issues with it?
Because money

supersunbird

Honorary Master
The problem is when they said it is cancelled, the stated it is cancelled and you received an email it is cancelled. Life goes on.

6months Telkom debt collectors phone you because you didn't cancel your line.

#VivaAfrika
The credit bureaus operate in the wild west. The consumer can request 1 free report per year only and then they have to start paying. Most consumers don't even know what current information the credit bureaus have on them and how it will affect them.

One can spread it out over the year and get 1 free credit report from one of the big 4 credit bureaus every 3 months.

Can get your free (or paid-for reports with scoring) from the below websites:

Transunion (have to pay for scoring, free report doesn't have scoring):
https://mytransunion.co.za/

Experian (free report has scoring):
https://www.creditexpert.co.za/

XDS (free report has scoring):
http://www.credit4life.co.za/

Compuscan (have to pay for scoring, free report doesn't have scoring):
https://www.mycreditcheck.co.za/

For a paid credit report that checks XDS, Transunion and Experian at R79 you can go to any Checkers or Shoprite MoneyMarket counter or you can do it online:
http://www.kudough.co.za/shoprite_partner.aspx

For a paid credit report that uses all 4 the credit bureaus mentioned you can use the below link to buy it online for R99:
https://www.credithealth.co.za/complete-credit-report.htm

cavedog

Honorary Master
First of all as I mentioned above a dispute takes forever especially if you don't have a document from Telkom that confirms you owe them nothing because then the credit bureaus need to investigate. Credit providers very seldom fight for judgments as it's expensive and they probably won't get their money back.

Not sure why people call it a blacklisting anyways because I know there are people in SA that would probably say it's racist it's called a Default listing and is pretty easy for anyone to list a default on your name. Hell even Webafrica, Mweb or Afrihost can list a Default on your name for not paying a R80 p/m capped adsl account.

And BTW why is everyone blaming the customer. It's not the customers fault he got a Default listed on his name. It's Telkom not canceling the account and listing a default. Why should the customer actually have to lodge disputes and fight to clear his/her name when they are not in the wrong. Telkom is clearly wrong and unethical practices and people question why did the customer not lodge a dispute with the credit bureaus.... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jaws677

Same here cancelled last month no debit order or invoice this month