Telkom LTE on Prepaid or Monthly: Is it Possible

johanhorak

Hi

As you know things change.

And I don't like contracts.

I have Telkom LTE coverage.

I have a LTE Modem I have never used for LTE.

We currently depend on copper adsl and it falls over regularly with Telkom taking 7 days or more to fix it's not fun.

I cannot get fiber - in two years maybe.

So LTE is the other option.

My question:

What do I still need to get Telkom LTE?

1) A Telkom LTE simcard for the modem or any Telkom Sim?

2) Prepaid data - anything specific I need to know?

3) Can I buy prepaid as you go or is there other pay as you go deals?

BTW: I have searched Google and this forum and it seems possible but need to know from the experts. :)

joppenheim

Telkom LTE without contract

Hi

As you know things change.

And I don't like contracts.

I have Telkom LTE coverage.

I have a LTE Modem I have never used for LTE.

We currently depend on copper adsl and it falls over regularly with Telkom taking 7 days or more to fix it's not fun.

I cannot get fiber - in two years maybe.

So LTE is the other option.

My question:

What do I still need to get Telkom LTE?

1) A Telkom LTE simcard for the modem or any Telkom Sim?

2) Prepaid data - anything specific I need to know?

3) Can I buy prepaid as you go or is there other pay as you go deals?

BTW: I have searched Google and this forum and it seems possible but need to know from the experts. :)

Hi johanhorak

I had exactly the same problem and I went with a 50Gb + 50Gb LTE package with Telkom.
It was difficult but this is what I know:
1) Telkom, when you sign up will give you an LTE sim and device
2) I went with a 50Gb package for R699 on a 24 month contract but I had the option of a month-to-month contract if I purchased the device up front (I think it was R1300). The R699 is a hard-capped package and conceptually a pre-paid package (the 24 month contract gives you the device for "free", the month to month is still R699). Not sure if you can get a month to month if you only take a SIM, but that should be the case!
3) Apparently you can buy pre-paid 3G/LTE but it is a lot more expensive (Telkom's LTE packages are by far cheaper than all other LTE packages from any other company).

Just a note: Its not easy to get due to incompetent staff. You have to walk into a store with relevant documentation and request the package (they can give it to you then and their, especially if you already have a land-line account).

Regards
Joe

johanhorak

Thanks Joe

Thanks for the answer. Appreciated.

What I read from you as that the contract is a lot cheaper given the data you get compared to the prepaid cost.

I will try the prepaid to see how well it works and then consider going to the contract.

Hi johanhorak

I had exactly the same problem and I went with a 50Gb + 50Gb LTE package with Telkom.
It was difficult but this is what I know:
1) Telkom, when you sign up will give you an LTE sim and device
2) I went with a 50Gb package for R699 on a 24 month contract but I had the option of a month-to-month contract if I purchased the device up front (I think it was R1300). The R699 is a hard-capped package and conceptually a pre-paid package (the 24 month contract gives you the device for "free", the month to month is still R699). Not sure if you can get a month to month if you only take a SIM, but that should be the case!
3) Apparently you can buy pre-paid 3G/LTE but it is a lot more expensive (Telkom's LTE packages are by far cheaper than all other LTE packages from any other company).

Just a note: Its not easy to get due to incompetent staff. You have to walk into a store with relevant documentation and request the package (they can give it to you then and their, especially if you already have a land-line account).

Regards
Joe