Telkom customers are going crazy trying to cancel their lines

Oldfiej

This is crap. Telkom keep customer accounts open past the cancellation request date and then I get billed two or three months extra. Theres a cancellation request form you have to fill in in advance and you need to ensure you get a reference number and confirmation that they have received my cancellation request. The best is when I cancel my line. I have to phone the accounts department and request my deposit back otherwise they don’t pay it. Such horseshit but there’s a lot of customers so what can you do!
If I was to make a suggestion it’s not very clear to the first time cancellation/change of service customer whether telkom has received or is aware that I want to change/cancel my service so I think I have cancelled it and then I get billed again, sit on the phone for 10 to 40 minutes etc. I haven’t delt with telkom in a few months but that was the service I received last time. I’m happy on my current lte contract I have with them. Considering upgrading to the lte a soon to test it out as the speed seems to be a little slow for my liking but works well none the less.
Cheers

StoneCold

Expert Member
My ADSL line is set to be cancelled *hopefully* this week Friday if all goes well. I also did it via the online portal. Got emailed confirmation about the cancellation as I didn't receive a phone call. Here's hoping all goes according to plan and I don't run into any issues as I'm moving on 30 August to a fibre neighborhood :D

Lupus

Honorary Master
It took me from December to about March to cancel my Telkom line, each time they billed me I reversed the charge. I told this to the Telkom agent as well and they were like but we would credit you. I was like I'm cancelling your services completely what are you going to credit me with? So I'll have 1200 just floating around for nothing?

SlowInternet

Executive Member
It took me from December to about March to cancel my Telkom line, each time they billed me I reversed the charge. I told this to the Telkom agent as well and they were like but we would credit you. I was like I'm cancelling your services completely what are you going to credit me with? So I'll have 1200 just floating around for nothing?
So true. We have been trying since beginning of the year to cancel via every channel. They keep on sending invoices every month. When we speak to them they also say "We will credit you" How the hell do you want to credit someone if they are cancelling their service ? Lines and services still haven't been cancelled :mad:

Lupus

Honorary Master
So true. We have been trying since beginning of the year to cancel via every channel. They keep on sending invoices every month. When we speak to them they also say "We will credit you" How the hell do you want to credit someone if they are cancelling their service ? Lines and services still haven't been cancelled :mad:
Yup, I came right in March, but after a lot of fighting with the agent. They were like you have to send a mail, then go online and and. I was like I've done that, eventually their twitter account actually assisted.

My experience with Telkom...

Took out 20+20 gig data contract with them in 2012. Wasn’t working properly so they sent a technician who verified that I couldn’t get reception at my home. They agreed to cancel it and stopped debiting me. 2 years later I try to buy a car and was blacklisted for not paying that contract....

Signed up for adsl, worked well but I had to move to Cape Town so requested it be canceled. I moved to Cape Town, lived there for almost 2 years and moved back and it was still not cancelled . They eventually cancelled it and paid me a random amount that didn’t equate to the amount I was paying.

Applied for iPhone X contract and launch. Was approved and they said it would take a few days for delivery. Weeks went by and they charged me R1200 for some reason. When I queried it, they said the application was canceled. I only got my refund a month ago.

So yeah. They suck. :)

I cancelled mine in 2016, and it still took many months of constant calling and escalations. I had to be persistent, and wait on line while I faxed forms and sent emails to ensure the people received them. Then I forced them to give me timelines and the name of the next person in the chain.
The excuse of changing their system in April 2018 is a cop-out as their entire process has been flawed for years.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
Yup, I came right in March, but after a lot of fighting with the agent. They were like you have to send a mail, then go online and and. I was like I've done that, eventually their twitter account actually assisted.
I did it via email, facebook messenger, online on their website, twitter, on the phone, etc and still no luck.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Reverse every debit, the only issue is that you'll might run into an issue like Cavedog.

I have cancelled on line, met all their requirements. I just want them to remove their setup from our fiber provider so my new service provider can use it. Telkom says they have done it. But I still have internet... how is it possible? I have informed Telkom that I still have internet, I watch netflix each night. They say it is impossible. I went to hello Peter. Received feedback from a Gerhard with a ref no. and nothing further was done....

L.Visser

All Telkom Customers gets sent away from store and are told that they need to do it online my mother is 78years old she cannot do the online process. How do you expect a 78year old to do the Online Process.

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
I sure hope I don't experience such such problems with them. I cancelled my ADSL/landline earlier this month because I now have fibre and no further use for Telkom. If I do, I simply won't pay the invoice amount that they send me.

Madhawk

Honorary Master
All Telkom Customers gets sent away from store and are told that they need to do it online my mother is 78years old she cannot do the online process. How do you expect a 78year old to do the Online Process.
Exactly, they expect every SA citizen to have internet connection. It's the most selfish and lazy move they have pulled off so far. Why can't we just cancel via Telephone or Online?

ljreid

I requested my service be cancelled two months ago using online portal.

Shortly thereafter got notification saying my case numbers have been 'resolved'. But nothing seems to have happened since then, and I'm still connected and getting billed.

Have tried emailing and using their chat service, with no help. Can't try again to cancel online, because it says cancellation in progress. Not sure what I can do now. Sounds like I just have to pray and keep paying??

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Could mybroadband setup a page where by Telkom customers who are battling to cancel, enter thier details, like Name, ID, Telkom Account Number, etc. So mybroadband could get a clearer picture of this problem and hopefully supply Telkom with a list? Maybe that way we can finally get this mess sorted out.
I could fill a page of people I know in this very boat.

Klipdrif

Same boat. My account at R3k and going strong. "Cancelled" in May. These guys are crooks. Straight up criminals ignoring cancellations.

Pixual

Expert Member
Cancelled my landline in April and am still being told I owe them $90 for some ridiculous "admin fee". They can sing for that.