"Telkom didn't pay me, so I switched off their tower"

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
Next up, massive bailouts. I mean they probably thinking here we are hard at work why should Eskom have all the rape-the-taxpayer fun?

Didn't the government sell off most of its share in Telkom? AFAIK they own less than 40% so only partially a SOE. It's mostly privatised. I don't think they get bail outs?

Yskasmetnstoof

"Telkom didn't pay me, so I switched off their tower"

A frustrated property owner switched off the Telkom cellphone tower on his property after the mobile network failed to pay him for electricity and rental.

The property is a commercial building in Glenhazel, Johannesburg. Telkom previously reached an agreement with the owner to mount a base station on the building, allowing it to provide improved coverage in the area.
This is the ANC management model, isn't it?

Yskasmetnstoof

vodascum slowly crippling Telkom because it's a threat to sh!ty eurozone shareholders, don't believe me watch how Telkom will end up like cellc and this country will only be left with vodascum and Mtn dog crap, that's how these 2 companies control prices in South Africa, private companies are worse than the great Guptas,
But isn't this about Telkom and a private property owner? And about Telkom not paying?

quovadis

Executive Member
I would imagine that this is very much a grey area. Unless the contract he entered specifically allows for the disconnection as a remedy for non-payment his actions may be problematic.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I would imagine that this is very much a grey area. Unless the contract he entered specifically allows for the disconnection as a remedy for non-payment his actions may be problematic.
how so? telkom are in breach, so owner is just cutting his losses, or is he expected to subsidise the tower running costs ad infinitum?
edit: he should charge a re-connection fee just like your municipality does after cutting your power if you didn't pay.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
How much power does a typical cellphone tower use?

Im thinking 10k to 18k Watts.

Too low or too high?

Nuro

Expert Member
How much power does a typical cellphone tower use?

Im thinking 10k to 18k Watts.

Too low or too high?

From a quick google:
The power demand ranges from 1 kW to 8.5 kW where more than 80% of these configurations have a demand less than 3.5 kW

So, even at 2kW, that's quite a bill at the end of the month. It's actually more than I thought.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
MyBroadband reached out to Telkom for comment on this topic, but the company did not respond by the time of publication.

Funny how one person (Jacqui O'Sullivan) being there or not can determine a whole big national companies ability to respond to media queries.

EasyComs

Quite amusing seeing them get the treatment they have dished out to their customers . . . .;)
Rather poor form for what is still a protected utility.

quovadis

Executive Member
how so? telkom are in breach, so owner is just cutting his losses, or is he expected to subsidise the tower running costs ad infinitum?
edit: he should charge a re-connection fee just like your municipality does after cutting your power if you didn't pay.

Most contracts have clauses relating to non-performance by either party including the remedies to be taken. As long as he exhausted those remedies prior to his actions he'll be fine. If not, well, its problematic for obvious reasons.