Telkom LIT Android media box - Tips/Tricks/Apps thread

Xiphos

It looks just like any other Google certified OTT box just with dstv branding on it and again like lit it's an operator agreement netflix lisence, what if dstv decides to oh well we don't need Netflix anymore let's just don't renew the lisence.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
It looks just like any other Google certified OTT box just with dstv branding on it and again like lit it's an operator agreement netflix lisence, what if dstv decides to oh well we don't need Netflix anymore let's just don't renew the lisence.

Eina!! then same story all over again ... , would rather buy a Google Chromecast with Google TV device, or a Emantic Box, vendors neutral, so to say.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Eina!! then same story all over again ... , would rather buy a Google Chromecast with Google TV device, or a Emantic Box, vendors neutral, so to say.
Seems like mediabox maverick is the one to go for, it also has prime media button and better cpu specs and gig lan. I wonder if this one can play remuxes?

SeRpEnT

Executive Member
Seems like mediabox maverick is the one to go for, it also has prime media button and better cpu specs and gig lan. I wonder if this one can play remuxes?
Also considering buying one. What worries me however is that the Maverick box and manufacturer are not that well known outside RSA. I don't see much Google results for it.
Once their sales drop they might also drop their Netflix license. This is something they need to pay Netflix for right?

Once bitten twice shy. Have no idea what to buy next... R1000+ is a lot of money to drop for something that might have it's Netflix cut off in the future... I have two flippen Litboxes at home which has just dropped a lot in value and is almost useless now.

Mibox are getting too old. Not sure how much longer their Netflix licence will continue either..
Ematic box is newer, but sales can also drop off in the near future and can I trust them to continue with THEIR licencing with Netflix @Nology ?

wingnut771

Honorary Master
Also considering buying one. What worries me however is that the Maverick box and manufacturer are not that well known outside RSA. I don't see much Google results for it.
Once their sales drop they might also drop their Netflix license. This is something they need to pay Netflix for right?

Once bitten twice shy. Have no idea what to buy next... R1000+ is a lot of money to drop for something that might have it's Netflix cut off in the future... I have two flippen Litboxes at home which has just dropped a lot in value and is almost useless now.

Mibox are getting too old. Not sure how much longer their Netflix licence will continue either..
Ematic box is newer, but sales can also drop off in the near future and can I trust them to continue with THEIR licencing with Netflix @Nology ?
Well, I've got an ematic and it just works no issues. I would take what telkom say with a pinch of salt. I don't see netflix all of a sudden not working on non branded boxes, I think there would be a netflix revolt/boycot, and could picture people running classes on how to setup kodi, like how I do it. Netflix is for my technology challenged father as I've given up trying to teach him to use seren.

killerbyte

Expert Member

The Netflix license is with the manufacturer, not with Nology. That manufacturer makes and sells Android TV boxes for markets all over the world.
I hope that clears up any doubt or concern.

Xiphos

Are you saying netflix doesn't work on the Ematic? I have to be honest, I haven't used to box since moving house in July.
Sory to jump in here Netflix works with the Maverick and Ematic even if they are made by the same company.
You get 2 diferent types of Netflix lisencing
1 is operator agreement that's where the boxes are branded for a operator and is usually bound by lisence renewals

2 is The manufacturers lisence agreement and that last until the device is end of life. This lisence is allot more expensive but the manufacturer of sets the cost over the ammount of devices sold. Netflix lisence requirement states to qualify and obtain the lisence you have to build more than 10k devices.

Xiphos

Last edited:

wingnut771

Honorary Master
A friend who has recently gotten a Mediabox Maverick, is not happy with it, so not sure about, it.
In what way? My ematic is nice and responsive, nice remote that you don't have to have line of sight, plays kodi/netflix/dstvnow. What more does one want?