Telkom enabling ASSIA and driving me nuts

boerinbeton

Charl hasn't been on here for ages.
Yep, used to work a charm. I had my lines on the exclusion list for quite some time until ASSIA got permanently enabled around 1.5 years ago. Just had Vodacom fibre installed on April 1st and cancelled the damned Telkom line.

Good luck to the rest of you, it is and will remain a struggle with Telkom.

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I was having issues for the first time in years and years and it looks like I'm now on Fast Path, which means lower ping but my upload is 3Mbps instead of 10Mbps, looks like another fault to log if ASSIA doesn't up it back to 10Mbps. I just want my 40/10 and 24ms I've had for 3 years with zero issues.

Last edited:

AirWolf

Honorary Master
I was having issues for the first time in years and years and it looks like I'm now on Fast Path, which means lower ping but my upload is 3Mbps instead of 10Mbps, looks like another fault to log if ASSIA doesn't up it back to 10Mbps. I just want my 40/10 and 24ms I've had for 3 years with zero issues.
Is the 40/10 on Adsl?

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Someone from Openserve called me and said it's impossible to get 10Mbps upload on copper.

Yuu

Executive Member
@Soul Assassin
:laugh::X3: Keep trying.

Really strange they giving you the run around.

You have screenshots of your sync before the change? :unsure:

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I'm going to get an aneurysm and then my family is going to have to sue them for my loss of life.

I had someone call me and say he can't change anything on my line as my line is with my ISP, I tell him it's not, he tells me to contact my ISP, I tell him my line rental isn't with them, he tells me in Afrikaans luister hier dit klink my jy verstaan nie, jy het 'n paket by Vox.

I'm seriously going to lose it.

Yuu

Executive Member
Eish! That is a very suur response. :(

Wait a week until ASSIA adjusts then hassle them again maybe an option. o_O

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Eish! That is a very suur response. :(

Wait a week until ASSIA adjusts then hassle them again maybe an option. o_O
That's what I'm going to do, wait and see if ASSIA kicks me back up, if not, fault number three.

Also contact a manager because no one talks to me the way this person did.

Reactions: Yuu

BTTB

First time I had to call them in forever and it nearly gave me a heart attack. I want fibre.
Fibre box was installed on the wall outside about a month ago, so I have options.
However, I still need my Telkom line for business so will look at porting options one of these days.
My 10Mb ADSL is working fine so haven't been compelled to change and make that call and possibly raise the blood pressure.

Reactions: Yuu

Signor65

Do these line stats look right to you guys? I tried googling interleave depth with regards to such a high number, and I can't find anything over about 200. Ping in online games lately has been real rough. On 20Mbps VDSL by the way.

stats.PNG

I saw earlier in the thread that people have been able to get put off of interleaving permanently, is that viable in my position? Would this be via contacting their ISP? Or Telkom directly?

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
Do these line stats look right to you guys? I tried googling interleave depth with regards to such a high number, and I can't find anything over about 200. Ping in online games lately has been real rough. On 20Mbps VDSL by the way.

View attachment 677125

I saw earlier in the thread that people have been able to get put off of interleaving permanently, is that viable in my position? Would this be via contacting their ISP? Or Telkom directly?
It says you're on 40Mbps?

Signor65

I wish that were the case. When I switched over to VDSL a few months back my ISP called me and told me that they noticed it was syncing at 40Mbps and asked me to do a speed test. Definitely getting 20Mbps. They said they'd leave it as is based on the speed I was getting. Maybe there's more issues to be caused by this than what I'm aware of.
speedtest.PNG
Also, I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be getting 60 ping to the city I live in, no?

BTTB

Could you screenshot the DSL Status page again of your router Signor65, so we can see the top half of the screen like in the image I uploaded now.

That Interleave Depth of yours looks crazy high to me but then I am not sure what would be normal.

In my case my Downstream Interleave Depth used to be Fastpath and Upstream around 32, then one day a couple of months ago it was set at 128/8 and it hasn't moved from there since nor has the router been reset by ASSIA.
ASSIA appears to not be enabled on my line as my router does not get reset unless I unplug it or restart the router. I was connected for around 25 days recently with little or no CRC errors, in other words the most stable ADSL connection I can remember, probably ever.
Telkom worked at our exchange around the same time and ironically Fibre Lines have been installed in our neighbourhood around the same time. Sort of makes your mind wonder if the 2 events were somehow connected and I doubt we will ever get any answers out of Telkom.

Around August last year ADSL started playing up badly in our area, router was resetting all the time, ASSIA was going ballistic intervening all the time. So glad that episode is over and it makes me wonder if Telkom had more incentive to actually fix the ADSL in this area with Fibre now an option?

Wish we had the option for VDSL, my line stats are perfect for it.

Attachments

Soul Assassin

Executive Member
I wish that were the case. When I switched over to VDSL a few months back my ISP called me and told me that they noticed it was syncing at 40Mbps and asked me to do a speed test. Definitely getting 20Mbps. They said they'd leave it as is based on the speed I was getting. Maybe there's more issues to be caused by this than what I'm aware of.
View attachment 677127
You're definitely on a 40Mbps line. Is your data account uncapped or capped?

StoneCold

Expert Member
View attachment 677127
Just make sure your ISP charges you for a 20mb line and not 40mb.