Telkom LIT Android media box - Tips/Tricks/Apps thread

deesef

Expert Member
I received this mail from Telkom today;

Does this refer to the Lit box? The message says that the Telkom set-top box will no longer receive Netflix, but streaming devices will.

The Lit box is the only Telkom "set top box"that I know of, but it is also a streaming box...
971962a12c3234599b26c9da3433fadc.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Yuu

Voodoo

Does this refer to the Lit box? The message says that the Telkom set-top box will no longer receive Netflix, but streaming devices will.

The Lit box is the only Telkom "set top box"that I know of, but it is also a streaming box...
I also received this and I do think it refers to the lit box. Should have gotten the mi box.

deesef

Expert Member
I also received this and I do think it refers to the lit box. Should have gotten the mi box.
I got mine free with a fibre installation. It's just a bit weird that a device can become "uncertified" after a number of years

Yuu

Executive Member
I've played 180GB copy of lord of the rings and it handled it just fine, tested it both via usb and jellyfin server with no transcoding or remuxing. The bigger issue on the litt box is the audio format your media file is using. It has been previously discussed in this thread. AC3/AAC I can't remember what the issue was @Dolby should know.
Regarding the audio issue. This is the one thing that annoyed me to no end. We have an AV Receiver that can decode DTS-HD/MA but no ATMOS. It [LIT Box] never liked formats with ATMOS or other bundled audio packs. I switched over to the Shield TV 2017 last year and it just works. You pop ANY HD audio format and bam, it works. My dad is happier than anything and I paid good money so no regrets. When the R/$ gets better and the 2019 version drops in price, won't mind replacing it just for the upscaling and Dolby Vision support. Sadly these units don't support Youtube HDR which is so silly. Nvidia needs a good beating on the behind :/.

I do think for our case the hardware is overkill because we don't use the gaming function but for what it does, it is quite impressive. I haven't kept up with anything happening to the news boxes coming out, if a company can match the performance of the Shield TV but keep the price down, you have a winner.

On another topic, our LIT box A011 [i'll edit later with correct one] updated but is still on the AndroidTV 9.x.x so I will check if Netflix works. It is abit annoying as you lose all apps and have to setup things again. Can anyone else confirm theirs updated aswell?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
I got mine free with a fibre installation. It's just a bit weird that a device can become "uncertified" after a number of years

I doudt it will become uncertified, desides why would Netflix want to loose a fair number of customers.

Dolby

Honorary Master
This is the one thing that annoyed me to no end. We have an AV Receiver that can decode DTS-HD/MA but no ATMOS. It [LIT Box] never liked formats with ATMOS or other bundled audio packs. I switched over to the Shield TV 2017 last year and it just works. You pop ANY HD audio format and bam, it works.

In fairness, the Shield can't be compared to the LIT. It's competition really is Android boxes in the R1,000 to R1,500 range. Android boxes in that range are also going to be iffy with HD Audio support.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I doudt it will become uncertified, desides why would Netflix want to loose a fair number of customers.
Judging by the message, yes it'll become a non Netflix certified box. It'll still be Google certified though, but no longer will Netflix work.

Netflix has 200+ million subscribers. We are a drop in a big, big ocean. Plus, they probably won't lose those subscribers : they'll purchase another device that can play Netflix

deesef

Expert Member
Judging by the message, yes it'll become a non Netflix certified box. It'll still be Google certified though, but no longer will Netflix work.

Netflix has 200+ million subscribers. We are a drop in a big, big ocean. Plus, they probably won't lose those subscribers : they'll purchase another device that can play Netflix
They will probably demand that we remove the NETFLIX button on the remote and ship it to them

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

Does not make sense, if they where still selling boxes, yes, but yeah, this is Telkom and South Africa.

Side loading Netflix could be an option.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member

Lol it's a sign. I just lost my LIT box's remote and have been struggling using the Android TV app from Google to control it.

This frustrates the heck out of me, because a couple years ago I got that custom Roku box from a local content provider, and when their deal with Roku expired soon afterwards it was also turned into a paperweight by Roku (difference being to the Netflix situation was that NOTHING worked anymore).

This isn't a bad argument in favour of DStv, where their ancient decoders still work, no issue.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Does not make sense, if they where still selling boxes, yes, but yeah, this is Telkom and South Africa.

Side loading Netflix could be an option.
Yea - that's possible, but a horrible experience.

Usually sideloading is the mobile version and limited in, well, everything

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Lol it's a sign. I just lost my LIT box's remote and have been struggling using the Android TV app from Google to control it.

This frustrates the heck out of me, because a couple years ago I got that custom Roku box from a local content provider, and when their deal with Roku expired soon afterwards it was also turned into a paperweight by Roku (difference being to the Netflix situation was that NOTHING worked anymore).

This isn't a bad argument in favour of DStv, where their ancient decoders still work, no issue.

My LIT box is delegated to streaming content for Sunday school class. Netflix is one of the sources.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Yea - that's possible, but a horrible experience.

Usually sideloading is the mobile version and limited in, well, everything

Besides I doudt they will delete the app from existing boxes, just will not be able to reinstall it.

Last edited:

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

DSTV, are going to loose access to a whole lot of content as the owners there of start streaming services of their own. Started happening already. Snowball effect as streaming gains momentum.

Dolby

Honorary Master

Bluetooth remote?

You can get the Ematic remote