Telkom may face Competition Commision investigation over uncapped ADSL

MickeyD

RIP
This was so predictable.... I must find my post from about two years ago!

j4ck455

Executive Member
“I’m optimistic that they will find that [the price cut] is not enough,” Hershaw said.
And did the ComCom give any indication of how much time (years) might elapse before there is even a preliminary finding?

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
O lol

And public funds will be spent keeping the industry locked in because the ISPs don't want TI to function.

look I might be approaching the Comp Comm following the LLU hearings on the basis of the settlement agreement because of certain issues that Telkom's current attitude towards LLU resemble in my opinion contravenes the settlement agreement but really the purpose of the comp comm is to deal with behaviour prohibited under the relevant statutes. It is not there to help enterprises with little ingenuity try to beat up the strong kid.
On a fundamental level the entire notion of competition law is wrong BUT if one looks at the necessary dismantling stages of monopolies that arise because of state intervention the approach of a tribunal and appeals court and body of case law fares quite well - the ANCs moves to remove the SCA from jurisdiction over competition law however does not bode well.

O and one other thing for what it is worth is that I will not support (ie I will discontinue my support) for any ISP that follows the lead of a thoroughly dishonest man in trying to leverage an advantage in a deceptive manner that is actually detrimental to the consumer. Unfortunately I see Afrihost's name on the periphery of this which bothers me a lot.
Anybody who thinks Mr Throttle is trying to do anything other than **** them and Telkom over is a fool.

ponder

Honorary Master
This is BS, small kids are ganging up on the big kid to steal his lunch. Does not seem like these ISP actually want competition.

MickeyD

RIP
So... while us consumers want cheaper prices certain ISPs want to deny us that? Smells of greed...

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Now I am actually quite seriously going to have to budget in appearing at the LLU hearings ...

everybody must play by the rules and stop trying to cheat

MickeyD

RIP
Now I am actually quite seriously going to have to budget in appearing at the LLU hearings ...

everybody must play by the rules and stop trying to cheat
But why must the ISPs pay for something that the taxpayer built???? :D

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
But why must the ISPs pay for something that the taxpayer built???? :D
well they can refund the taxpayer ...

Prove that the taxpayer built the network and refund them by settling some of the liabilities SANRAL have made - Telkom should be used to bailing out government failures by now

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Mind you on the other hand did Telkom slice the SAIX price because that is wholesale?

Tux

Software Communist
telkom's answer to the investigation: .!..

Syphonx

Expert Member
Not surprised MWEB is complaining, I'm sure in their mind anyone who offers an unthrottled connection is a margin squeezer and should have the competiton commision set on them.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
telkom's answer to the investigation: .!..
unfortunately Telkom's answer is likely to be to simply not behave competitively at all - if they are going to have as much **** doing the right thing as doing evil then they will adopt a course that keeps the shareprice up even if it destroys their underlying value and holds broadband back.

This really is an issue where the consumer needs to tell the ISPs to not be uncompetive greedy bastards and to tackle actual issues.

Syphonx

Expert Member
Mind you on the other hand did Telkom slice the SAIX price because that is wholesale?
Could it be possible that TI was aware of Telkoms plan to cut IPC prices by 15% this year and factored that in when changing prices last year?

km2

Expert Member
What's the problem here? These ISPs have expressed their concern to the Competition Commission over a price cut that does not entirely make sense to them how Telkom Internet pulled it off, since all of these other companies which are in the same field and should have similar input costs are finding it nonsensical. They're NOT lodging a formal complaint, they're just asking the CC to have a cursory look to see if they're correctly maintaining their financial separation as required.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
Could it be possible that TI was aware of Telkoms plan to cut IPC prices by 15% this year and factored that in when changing prices last year?
Everybody was aware that IPC prices would be cut - its built into the Comp Comm settlement

More importantly the issue here isn't the IPC price cuts but rather Hershaw wanting Telkom to give an IPC price cut when it increases line speeds which is complete nonsense.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
What's the problem here? These ISPs have expressed their concern to the Competition Commission over a price cut that does not entirely make sense to them how Telkom Internet pulled it off, since all of these other companies which are in the same field and should have similar input costs are finding it nonsensical. They're NOT lodging a formal complaint, they're just asking the CC to have a cursory look to see if they're correctly maintaining their financial separation as required.
The asked for a look to be had on the 17th - that is fine and well - but when you consider that all of the data is available through the regulatory information reporting it is largely redundant. Add to that the fact that there is a dispute resolution procedure in the settlement agreement (busy trying to get my hands on it) and the threat is not so veiled. TG will shaft TI or Hershaw and the boys will make life difficult, if they go that route whichever ISPs go with it will loose my support.

And for what its worth it seems the consumer boycott on MWEB for their throttling nonsense has been far more successful than I thought. So I do believe ISPs will think carefully before adopting a course of action that could lead to voting with a wallet.

markings

Expert Member
Nobody presents accurate costs with which we could come to our own conclusions whether the complaint is justified or not.