Telkom LTE-Advanced versus fibre-to-the-home – which is the better deal?

Sl8er

Executive Member
Telkom LTE-Advanced vs fibre-to-the-home – which is the better deal?

Of the two, obviously the FTTH. (Didn't even have to read the article.)

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Can LTE compete because it is "fixed mobile," i.e. the footprint is relatively small and therefore the infrastructure cost is low?

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
My concern is latency, jitter etc is going to be a dog show on the wireless. In which case it will never be a replacement for fiber.

furpile

Expert Member
An article comparing the two services without any test data? Won't this go the same way as 3G/LTE, as soon as there are more subscribers using the same tower your connection speed will drop?

The_MAC

Executive Member
An article comparing the two services without any test data? Won't this go the same way as 3G/LTE, as soon as there are more subscribers using the same tower your connection speed will drop?
As with both technologies, the real bottleneck is the transmission i.e. the pipe feeding the customers. You can even get fibre in your neighbourhood by another service provider, but if they don't have the backhaul capacity to cater for the demand and contention, neither of the 2 technologies will be an amazing experience.

Telkom definitely has the advantage from a transmission perspective, but deploying the services is another thing.

Swa

Honorary Master
Obviously it's fibre if the question is value for money. Wireless is still too expensive with too small caps.

As with both technologies, the real bottleneck is the transmission i.e. the pipe feeding the customers. You can even get fibre in your neighbourhood by another service provider, but if they don't have the backhaul capacity to cater for the demand and contention, neither of the 2 technologies will be an amazing experience.

Telkom definitely has the advantage from a transmission perspective, but deploying the services is another thing.
Not quite. With fibre you can increase the capacity of the backhaul if it can't cope with the demand of the last mile. With wireless a tower can only do so much and it makes no sense to upgrade the backhaul beyond that.

The_MAC

Executive Member
Not quite. With fibre you can increase the capacity of the backhaul if it can't cope with the demand of the last mile. With wireless a tower can only do so much and it makes no sense to upgrade the backhaul beyond that.
You can also upgrade a tower, there are many interventions from an RF perspective that can be introduced. Yes, fibre is more "robust" in that regard, but my point was that if you are congesting on backhaul, regardless of which technology you use for access, the quality of service will be poor. Not to mention all the other bottlenecks further down the line and beyond the access network i.e. Internet Breakout

CuppaJoe

Impressive speed on LTE at Midstream Estates today.

Telkom LTE ME..jpg

Anyone knows if this is LTE or LTE-A? Will the network indicator change to LTE-A?

Screenshot from iPhone 6.

Last edited:

furpile

Expert Member
Impressive speed on LTE at Midstream Estates today.

Anyone knows if this is LTE or LTE-A? Will the network indicator change to LTE-A?

Screenshot from iPhone 6.
That is impressive for LTE. The problem is that you are basically getting 50 Mbps on a 150 Mbps connection. If you had a 100 Mbps fibre connection you should get 100 Mbps download speed all the time.

Plus you think it is impressive now, when you get a third of your download speed. If another hundred people around you switch to LTE what will you get then?

This is what should have been included in the article IMO.

CuppaJoe

If you had a 100 Mbps fibre connection you should get 100 Mbps download speed all the time.
Will that still be the case if 32 users are connected to the same link? As I understand it, most SA fibre providers make use of GPON, which splits the signal between the users.

Swa

Honorary Master
Will that still be the case if 32 users are connected to the same link? As I understand it, most SA fibre providers make use of GPON, which splits the signal between the users.
Nope but fibre has something going for it that you can upgrade the backhaul to be more accommodating of the demand. Wireless not the same. If the technology can only handle xMbps then as soon as others are using it your speed drops. Can have more transmitters/antennas like 3 or so but they all make use of the same spectrum still. That is where the limit lies which you can't get past. So you can have like 150Mbps for 1 connection or 450Mbps in total.

That's like sharing 3 fibre links between a whole community. As soon as more than 3 people use it they'll affect each other with not much you can do about it.

CuppaJoe

I sincerely hope this tech will see the light of day soon.

[video=youtube;Z6NEnLvhFCk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6NEnLvhFCk[/video]