Telkom Fibre High latency at night

iwasstig

Does anyone have a solution to my problem. Firstly I'm from PE. If I do a speedtest during the day I get roughly 24ms to Cape Town or Port Elizabeth and between 40 to 100 to Johannesburg. This I know is way to high. In the evenings from 6:30pm to 22:30 to 23:00pm every night I get 75ms to Cape Town or even locally. I can't even play Tarkov at night because my ping to Johannesburg is over 200 and the game kicks you if you exceed 200ms. I have googled and googled with no end in site. I have phoned Telkom everyday and evening for the past 3 weeks for help and on my cell contract because they never get back to you.
Even Last night I phoned and the guy was testing my line and I lost the call. You would think that he would phone me back, so that I wouldn't have to explain myself again to someone new, but that's a joke.
The Telkom techies don't seem to understand Ping, but only Speeds. They say I'm not getting throttled as my package is a premium package.
My only thought is there is congestion on the line at night and from what I have read, there is no solution to that. My contract is new and only 5 months old but I have been having endless problems of no internet, to my log in details resetting, to this. I need to find out if I have clause to cancel the contract for either bad service or false advertising, but I just can't pay so much for fibre for mostly gaming and I can't play anything online from 7pm to 23pm every night.
If anyone has had similar experience or can give me advise please, as I'm starting to be rude to the Telkom staff and I know it's not their fault but I don't know what else to do. When all you want to do after a hard days work is come home and play some MP to get rid of those stresses of the day.

CrypticZA

Expert Member
They offered to cancel my LTE package if I moved to Fibre. Which was also a lie as I had to pay my contract up in full.
Download pingplotter or WINMTR run some trace routes to destinations like 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 then something international as well and post that would be the first step

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
Happy to provide a test account so you can compare. This will help you see if there’s a backhaul issue or if this is Telkom related. Drop me a PM.

iwasstig

This I took after 7pm as the ping from PE to Cape Town before is 24ms. After 7pm and it shoots up.

iwasstig

To Telkom. I will send it to there Twitter account but highly unlikely they will do anything.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
I had the same thing with Vumatel, also 7PM at night and then they upgraded the core switch for the area from 10G to 100G.

iwasstig

I had the same thing with Vumatel, also 7PM at night and then they upgraded the core switch for the area from 10G to 100G.
How did you get them to do this and did you wait long? I just sent those images to their Twitter account and said if they don't want me to take this further, to cancel my new contract, so I may move to a new service provider that knows what they are doing.

Last edited:

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
How did you get them to do this and did you wait long? I just sent those images to their Twitter account and said if they don't want me to take this further, to cancel my new contract, so I may more to a new service provider that knows what they are doing.
Contacted my ISP with many tests and many screenshots and then about 10 days later I saw the notice from Vumatel.

iwasstig

I will send this directly to Vumatel as it's their line and god help me if they say one more time to get a ticket.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
I will send this directly to Vumatel as it's their line and god help me if they say one more time to get a ticket.

I didn't pick up on the Vumatel in the first post you made, and assumed you were on Openserve - apologies. If that's the case, then that second hop is Vumatel's handover to Telkom (22 odd ms - which is about right and matches what we're seeing). The rest of that latency is inside Telkom's network.... this isn't an FNO issue.

iwasstig

I didn't pick up on the Vumatel in the first post you made, and assumed you were on Openserve - apologies. If that's the case, then that second hop is Vumatel's handover to Telkom (22 odd ms - which is about right and matches what we're seeing). The rest of that latency is inside Telkom's network.... this isn't an FNO issue.
So if its Telkom, can it be fixed? Could I be been throttled even though it won't say so on my account to them.

websquadza

WebSquad
Company Rep
So if its Telkom, can it be fixed? Could I be been throttled even though it won't say so on my account to them.
Throttling doesn't affect latency, unless of course your connection is congested and will generally show packet loss too. So it's definitely not that.. this is just routing...