Telkom fixed-line numbers now much lower than 1994

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Telkom previously said the decline was caused by many factors, including competition from mobile services, copper theft, and tough economic conditions.

Yes, and instead of taking on the completion (cost me nothing PM to just have a cell phone) you increase the line rental every year, lessening the value proposition every time.

isie

Honorary Master
Yes, and instead of taking on the completion (cost me nothing PM to just have a cell phone) you increase the line rental every year, lessening the value proposition every time.

^ This plus i'm sure a lot of people who had 2 lines (1 fax and 1 telephone) cancelled 1 - chances are Plenty of those with a phone only have it for ADSL and with Fibre coming in they Cancel - the rest are probably just older folks who don't trust a cellphone :D

Lupus

Honorary Master
Going to get lower and lower, as people are switching to fiber, and you morons did what every other SA company does, you increased the product to make up lost income.

cueball

Vumatel's ball is rolling in my area. Soon(ish) no more Telkom for me. Can't wait.

MickeyD

RIP
Article is missing one VERY important factor...

Telkom had to achieve certain fixed line roll out targets from 1991/92 onwards in return for licence exclusivity.

Xiphan

I'm not really surprised at the loss, because over the years the only thing that has declined faster is the quality of their lines. :rolleyes:

markings

Expert Member
I'm not really surprised at the loss, because over the years the only thing that has declined faster is the quality of their lines. :rolleyes:
But the quality of land line calls is still vastly superior to cell phones.

Petec

Expert Member
But the quality of land line calls is still vastly superior to cell phones.

Prob is that they are too thick to capitalize on this fact.

Bundle line costs with airtime or pay TV, if going ADSL.
Make call charges cheaper than cell or voip, regardless of where you are calling in SA.
Etc, etc, etc.

Venomous

Honorary Master
Article is missing one VERY important factor...

Telkom had to achieve certain fixed line roll out targets from 1991/92 onwards in return for licence exclusivity.
And are they meeting those targets?

MickeyD

RIP
And are they meeting those targets?
Targets no longer exist... it got murky when the SNO was announced with some dirty tricks (lawyers made money!!!) and then the targets no longer existed when Neotel came into being.

upup

Executive Member
I know I am of the point, but what happen to the voda / neotel deal, and is neotel still the Second network operator.

ponder

Honorary Master
MyBB you could have at least provided percentages in that table so it's easier to make sense of.