Telkom Freeme Contracts A Sham

Jakes5

Telkom started introducing these FreeMe contracts a while ago which promised:
- an allocation of data for normal internet use
- an allocation of data for Whatsapp calls and media
- free Whatsapp messages.

I have one of these contracts and it all worked perfectly until a few weeks ago. All of a sudden I couldn’t connect to the Whatsapp anymore if my normal data was depleted. The call centre assistant said they have a issue with FreeMe data on iPhones that should be sorted out soon. However, today the same thing happened and I phoned the call centre again. This time things were a bit different:

The call centre assistant informed me that the Whatsapp data is NOT FREE ANYMORE, and that you need to have normal data or airtime left to use Whatsapp. They changed their policy and benefits she said. I explained to her that Telkom cannot just merely change contractually agreed upon terms as they wish without consent from the other party. She reckons they didn’t change my contract, just my benefits.

In the end, Telkom lured us to these contracts just to throw us under the bus again.

Telkom started introducing these FreeMe contracts a while ago which promised:
- an allocation of data for normal internet use
- an allocation of data for Whatsapp calls and media
- free Whatsapp messages.

I have one of these contracts and it all worked perfectly until a few weeks ago. All of a sudden I couldn’t connect to the Whatsapp anymore if my normal data was depleted. The call centre assistant said they have a issue with FreeMe data on iPhones that should be sorted out soon. However, today the same thing happened and I phoned the call centre again. This time things were a bit different:

The call centre assistant informed me that the Whatsapp data is NOT FREE ANYMORE, and that you need to have normal data or airtime left to use Whatsapp. They changed their policy and benefits she said. I explained to her that Telkom cannot just merely change contractually agreed upon terms as they wish without consent from the other party. She reckons they didn’t change my contract, just my benefits.

In the end, Telkom lured us to these contracts just to throw us under the bus again.
Telkom gon' Telkom

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Telkom products are good but service is piss poor. They have overcharged me since vat changed and have basically told me that they won't fix it and that I am wasting my time trying to get them to fix it.

Aquiva

The lied to you. Mine still works fine and it is still advertised on their website and brochures as:

If you use Instant Messaging (IM) apps like WhatsApp, BBM and Viber, those are 100% free to use – it doesn’t cost you any of your data allowance. And for all of the old school peeps, you get free SMS too. (2GB FUP)

genetic

Honorary Master
The lied to you. Mine still works fine and it is still advertised on their website and brochures as:

If you use Instant Messaging (IM) apps like WhatsApp, BBM and Viber, those are 100% free to use – it doesn’t cost you any of your data allowance. And for all of the old school peeps, you get free SMS too. (2GB FUP)
This.

ngwe23

Executive Member
Telkom products are good but service is piss poor. They have overcharged me since vat changed and have basically told me that they won't fix it and that I am wasting my time trying to get them to fix it.
I am yet to see any provider that has good service. They are all terrible. Vodacom and MTN being the worst.

Jakes5

Nope, on my iPhone once my normal data is used up, and I still have 1709 MB of IM data left, it refuses to send Whatsapp messages. It just says connecting all the time and eventually ‘waiting for network’. Load a 25 MB bundle and everything works fine again. It does then deduct data from the IM portion and not from the bundle I just loaded, but if I need to purchase an additional data bundle before I can use Free Whatsapp, then it isn’t free anymore.

phant1m

I found it to be 100% fine. Including lit data. when my limits run out i can still whatsapp and stream.

SDSmurf

I got my kids a Freeme 1GB deal with the R40 /100min addition.
Working 100% fine (coverage, data usage) for both of them, on Huawei's..