Telkom LIT Android media box - Tips/Tricks/Apps thread

greenbean32

A07 No voice search, comes with a Bluetooth dongle.
We actually using a Rii i25 with it.

Make it 850 and I will throw in the Rii

AdrianH

Expert Member
Confirmed, Netflix on my LITs are borked, even in UK. Oh well, got around 4 years out of them.

I already replaced one with Chromecast with Google TV, time to buy a 2nd one.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
From where did you buy the Ematics?
Takealot.

I said never telkom again after I got fibre. Now I mean no telkom anything ever anywhere near me.

This e-waste player is so useless it can't even be put to good use - BOINC won't let me run World Community Grid on it because "the battery is too hot"

IMG_20211001_234658.jpg

Last edited:

deesef

Expert Member
Takealot.

I said never telkom again after I got fibre. Now I mean no telkom anything ever anywhere near me.
Somehow I think that this may be Netflix greed. It seems like a streaming devices provider must continue to pay Netflix, to allow customers who bought the device years ago to continue using Netflix. Each device has a Netflix activation number in its settings. It seems like Netflix has disabled streaming to all the devices signed to the Lit Box range of numbers.

If I was Telkom, I would also not want to continue paying Netflix year in and year out, for a box that is firstly discontinued and secondly is bringing zero income to Telkom.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Somehow I think that this may be Netflix greed. It seems like a streaming devices provider must continue to pay Netflix, to allow customers who bought the device years ago to continue using Netflix. Each device has a Netflix activation number in its settings. It seems like Netflix has disabled streaming to all the devices signed to the Lit Box range of numbers.

If I was Telkom, I would also not want to continue paying Netflix year in and year out, for a box that is firstly discontinued and secondly is bringing zero income to Telkom.
Sux for me, we only had youtube, Streamax and Kodi (running off a local SMB share that I pirate to) until a few months ago. Then I got Netflix for a month and my wife and the kid was hooked.

We only keep Showmax for "Kyk wie praat" and as luck would have it, today they did not release the episode.

I think soon I'll ditch everything local/

SeRpEnT

Executive Member

Yeah im sure it's some kind of licencing fee involved. Googled it but no results. Could be hush hush.

In the market for a new box but unsure whether to go for the more powerful but lesser known Mediabox Maverick or Ematic or Mibox who both has worldwide following. The Mediabox is a bit risky in my opinion...dont want ro buy one just to go through all this **** again a year or so from now when the company sells too little and stop paying licencing fees...

AdrianH

Expert Member
Yeah im sure it's some kind of licencing fee involved. Googled it but no results. Could be hush hush.

In the market for a new box but unsure whether to go for the more powerful but lesser known Mediabox Maverick or Ematic or Mibox who both has worldwide following. The Mediabox is a bit risky in my opinion...dont want ro buy one just to go through all this **** again a year or so from now when the company sells too little and stop paying licencing fees...

Just get a Chromecast with Google TV

joshuatree

Expert Member
Just get a Chromecast with Google TV
Or the soon to be released refreshed Xiaomi Mi TV Stick - more powerful than the Chromecast with Google TV according to leaked reports.

Xiaomi might even drop the Mi Box maybe, or otherwise the Mi Box must be due for a refresh as well.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Or the soon to be released refreshed Xiaomi Mi TV Stick - more powerful than the Chromecast with Google TV according to leaked reports.

Xiaomi might even drop the Mi Box maybe, or otherwise the Mi Box must be due for a refresh as well.

Well, I am hoping the Mi-Box will get a refresh, that is decent.

For a replacement, I am looking at the Amazon Fire TV 4K MAX, Google Chromecast with Google TV, or an Emantic.

The Mi-Stick may be a viable option, but only time will tell.

deesef

Expert Member

I bought the Mediabox Maverick a few months back, moving the Lit box to a less-used TV. It is significantly faster than the older Gen Ematic and Mibox units. It has received 2 minor system/security updates in about 3 months.

If it lasts a few years, then I'll be happy.

Ryan Innes

Just got this from Telkom via their social team, note the bit about a Takealot voucher.

Wonder what the qualifying criteria is. Screenshot_20211002_085517_com.facebook.orca.jpg