Telkom FreeMe Price Hike

Mylky

Just wondering if I missed it: Did anybody get any communication from Telkom about a price hike for FreeMe Bundles?

I use their prepaid FreeMe bundles and depending on my plans for the month I usually load my airtime weekly and use the free airtime for texts and calls for the month while using my previous month's data for my internet needs, then use my actual airtime to buy the 20GB for R499 (with 'free' calls, texts, social media and streaming data added to the 20GB data), especially since data has been carrying over 60 days (so total cost of airtime and data is R500 every two months). I've never had any issues.

Recently my data from last month ran out and I tried to buy a new bundle, but the price has jumped to R599 almost overnight (that's a 20% increase!). I usually get an sms from Telkom when they are changing prices or contents of bundles, but I can't recall getting one for this.

I did recently get a cold call from the call centre agent trying to push a contract, but I declined. I don't know if that is linked to my new price at all, so I thought I'd check here if anybody else has any info or if this is just a stealth price hike from Telkom's side, in which case I need to compare to other networks again and decide if Telkom still makes sense for me.

cogillws

Just wondering if I missed it: Did anybody get any communication from Telkom about a price hike for FreeMe Bundles?

I use their prepaid FreeMe bundles and depending on my plans for the month I usually load my airtime weekly and use the free airtime for texts and calls for the month while using my previous month's data for my internet needs, then use my actual airtime to buy the 20GB for R499 (with 'free' calls, texts, social media and streaming data added to the 20GB data), especially since data has been carrying over 60 days (so total cost of airtime and data is R500 every two months). I've never had any issues.

Recently my data from last month ran out and I tried to buy a new bundle, but the price has jumped to R599 almost overnight (that's a 20% increase!). I usually get an sms from Telkom when they are changing prices or contents of bundles, but I can't recall getting one for this.

I did recently get a cold call from the call centre agent trying to push a contract, but I declined. I don't know if that is linked to my new price at all, so I thought I'd check here if anybody else has any info or if this is just a stealth price hike from Telkom's side, in which case I need to compare to other networks again and decide if Telkom still makes sense for me.
The prices have been hiked even further.
Previously, a FreeMe 2GB bundle comprised, 2GB data, 2GB(FUP) WhatsApp data, unlimited (FUP) calls to Telkom numbers and 2GB for streaming (FUP) - for R249.00. This bundle has now changed to 2GB data, 500MB WhatsApp, 500MB Streaming, 1000 on-net calling minutes [now called the Freeme 3GB? for R189.00 [sim-only]? Where are the data price savings which were mentioned in the media?

Mylky

I'm glad I don't subscribe to brand loyalty. This is ridiculous.