Telkom extends ADSL promotion

That's actually a good service, you can get about 120GB a month on a 2Mb/s line (more on higher speeds) if you make use of it.

Hope Afrihost sees this. Now this is great value.

This was what I was hoping for. Thank you, Telkom! :)

Queue the normal Telkom haters.

That's actually a good service, you can get about 120GB a month on a 2Mb/s line (more on higher speeds) if you make use of it.
That's more than the uncapped guys get, which is making me scratch my head!

IMHO this is the future of ADSL in South Africa: capped account with unlimited nighttime data. Perfect for scheduling backups and big downloads at off-peak times. Hope MTN Business (Afrihost, Axxess) and all the other tier-one providers can also come to the party...

You're trolling again. I'm a 2Mb/s uncapped user and I can get way more than that.
The cutoff is not fixed, but some report getting throttled at 100Gb. It depends on when you download.

The point I'm making is that in some cases, an account like this with Nightsurfer can be an option given that uncapped is getting restricted.

AWESOME!

I have a 20GB +20GB account at our business which I also use at home concurrently. All antivirus and updates are scheduled for between 00:01 and 05:59 and I schedule all of my personal downloads at both sites during that time as well. Pulled just over 200GB during that timeslot in June (the TI Tracker gives you a record of how much "free" data you got) and only used 50% of the 40GB cap between the office and home.

My 30+30GB Afrihost backup account is lying unused.......

Telkom has a really great product with this 6 hour "free" window! Long may it live!

Further to my post above, I was astounded to find that the Telkom accounts offer concurrent "free data" in the 6hr timeslot on multiple connections!

Oh thank you so much Telkom.

I have the TI 10GB account, on a 2Mbps line, did 106GB just on torrents. Funny enough, torrents dont seem to be as badly affected by the reduction in speed, like HTTP.

Keep the gravy coming, Telkom :D

Funny enough, torrents dont seem to be as badly affected by the reduction in speed, like HTTP.
I find that torrents are heavily shaped during the day - I have got a maximum of 25kb/s. I add everything into a queue for the nightsurfer window.

If I need something urgently, I use my Afrihost unshaped account and then switch back to Telkom when done.

I find that torrents are heavily shaped during the day - I have got a maximum of 25kb/s. I add everything into a queue for the nightsurfer window.

If I need something urgently, I use my Afrihost unshaped account and then switch back to Telkom when done.

On my side I get 38 - 40Kb/s when they apply some shaping...otherwise, most of the time, each torrent will be running anywhere between 50 - 100kb/s (I run two at a time).

I dunno, either way, I am getting the most out of this capped internet :)

The title of this article should've been "Telkom Internet extends ADSL promotion." For a moment there I got excited thinking all ADSL users are getting something for free. :-( Afrihost, I hope you're paying attention. I would gladly take a capped day-time account for free after-hours data.

EDIT: Slight format fix.

Thanks Telkom! Your soft-capped account plus the NightSurfer is actually reasonable value in the context of SA's ADSL pricing. Credit where credit is due, but please don't let this statement put you off from making an effort to do even better in future.

Back