Telkom is shutting down copper, but there is good news

pieterj

Telkom is shutting down copper, but there is good news

Telkom is currently shutting down its copper network which has a direct impact on services like ADSL, VDSL, fax, and alarm systems.

The company is already migrating ADSL and VDSL subscribers to its fibre and LTE networks, but that still leaves other systems which rely on copper vulnerable.
Good news? Line was stolen 27/08/2019, reported 28th. Was informed on 29th not replacing said cable putting me on LTE, its now 44 days and counting! Still no modem or sim, after I contacted 10213 about 15+ times. Their help desk is only an answering desk. This occurred in Fynnlands Bluff area KZN. Telkom is absolutely and should just die.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
A couple of years ago that would've been fine, but now I'm hitting 500 to 600 gigs a month easy with 50mb fibre.
Same here, NetFlix, YouTube games take their toll ... , the Wife, 2 children, and myself ...

Jings

Honorary Master
Going to have to sell up and move. No fibre nor LTE coverage in the area. Well done, Telkom.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
View attachment 722796
Grandstream ATA + FreshPhone + Number Port does a good job.
HT801 is about R560.
HT802 is about R610.
No monthly fees.
Disclaimer .. I don't have a fax machine so don't really care but BUT ... why should people be forced to spend money when they have a perfectly functioning system just because Telkom decides to screw everyone over with this dick move?

Ditto for moving to a WISP .... why must I pay a hefty installation fee for a suspect connection (I'm in a poor coverage area) when I have a really good ADSL line that in the last 3 years has given me a problem exactly once.

When companies do this shite there is never an offer to customers that involves NO extra cost to them - even if Telkom do get coverage / fibre / something going out here, the costs are all more than I'm paying now. Every single offer / option I've seen is less service for more money. How is that right?

We Love Bass

Disclaimer .. I don't have a fax machine so don't really care but BUT ... why should people be forced to spend money when they have a perfectly functioning system just because Telkom decides to screw everyone over with this dick move?
Copper theft

Dan C

Honorary Master

Ditto for moving to a WISP .... why must I pay a hefty installation fee for a suspect connection (I'm in a poor coverage area) when I have a really good ADSL line that in the last 3 years has given me a problem exactly once.

When companies do this shite there is never an offer to customers that involves NO extra cost to them - even if Telkom do get coverage / fibre / something going out here, the costs are all more than I'm paying now. Every single offer / option I've seen is less service for more money. How is that right?
Because like any company out there, you cannot continue to run a product at a loss.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Because like any company out there, you cannot continue to run a product at a loss.
read my lips - NOT MY PROBLEM! I contracted to utilize a service at a certain cost per month. I expect to continue to receive that same service, or an equivalent one at the same price if the company unilaterally decides to change the terms in any way.

Companies in South Africa seem to think they can do whatever the hell they want with impunity. If I owe Telkom / Eskom / whoever money my service gets shut off and there are interest fees and this and that and threats etc. If they owe me money they pay whenever they damn well feel like with no interest owing for delayed payment etc. It constantly feels like a highly abusive one-sided relationship.

Dan C

Honorary Master
read my lips - NOT MY PROBLEM! I contracted to utilize a service at a certain cost per month. I expect to continue to receive that same service, or an equivalent one at the same price if the company unilaterally decides to change the terms in any way.

Companies in South Africa seem to think they can do whatever the hell they want with impunity. If I owe Telkom / Eskom / whoever money my service gets shut off and there are interest fees and this and that and threats etc. If they owe me money they pay whenever they damn well feel like with no interest owing for delayed payment etc. It constantly feels like a highly abusive one-sided relationship.
It is your problem now darling.

system32

Expert Member

Just highlighting options - that are often cheaper and better than what Telkom offer.

Telkom is not forced to provide you with a loss making service despite what you may think.

system32

Expert Member
For as long as there is a contract between us - yes they do.
Contract has a term, once the term is over they can stop the service.
Also check T&C - pretty sure it states "Best Effort" and "Up To" in relation to ADSL.
If the copper gets stolen, there is nothing that forces them to replace it.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Contract has a term, once the term is over they can stop the service.
Also check T&C - pretty sure it states "Best Effort" and "Up To" in relation to ADSL.
If the copper gets stolen, there is nothing that forces them to replace it.
Like I said - one sided abusive relationship where they get to do as they like and we who pay, must just suck it up. #NotRight

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Finally manage check my usage it was under home accounts, on the original telephone number.

Seems it is not really uncapped, actually 10tb lol

neyirK

Now is the time to get rid of telkom's monopoly. Switch to every other service provider. Their customer service is trash and their technicians leave so much to be desired

Thor

Honorary Master
Now is the time to get rid of telkom's monopoly. Switch to every other service provider. Their customer service is trash and their technicians leave so much to be desired
Telkom is the only LTE player in the market so no competition and a monopoly it will remain.

Nemoneiros

Finally manage check my usage it was under home accounts, on the original telephone number.

Seems it is not really uncapped, actually 10tb lol
one packet of smarties for phone number?

021 987 xxxx

But that was the original which changed