Telkom is losing fixed line subscribers at a huge rate

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
What was their peak number of fixed line subscribers over the years?

Momz0r

Telkom is losing fixed line subscribers at a huge rate

Telkom released its interim results for the six months ended 30 September 2019, which show a huge decline in fixed-line subscribers.

Telkom’s fixed-line subscribers declined from 2,566,000 in September 2018 to 1,975,000 in September 2019.
And then they still had the nerve to come and cut all their copper cables from the poles, telling me "this whole area is dead". What BS! I was (and many others) still using our ADSL lines. It's been 2 weeks now without any internet, and no land line number.
After a long battle I eventually spoke to a Telkom agent, just to be told that they are out of stock of LTE routers and don't have a clue when to expect more!! Well, here I am, waving them goodbye, after being a loyal customer for 20 years!

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Well, I am on 10 mbps, uncapped ADSL, and they are offering to move me to LTE "Uncapped" ... , that is, 150 gig. at 10 mbps, next 50 gig. at 4 mbps, there after, 2 mbps till month end. Told them that that was not going to cut it. Agent just said goodbye.

Probably don't have much choice, so next time they phone, will probably tell them okay. Will have to get an MTN Fixed LTE deal to supplement that deal.

Fox1

Executive Member
Rain uncapped plus MTN LTE is the way forward. Remember that Telkom ADSL isn't fast anyways by modern standards.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Rain uncapped plus MTN LTE is the way forward. Remember that Telkom ADSL isn't fast anyways by modern standards.

No it is not fast, but for my household, it is sufficient, and uncapped, because 2x children play online computer games, and stream 5-6 hours of NetFlix and YouTube a day. Just got 1 Huawei B618 router, want another, then I can also get RAIN SIM ...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
And then they still had the nerve to come and cut all their copper cables from the poles, telling me "this whole area is dead". What BS! I was (and many others) still using our ADSL lines. It's been 2 weeks now without any internet, and no land line number.
After a long battle I eventually spoke to a Telkom agent, just to be told that they are out of stock of LTE routers and don't have a clue when to expect more!! Well, here I am, waving them goodbye, after being a loyal customer for 20 years!

Where I stay Telkom phoned everyone in this regard. Did the switchover prior to disconnecting their customers.

I don't know anyone who is complaining to be without service where they did the switchover.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I also know that they are giving businesses extra time to migrate. Residential is the priority switchover.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Where I stay Telkom phoned everyone in this regard. Did the switchover prior to disconnecting their customers.

I don't know anyone who is complaining to be without service where they did the switchover.
That was better organized, where I am the cable was stolen, I reported a fault to Telkom, a month went past without hearing anything from Telkom. A couple of weeks into the second month I knew nothing was going to come of it and I cancelled.

The sms about moving the service to LTE came after I have cancelled their service. That is how they lost customers, no one has time to be waiting on them, I already had LTE on top of the Adsl, so there was no point for me to move to LTE.

Last edited:

now05ster

Expert Member
That was better organized, where I am the cable was stolen, I reported a fault to Telkom, a month went past without hearing anything from Telkom. A couple of weeks into the second month I knew nothing was going to come of it and I cancelled.

The sms about moving the service to LTE came after I have cancelled their service. That is how they lost customers, no one has time to wait to be waiting on them, I already had LTE on top of the Adsl, so there was no point for me to move to LTE.
I'm also due to lose my Telkom ADSL. No fibre in my area and I have LTE. If I choose to do nothing will they (eventually) stop billing for it as well?
After all 150gb aup is less than the current aup I signed up got.
That's my goal, getting rid of Hellkom, without having to incur penalties as this is a new installation.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I'm also due to lose my Telkom ADSL. No fibre in my area and I have LTE. If I choose to do nothing will they (eventually) stop billing for it as well?
After all 150gb aup is less than the current aup I signed up got.
That's my goal, getting rid of Hellkom, without having to incur penalties as this is a new installation.
I think it will be in your best interest to cancel the service.