Telkom Fish Hoek ADSL slow/down August 13 2012

joecool

Does anyone have any idea when full ADSL service will be restored to Telkom subscribers in the Fish Hoek area? Thanks in advance

Yuu

Expert Member
The answer lies few threads below yours :p

/also wrong section posting a thread, reserved for saix notices only :).

joecool

The answer lies few threads below yours :p

/also wrong section posting a thread, reserved for saix notices only :).
Apologies for posting in the wrong section. The answer "lies a few threads below"? Please, would you mind explaining further to someone who is baffled by what is going on. Thanks so much

Yuu

Expert Member
Apologies for posting in the wrong section. The answer "lies a few threads below"? Please, would you mind explaining further to someone who is baffled by what is going on. Thanks so much
Its cool joe :D....i wasn't punishing you or anything :).

I saw this notice below, http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/455517-Link-To-perform-Planned-Maintenance-on-the-Telkom-Network-at-Franschhoek

Also, you posting here made me see it so in effect, you succeeded in it getting attention :p.

FartyMarty

Last edited:

texo

Expert Member
Second day with broken internets, and I received an SMS a few minutes ago:

This is a progress update from Telkom SA. Fault ... for Service ID ... is in hand with our tech repair division.
So I have no idea when it's going to be fixed, unfortunately. Have you logged a fault?

joecool

Its cool joe :D....i wasn't punishing you or anything :).

I saw this notice below, http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/455517-Link-To-perform-Planned-Maintenance-on-the-Telkom-Network-at-Franschhoek

Also, you posting here made me see it so in effect, you succeeded in it getting attention :p.
No problem at all. Appreciate all the help I can get. Unfortunately the link you quoted refers to Franschhoek and I'm in Fish Hoek and my problem has been around since last Saturday.

I have reported the problem at least three times, with the last call barely an hour ago. As usual with Telkom it is not clear what the fault is or how long it might take to resolve it. There was a suggestion (are they trying to cheer me up?) that in fact it is NOT a fault but an upgrade! That's what the man said. He said Telkom was busy upgrading the line speed.

So now I sit and wait. I have been doing this since Saturday --- and who knows Telkom might yet deliver a super-fast connection one of these days.

I'll just have to hold on to my new fault number while Telkom "will endeavour to resolve the problem ASAP" (all their words)

joecool

Yes I've logged many calls and also received a cryptic SMS. See my detailed response to Yuu

Yuu

Expert Member
Oh SNAP! lol i am sorry, i need a double pair of glasses it seems :p.

Hope you get sorted. Soo embarassing :eek:.

/crawls into the corner :D

Last edited:

Danieljoh

My ADSL is also pretty crappy, not completely dead, but bad enough for it to be a real pain.
Seems to be dropping 1 in 5 packets or so, so it's fine for browsing but useless for downloading or streaming.

The excuse of "upgrading the line" sounds abit rubbish, as my line has been running at 10Mbps for the last 2 months.
If they are gonna upgrade me to 20Mbps, then they'd be forgiven, but I highly doubt that.

Remember to log a case with Telkom, that way you'll at least get your bill reduced accordingly at the end of the month.

I've learnt over the years that calling Telkom is just a waste of time, and your the only choice is to wait it out. :(

joecool

My ADSL is also pretty crappy, not completely dead, but bad enough for it to be a real pain.
Seems to be dropping 1 in 5 packets or so, so it's fine for browsing but useless for downloading or streaming.

The excuse of "upgrading the line" sounds abit rubbish, as my line has been running at 10Mbps for the last 2 months.
If they are gonna upgrade me to 20Mbps, then they'd be forgiven, but I highly doubt that.

Remember to log a case with Telkom, that way you'll at least get your bill reduced accordingly at the end of the month.

I've learnt over the years that calling Telkom is just a waste of time, and your the only choice is to wait it out. :(
Telkom users in Fish Hoek are now into day FOUR without proper connectivity (ie sending outgoing mail is almost impossible).

I have gone the Call Centre route ("Switch off and switch off your router") and logged many calls.

However, a passing albatross told me this morning that Telkom is "working on the problem" and the problem might not even lay in Fish Hoek but at some other site.

We live in hope. If anyone (no marketing persons please!) knows of a reliable ISP with call centre operators who know what they are talking about then please let me know. Thank you.

Peter Bee

Fish Hoek

Telkom users in Fish Hoek are now into day FOUR without proper connectivity (ie sending outgoing mail is almost impossible).

I have gone the Call Centre route ("Switch off and switch off your router") and logged many calls.

However, a passing albatross told me this morning that Telkom is "working on the problem" and the problem might not even lay in Fish Hoek but at some other site.

We live in hope. If anyone (no marketing persons please!) knows of a reliable ISP with call centre operators who know what they are talking about then please let me know. Thank you.
Same problem since Saturday - no upload. How do you run a business with no ADSL for 5 days? Phone call ex Telkom 2 hours ago - "they are working on the problem, there are approx 250 ports faulty at Fish Hoek"

So no, its not actually an upgrade.....

texo

Expert Member
I've just received an SMS stating that the fault has been cleared, which it clearly has not. So I phoned Telkom and they insist that there is no problem with our lines! I insisted that a new fault is reported. So I can't see any light at the end of the tunnel yet.

RickA

Hi Daniel

Where in Fish Hoek are you? I would love to have a 10Mbs connection, I pay for a 4Mbs connection, but for the past year my line will not connect above 2Mbs, despite having connected perfectly at 4Mbs for the previous 4 - 5 years that I have had it installed. I have tried 4 different ADSL/2+ modems, four different ISP's - no difference.

When I check the DSL availability tool on Telkom's website - it states that the Max speed in Fish Hoek dial code area is 1Mbs? and my current speed is 4Mbs???? WTF

Calling Telkom is less than USELESS, I gave up after logging a couple of calls, having them "check the line from their end and closing the call" saying they could not see any problem, and STRESSING the fact that if I have someone come out and the problem is on my end, and not related to them that I would be charged!!

TheRealDax

@RickA

I have been on 1Mb for a good year now and have been checking the Telkom DSL 10Mbps checker website to see when Fish Hoek would be upgraded, but every time I look it still says 4Mbps..

Then last week my friend who lives down the road told me he syncs at 7Mbps!!

so I finally upgraded my line speed to 10Mbps and I now sync at 10,015 Kbps!

Moral of the story, don't believe anything from Telkom and their website is definitely out of date

Danieljoh

Hi Daniel

Where in Fish Hoek are you? I would love to have a 10Mbs connection, I pay for a 4Mbs connection, but for the past year my line will not connect above 2Mbs, despite having connected perfectly at 4Mbs for the previous 4 - 5 years that I have had it installed. I have tried 4 different ADSL/2+ modems, four different ISP's - no difference.

When I check the DSL availability tool on Telkom's website - it states that the Max speed in Fish Hoek dial code area is 1Mbs? and my current speed is 4Mbs???? WTF

Calling Telkom is less than USELESS, I gave up after logging a couple of calls, having them "check the line from their end and closing the call" saying they could not see any problem, and STRESSING the fact that if I have someone come out and the problem is on my end, and not related to them that I would be charged!!
Hi Rick

I'm opposite the FH police station. So pretty much the entrance to FH.
My ADSL went down, then the next day I saw a bunch of Telkom guys messing around by the Kalk Bay robots, and the following day my line was syncing at 10Mbps.

My mother, who is close to Silverglades sports field, is still syncing at 4Mbps though.
So it might be a 782 vs 785 kinda thing.

Peter Bee

Hi Daniel

@Ricka
Same problem - 2 very happy problem-free years on a 4Mbs line. Then it all went crazy two months ago, speeds of 0.5Mbps etc. Telkom insisted there was no problem. Changed/swapped all my equipment, tried different service provider. Eventually a technician came out and after first insisting it was a service provider issue, went up the ladder and checked the connections from the street pole - one corroded connection found. Problem fixed.

Until Saturday's new problem.....

With frequent high winds and salt-laden air in Fish Hoek, all outside connections/cabling should maybe be looked at first?

RickA

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, nice to see that there are higher speeds possible in Fish Hoek area. I will have to log another call and get someone to come out and check the line - maybe its corroded connections? It must be something like aging copper / corrosion etc as it worked perfectly for nearly 5 years before that.

As for the 10Mbs line speed - Dax - how did you do the upgrade to 10Mbs line speed? Considering their systems tell us it isnt available in the area? BTW - i'm on Fish Hoek mountainside - up Quarry rd.

TheRealDax

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies, nice to see that there are higher speeds possible in Fish Hoek area. I will have to log another call and get someone to come out and check the line - maybe its corroded connections? It must be something like aging copper / corrosion etc as it worked perfectly for nearly 5 years before that.

As for the 10Mbs line speed - Dax - how did you do the upgrade to 10Mbs line speed? Considering their systems tell us it isnt available in the area? BTW - i'm on Fish Hoek mountainside - up Quarry rd.

The ADSL portion of my line isn't being managed by Telkom, it's being managed by Axxess, and before that Webafrica.

I phoned and asked them if they could increase my line speed and they confirmed it was possible