Telkom LIT Android media box - Tips/Tricks/Apps thread

Xiphos

Not sure if the rom will work, the issue when loading a non OEM rom will most probably result in the device losing its Google certification and dstv now will stop working and probably amazon prime to.

Jettafreak

Not sure if the rom will work, the issue when loading a non OEM rom will most probably result in the device losing its Google certification and dstv now will stop working and probably amazon prime to.
Never really used dstv now, so not worried about that.

Xiphos

Google Certification is a thing.
Yes for ATV os devices. Most non Google certified OTT boxes make use of a modified mobile version of Android with a ATV boot loader.

It's only recently people managed to build ATV roms, but because they are not Google certified they don't have DRM and most reputable video streaming applications looks for DRM in order to try and prevent piracy.

A few years back we wanted to market our own OTT box and had to apply for Google certification before we could have access to the ATV dev kit. This registration process is tedious and timely and you send them your device so they can test it unless the already know the Manufacturer.

After that's done then you have to jump through some serious hoops to get your device certified by Netflix and apply for a lisence with them.

Thats the main reason why apps like; unmodified dstv now and Netflix wont work on non Google certified devices and most ATV apps is not available through the playstore and has to be side loaded.

Last edited:

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Not available here? Had a vanilla Chromecast before Litbox and it suck. Too much pt doing everything via phone. But yah the remote can work.
It's available from Incredible Connection and Takealot. I've got a Gen3 chromecast that I won here - I use it when I travel but that's about it.

Xiphos

Would this work on the Litbox A06 ?
I have never tried it on a lit box. I'v tried installing on a MXQ Pro 4k with no success couldn't find a rom that works all stuck on splash screen. I'm trying now on a A95x Nextbox. If I can get it to work I might want to try it on a Lit but with my luck chances are good I'll brick it .

The other problem is if you flash that rom on the Lit and it doesn't work we don't have stock roms for the Lit to revert it back to factory FW and then you defiantly stuck with a paperweight.

nad_isa

me like a mamparra in my own world didnt know this went down with telkom and netflix. struggling all week coz the litbox cant connect to netflix - ai...im late to the party and only found this out now.. threadwatching for another solution besides the kodi one else to the scrap heep me litbox shall go. was good while it lasted.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
me like a mamparra in my own world didnt know this went down with telkom and netflix. struggling all week coz the litbox cant connect to netflix - ai...im late to the party and only found this out now.. threadwatching for another solution besides the kodi one else to the scrap heep me litbox shall go. was good while it lasted.

Well I have had mine for 3-4 years, and have a Shield incoming, so yeah ... , not a train smash, but does not help me to hand it on to my Son.

nad_isa

Well I have had mine for 3-4 years, and have a Shield incoming, so yeah ... , not a train smash, but does not help me to hand it on to my Son.
ive had mine for about 2-3 years with NO issues whats so ever. was happy with it. but yeh the wife and kid watches netflix so will have to come up with something. no mula for new box at the mo. i just bought a mi stick for the spare tv, bit slow and not full HD but okay for the price.

Gudnews

Expert Member
I'll do what the other fella was too uncultured not do and congratulate you on your Shield purchase.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
ive had mine for about 2-3 years with NO issues whats so ever. was happy with it. but yeh the wife and kid watches netflix so will have to come up with something. no mula for new box at the mo. i just bought a mi stick for the spare tv, bit slow and not full HD but okay for the price.

Well, not a issue for me, as I had already saved for the Shield, and ordered it.

But also, if I had not done so, I might also not have had sufficient funds to just go out and get a replacement. But seeing as I cannot now pass it onto my Son, who needs it for Netflix, I will start making provision to aquire another box.