Telkom has discreetly lowered the pricing of its two year SmartBroadband Wireless contracts

mylesillidge

Journalist
Telkom slashes data prices

Telkom has quietly reduced the prices of its 24-month SmartBroadband Wireless contracts by between 30% and 43%.

The company has also introduced changes to its product portfolio, such as increasing the data allocation of its 80GB service to 90GB while simultaneously decreasing the price.

freematrix

Yeah it does not help to give customers all this bandwidth and they cannot use it because of poor coverage, poor speeds and poor support.

nicroets

I have 40+40 which I signed up when it was on special (R200). I once tested it at 70 Mbps.

From it, I can send up to 10 GB every month to 3 members of our family, who are on smart wireless prepaid.

Then I also have a contact SIM with 10 GB all network data for R200. I send my total allocation to the 3 Sims above (plus various other friends and family on normal Telkom prepaid). The SIM cards and the phones are configured to roam when we leave Telkom coverage.

Always connected at a great price.

fritzm

I have a Telkom data contract that I got some years ago which was very cheap, but only on-net. At the beginning it was quite useful because the Telkom network covered the two places I spend the most time in - work and home. However since then the Telkom network coverage has been shrinking steadily and there are almost no places where I can still connect. Basically a Telkom contract that only works on their network isn't worth it at any price.

Budza

Executive Member
I have a Telkom data contract that I got some years ago which was very cheap, but only on-net. At the beginning it was quite useful because the Telkom network covered the two places I spend the most time in - work and home. However since then the Telkom network coverage has been shrinking steadily and there are almost no places where I can still connect. Basically a Telkom contract that only works on their network isn't worth it at any price.

Have you disabled roaming?

Since the switch to Vodacom as partner, my SmartData SIM would sometimes switch to roaming when signal was stronger there even though I had Telkom coverage. With no 'roaming' data, the connection would drop & redirect to the OOB page.

Disabling roaming means it stays on Telkom no matter what and retains connection even if sometimes a bit slow.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Strange experience you have, my Telkom (with VC roaming turned off on Telkom profile) even worked flawlessly in Pennington area 3 weeks ago, a place where 5 years ago even the Vodacom signal was weak and slow (VC also much improved at the locale).

I have been on 8TA/Telkom since they had that first 10GB per month deal, so 2011 at least.

BCR

Expert Member
Telkom's prepaid LTE pricing has been the same for at least the last year.

Yet recently, Afrihost have been able to increase Telkom LTE data, in some cases significantly, for the same price - see below.

This is what Telkom have been charging on prepaid, for ages now :

(recently added a 3+3 and 7.5+7.5 so lower package pricing somewhat improved upon, recently)

5 + 5 - R 99
10 + 10 - R 149
20 +20 - 249
40 + 40 - 359
60 + 60 - 459
80 + 80 - 559
120 + 120 - 759
220 + 220 - 1,059

Updated Afrihost (Telkom LTE) pricing from approx. Fri 15th October 2021 (when I first noticed the changes) :

20 + 20 = R 199
40 + 40 = R 219
60 + 60 = R 319
90 + 90 = R 429
130 + 130 = R 539
180 + 180 = R 699
220 + 220 = R 799
300 + 300 = R 999

I think below was the old Afrihost (Telkom LTE) pricing, until fairly recently, but didn't label it 100% in notes I keep ; they do look familiar to me, so will stick by them, unless corrected :

30 + 30 = R219
50 + 50 = R319
70 + 70 = R429
90 + 90 = R539
120 + 120 = R699
220 + 220 = R999

Notice how much more you get now, compared to the old Afrihost & current Telkom pricing.

I suppose Telkom can point to the fact that you only need to buy their's once every 2 months, if you buy enough Anytime, whereas Afrihost you're committed to on a monthly basis.

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I suppose Telkom can point to the fact that you only need to buy their's once every 2 months, if you buy enough Anytime, whereas Afrihost you're committed to on a monthly basis.

Yes, it's cool that Telkom prepaid carries over, unlike the other clowns with their 30 day BS.

BCR

Expert Member
Yes, it's cool that Telkom prepaid carries over, unlike the other clowns with their 30 day BS.
This is exactly what I'm debating atm, if / when I move most of my data from Cell C - to go with Telkom directly, or Afrihost.

Another advantage to Telkom is having a 2nd SIM (in a smartphone) to easily transfer data across to.