Telkom Internet launches free Dynamic DNS

Dark Agent

Expert Member
It will be great for the majority who access remote pc but it also a security concern for those that don't secure they computers.

Hummercellc

Expert Member
Maybe Telkom should get their ass into gear and give ISP's Bitstream instead of IPC, so that ISP's can offer Static IP's on PPPoE connections and allow MLPPP Bonding

MickeyD

RIP
Maybe Telkom should get their ass into gear and give ISP's Bitstream instead of IPC, so that ISP's can offer Static IP's on PPPoE connections and allow MLPPP Bonding
That's Telkom Wholesale... DDNS is Telkom Internet.

mh348

Expert Member
1 week after I paid for an annual dyndns subscription. Great timing by me.
Tnen again I am not on Telkom Internet.

Then again I may be there soon... FTTH is coming

It's been available for some time now, I noticed it about 2 or 3 weeks ago when changing a family members password.

Ryansr

Expert Member
This is great news for people like me who still used no-ip's free dns service. :D

Thank you Telkom!

Xzib1t

Expert Member
But now that I've enabled it what do I do? the router doesn't accept any other DDNS service provider other than DynDNS?

:confused:

ranger

Expert Member
Maybe Telkom should get their ass into gear and give ISP's Bitstream instead of IPC.

As far as I know, it has been technically ready for a few years, but the regulator hasn't required it. So, wrong organisation that needs to get its "ass into gear" ....

Xzib1t

Expert Member
It doesn't require any support or configuration. Activate the feature using the service management tool, and reboot your router.

Well that is surprisingly easy, however I've activated the feature and rebooted the router, now my ISP account won't connect?

(Line is synced and TI username and password is correct)

Edit: Disabled the DDNS service and it connects again.

Last edited:

howdous

Well that is surprisingly easy, however I've activated the feature and rebooted the router, now my ISP account won't connect?

(Line is synced and TI username and password is correct)

Edit: Disabled the DDNS service and it connects again.

Yeah, exactly the same happened to me. I also had to disable it so I could connect again. What's up with this?

kianm

Honorary Master
That's a great move. Good for the Telkom customers. I would use it if i were their customer

cfilorux

Welcome to the party

Other ADSL providers have been quietly offering this for years. If you ask, you may find that you already have a dynamic DNS address. Dynamic DNS is only as good as the stability of your connection though -- if someone else gets your old IP address while you are off, then good luck to you.

Last edited:

ranger

Expert Member
Yeah, exactly the same happened to me. I also had to disable it so I could connect again. What's up with this?

Hmm, I have been running with the DDNS enabled for about 2 months, and haven't seen this.

There were more authentication faults this weekend though, which may or may not be related.

I'll investigate/test.

ranger

Expert Member
Dynamic DNS is only as good as the stability of your connection though -- if someone else gets your old IP address while you are off, then good luck to you.

That doesn't make sense ...

We remove the DNS record when your session ends, so someone getting 'your IP' is irrelevant. We have short TTLs on the records, so the old record won't be around for too long after your session ends.

Last edited: