Telkom LTE constantly changing public IP addresses

Maik

Just got out of a very frustrating chat with Telkom over something which has cropped up today on my Uncapped LTE and wondering if there's anybody else out there with Telkom's Uncapped LTE who has noticed the same thing.

So what I've noticed is that my public IP address changes every few seconds. The LTE connection doesn't drop but it just changes - google "what's my IP and refresh constantly and you literally watch it change every few seconds. It's always 197.229.x.x with those last two octets changing. I've never experienced this before in the +2 years I've had LTE, so when I got in contact with Telkom the end result of a painful chat-where I had to explain that I wasn't looking for a static IP address, but that dynamic addressing shouldn't work this way-was that "every time you connect to the internet the IP address changes", which was apparently the response from two of the back office technical guys.

This can't be correct. There are consumer services which doesn't necessarily require a static address, but does require that your address not change during a single connection session. Services like smartDNS, which for me no longer works because of this.

This started from today for me. Has anybody else run into the same or similar issues recently on their Uncapped LTE?

ITCynic

Expert Member
I have the same issue on my prepaid LTE.

Cannot keep access to my Cpanel on domains.co.za ; keeps giving errors.

The tech support at domains.co.za told me Telkom are having this issue (ip address changing every few seconds) with LTE in Cape Town at the moment.

I see the ip address on my LTE router showing 100.x.x.x series but as the poster above; refreshing a "whats my ip" site and it keeps changing in the 197.228.x.x range.

I suspect they have a problem with their "Carrier Grade NAT" system they are using.

I wonder if these will affect banking sites when IP addresses keep changing whilst logged in to internet banking.

Tech support at domains.co.za suggested using a VPN for the time being.

Anybody care to suggest a free VPN service I could use with a B315s-936 LTE router till Telkom resolves this issue ?

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
Telkom is in the process of switching to the CGN address space 100.64.0.0/10 (in human friendly notation it is a range between 100.64.0.0 and 100.127.x.x). See other thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/952185-Ports-blocked-no-VPN-possible

From the consumer point of view it is essentially the same as a private space Class A, B or C (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16), but no home router will default its IP address to the CGN range, avoiding IP conflicts.

Speaking between us, IETF decision aimed to deplete IPv4 address space much quicker, so the transition to iPv6 comes quicker, it is what they do want...

Tech support at domains.co.za suggested using a VPN for the time being.

Anybody care to suggest a free VPN service I could use with a B315s-936 LTE router till Telkom resolves this issue ?
VPN won't work when IP is changing every few seconds, there is something terrible wrong at Telkom.

Last edited:

ITCynic

Expert Member
Telkom is in the process of switching to the CGN address space 100.64.0.0/10 (in human friendly notation it is a range between 100.64.0.0 and 100.127.x.x). See other thread: https://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/952185-Ports-blocked-no-VPN-possible

From the consumer point of view it is essentially the same as a private space Class A, B or C (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16), but no home router will default its IP address to the CGN range, avoiding IP conflicts.

Speaking between us, IETF decision aimed to deplete IPv4 address space much quicker, so the transition to iPv6 comes quicker, it is what they do want...

VPN won't work when IP is changing every few seconds, there is something terrible wrong at Telkom.
Thanks for the info, very informative, much appreciated.

Currently my router displays a WAN address of 100.67.xx.xx which falls withing that range.
Is that the reason I am having issues with an IP changing every few seconds ?

Last edited:

sajunky

Honorary Master
Thanks for the info, very informative, much appreciated.

Currently my router displays a WAN address of 100.67.xx.xx which falls withing that range.
Is that the reason I am having issues with and IP changing every few seconds ?
A CGN IP is not a problem itself, incorrect NAT settings could be. Changing IP is a serious problem, perhaps related to the transition to the new IP, but a separate things.

ITCynic

Expert Member
A CGN IP is not a problem itself, incorrect NAT settings could be. Changing IP is a serious problem, perhaps related to the transition to the new IP, but a separate things.
Thanks for the reply. Will just have to wait and see what Telkom does to fix this, if anything.

Maik

Yeah, that's what I tried getting through to the Telkom support agent - that having the public address change every few seconds can't be correct operation. Apparently their technical guys don't feel that way and it's "normal" for IPs to change "every time you connect to the internet".

ITCynic

Expert Member

Hummercellc

Expert Member
I am still receiving Public IP's on two routers, one TM LTE and the other roaming,
Maybe KZN has not been switched over to CGN yet

bryanbotha

Hey Gents, need to jump in on this one.

I seem to have the same problem as above, a few clients of mine run on the telkom uncapped LTE, yesterday at 12:07 they all went "offline" in the sense that they stopped responded to any non standard ports - no rdp, VPN, exchange mail etc, from site you can browse the internet and such, but no mail hitting the exchange servers.

I did notice the IP addresses changing like mentioned above, so I hopped in my car and grabbed a Vodacom sim, installed it at a site and still the same problem, not able to get in on any ports.

Eventually as a last resort, I grabbed a MTN (afrihost) sim card, as well as a Dlink LTE router, and popped that in, and everything now works perfectly.

It seems to me like its the Huawei B315 routers that are giving a problem as well.

really frustrating as these clients are burning through prepaid data which costs a small fortune while I wait for telkom to sort their stuff out and see if I can replace LTE routers.

anyone else experienced the same?

PS: I have the telkom uncapped LTE and Huawei B315 router with me now, and im trying to do some port forwarding in the router and absolutely none of the ports I forward work (for incoming traffic)

tefago

You guys are legends. Just been having issues with Plex and noticed the ip address problem. Added custom profile as mentioned and voila. Could it also be that my performance has improved? Been terrible recently but now noticably better...

macnab69

INFO: USENET problems after recent B315 (LTE) upgrade

If your USENET provider keeps kicking you off for "Probable account sharing" it is because the modem changes its public IP address every few seconds.

In your browser go to http://homerouter.cpe/html/quicksetup.html
If you haven't changed it, login is admin admin
Select Dial-up -> Profile Management
Click on New Profile
Give the new profile a name (not important what it is)
Leave User name and Password blank
Select IPv4 & IPv6 for IP type
In APN type unrestricted
Click Apply
Switch the modem off and on.

Should solve the problem

seems like the unrestricted APN is giving trouble now too.
mail stops pushing through every 45 minutes or so, I keep needing to restart router to get it back online

FlashSA

Executive Member
seems like the unrestricted APN is giving trouble now too.
mail stops pushing through every 45 minutes or so, I keep needing to restart router to get it back online
I'm only seeing improvements my side. My Twitter timeline and video is loading instantly again like the old days. For the last 2 weeks using the normal INTERNET APN, there was been major lag issues....

I'm only seeing improvements my side. My Twitter timeline and video is loading instantly again like the old days. For the last 2 weeks using the normal INTERNET APN, there was been major lag issues....
was going crazy this morning for a few hours, been still since around 11am though.