Telkom LIT TV Android media player – Impressive out of the box

techead

Honorary Master
Hi Jan, and thank you for the article.

I'd like to point out a few things, if I may, since getting my hands on the LIT box and also being the OP of the LIT "tips and tricks" thread on MyBB forum.

The device is solid in terms of hardware, but software, this device was launched prematurely. All you need to do is go through the bugs and issues reported, not to mention the fact that previously advertised "launched with" applications are either not there (Netflix) or not working as they should (DSTV Now).

Head over to https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...LIT-Android-media-box-Tips-Tricks-Apps-thread to see what I am referring to.

A lot of people bought this box with the intention to use it with Netflix and/or DSTV Now based on what was previously advertised. Telkom's response has been, "sorry, it's not working yet"

Then the question must be asked why launch it if it was not ready?

Damac10

Hi Jan, and thank you for the article.

I'd like to point out a few things, if I may, since getting my hands on the LIT box and also being the OP of the LIT "tips and tricks" thread on MyBB forum.

The device is solid in terms of hardware, but software, this device was launched prematurely. All you need to do is go through the bugs and issues reported, not to mention the fact that previously advertised "launched with" applications are either not there (Netflix) or not working as they should (DSTV Now).

Head over to https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showth...LIT-Android-media-box-Tips-Tricks-Apps-thread to see what I am referring to.

A lot of people bought this box with the intention to use it with Netflix and/or DSTV Now based on what was previously advertised. Telkom's response has been, "sorry, it's not working yet"

Then the question must be asked why launch it if it was not ready?
Between this article and the disingenuous article about Mi Box costing R968 ( wheres customs duty and most peopIe use aramex which is not free don't know about accuracy of mybroadband articles

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
I'm more interested in the zero rated services they advertised but can't find any info on it.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I'm almost sure I got YouTube 4K videos

@ Jan - what process did you use?

I'm at the office now, but I'm pretty sure on the YouTube app I could select Options / Stats for Nerds and then see both current / max resolution?

techead

Honorary Master
I'm almost sure I got YouTube 4K videos

@ Jan - what process did you use?

I'm at the office now, but I'm pretty sure on the YouTube app I could select Options / Stats for Nerds and then see both current / max resolution?
Yeah, I just tested and under stats for nerds mine is coming through at 1440p

So not quite sure where they get the 1080p max res from....

Dolby

Honorary Master
Yeah, I just tested and under stats for nerds mine is coming through at 1440p

So not quite sure where they get the 1080p max res from....
Yup

And Plex streamed UHD 60fps content either. That should be noted under 4K in the article :)

http://4kmedia.org/lg-chess-hdr-demo

Resolution : 3840 x 2160
File size : 842 MB
Duration : 00:01:53
Format : MP4
Codec : HEVC
Overall bit rate : 62 Mb/s
Bit depth : 10 bits
Frame rate : 60 fps

Daruk

Honorary Master
Let me guess... they didn't have any hassle getting ICASA approval for their box :rolleyes:

techead

Honorary Master
Yup

And Plex streamed UHD 60fps content either. That should be noted under 4K in the article :)

http://4kmedia.org/lg-chess-hdr-demo

Resolution : 3840 x 2160
File size : 842 MB
Duration : 00:01:53
Format : MP4
Codec : HEVC
Overall bit rate : 62 Mb/s
Bit depth : 10 bits
Frame rate : 60 fps
Have you tried to play that file on your LIT ? Via network/usb/local? What player did you use and were you satisfied with the playback?

Stillie

Expert Member
do u have to have a telkom account to be able to buy this device? I dont have a telkom account, i would like the device how ever? Can i just walk into a shop and pay the 1000/ the monthly fee without having telkom services?

Sumen

Expert Member
do u have to have a telkom account to be able to buy this device? I dont have a telkom account, i would like the device how ever? Can i just walk into a shop and pay the 1000/ the monthly fee without having telkom services?
You don't have to but some guys on the forum said that you must go to Telkom direct store and not a franchise

leonb

My advise would be to stay away from this box.

Too much of a hassle to use currently. I'm not impressed.

Sumen

Expert Member
I think Telkom has tinkered a little with Android TV , that's why you guys are having problems

R4ziel

Expert Member
My advise would be to stay away from this box.

Too much of a hassle to use currently. I'm not impressed.
I don't know hey, mine has been performing pretty well since I got it early yesterday, no hassles at all for me and it was setup to do Kodi and Netflix in minutes, although I needed to update the Netflix app as I used the wrong one.

But if loading the apps is too much hassle then that's something else all together

Dolby

Honorary Master
Have you tried to play that file on your LIT ? Via network/usb/local? What player did you use and were you satisfied with the playback?
Yup - on my LIT via Plex and USB storage.

I doubt the Wifi / Ethernet will be fast enough to stream it - so I went USB ; but the hardware can do it for sure. I was very happy with the playback

SeRpEnT

Expert Member
Telkom LIT TV Android media player – Impressive out of the box

Telkom has launched an Android TV media player as part of its new LIT service, which provides users with free music and media streaming.
@Jan - I would like the following queries to be addressed - and i'm sure Mybroadband will be able to get answers much easier than us normal folk:

1. Confirm payment options at the various Telkom shops. At some shops you cannot buy this cash, at others you can. Please explain. Also R49 a month payment option is wrong? My first invoice arrived and it's R45 a month (for 24 months)
2. Confirm whether existing Telkom customers are eligible for a free device if they should upgrade to a 4MB uncapped option (and not the faster options as per the article) - as per this response from a forumite on the Lit thread:
I just got my latest invoice and this is what they offer for someone who is on a 4meg line uncapped:
View attachment 469547
3. The article makes mention that DSTV is a content partner. Yet the DSTV app is not installed on the device and needs to be sideloaded. What gives?
4. The original MyBroadband article made mention of voice search capabilities - but there is no sign of this on the shipped version.
5. I'm sure other forumites like Techhead can add several more queries that we have for Telkom to answer.

Last edited: