• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

Telkom Mega100WR2 - International and Local Traffic Splitting

milomak

Honorary Master
The method listed below will work with Linux or Windows. Thanks to Broadcom for providing a non-OS specific method.

The most difficult part is getting your routes in a file in the form
Code:
route static-add <ip address> <netmask route> <local gateway> metric 0
So that is for example, route static-add 196.14.80.0 255.255.255.0 196.209.48.1 metric 0

Reset you router by pressing the reset button at the back till the Power LED turns red.

Web Interface
1.Enter the web interface by pointing your router to 10.0.0.2. The default user and password (admin:admin)
2.Advanced --> WAN --> quickstart -> Delete.
3.Save the settings and reboot the router.
4.When it starts up again (after logging in), it will start you through the 'quickstart wizard'.
5.I clicked on the Advanced tab (ie I did not follow the wizard).
6.WAN --> New Connection.
7.Importantly, I setup the connection as quickstart. I found through experience that the router seems to need a quickstart profile.
8.quickstart is the international connection (ppp0). Set Sharing to Enable and VPI and VCI as 8 and 35 respectively. Enter login details. Everything else you can leave.
9.Apply, Save Settings.
10.WAN --> New Connection
11.Give the connection a name. Since it is the local one I called mine local. This is ppp1.
12.Enable Sharing. Set PVC to 8:35. Untick Default Gateway. Also enter login details of your local account.
13.Apply. Save Settings. Connect. Apply. Save Settings. Reboot Router. (The reboot part possibly overdo I suspect but hey).
14.Your router is now ready to take instructions as to how to split traffic.

Command Line Interface
1.Start up your OS command line application.
2.Enter telnet 10.0.0.2 then press Enter.
3.Enter root, then Enter.
4.Enter <your router's password>, then Enter.
5.Enter enable, then Enter.
6.Enter admin, then Enter.
7.Enter wan, then Enter.
8.Enter c 2, then Enter.
9.Now open the file described in the beginning with all your routes using notepad/kedit/gedit etc.
10.Select everything, right click, Copy.
11.Go back to the CLI, and paste the contents there (I find Ctrl-V or Shft-Ins are my favoured methods).
12.Enter apply, then Enter.
13.Enter save, then Enter.
14.Enter quit, then Enter.

NOTE: I found that trying to load all 900+ routes from the localroutes4.txt slowed the router down to a crawl. So what I now have is a text file with about 50 local sites that I know I use frequently or that are heavy traffic related sites

Last edited:

///MoH

I would like 2 no the same... i will be purchasing a 10gig local acc from openweb and would like to use Route sentry with the router... Is it possible ?

FISHborn

I haven't succeeded setting up 2 ppoe connections from the router, but it looks like halfbridge mode is a standard feature. I can connect with the router and then connect with normal ppoe connection on vista and use RouteSentry.

Only problem now is that the ppoe connection freezes up on "connecting" and it seams a restart is the only prossible solution.

2C Telecoms

2C Telecoms Representative
Company Rep
Hi All,

Yes, it is perfectly possible to configure the MEGA100WR2 to use up to 8 concurrent PPPoE connections using the same PVC settings.

Do in the following order to configure:
Under "Advanced", "WAN"

1) Delete all current connections (just to make sure that there is no problem)
2) Set up your first connection username/password
3) Select "enable" under the "shared" option
4) Enter your PVC settings VCI/VPI = 8/35
5) Make any additional changes that you may need to the connection
6) Click on "apply"
7) Create a new second account and enter username/password details
8) From the shared tab select enable
9) From the "PVC" tab, select the PVC settings that you entered for the 1st account (8:35)
10) Enter any config parameters you wish to.
11) click on "Apply"

Things should now work.. it is a good idea to save the settings, and perhaps power cycle the router to make sure that it comes up with the new settings just to make sure. your biggest challenge is now how to select which traffic routes over which connection, but i am sure that most of the people that ask how to configure 2 PPPoE connections already know the answer to that question .

Please note though, that although these instructions will work on the Mega 100WR , those routers that have serial numbers starting with aztme1 , we appear to have picked up a firmware bug , that under certain circumstances, the router will not accept the second connection. We are still busy investigating, and once we have found the bug , it will be corrected in a firmware update. In those cases, it is still possible to configure the router by telnetting it and using the same steps in the Command Line Interface … obviously this will only be an option for advanced users.

I hope that this helps

Regards
2C Telecoms

milomak

Honorary Master
2C Telecoms: In step 9, Will 8:35 and New appear as options?

It fails there with me (giving me an error about those values already in use) with a modem with aztme2 as the serial. I will however see what happens when I reboot the modem after setting up the first pppoe connection.

Last edited:

2C Telecoms

Company Rep
Hi Milomak.

the dropdown should have 8:35 and new , as you describe. It should not be giving you that error. perhaps a power cycle will help after you delete the original connection - the router may not have realised yet that it no longer has that connecton ....

milomak

Honorary Master
Yeah rebooting the router (also disconnected) once I had deleted quickstart, once I had added a new shared conection and after the second one as well has setup ppp1 and ppp2.

sgs

2C Telecoms said:
Please note though, that although these instructions will work on the Mega 100WR , those routers that have serial numbers starting with aztme1 , we appear to have picked up a firmware bug , that under certain circumstances, the router will not accept the second connection. We are still busy investigating, and once we have found the bug , it will be corrected in a firmware update. In those cases, it is still possible to configure the router by telnetting it and using the same steps in the Command Line Interface … obviously this will only be an option for advanced users.
I've given this a try, and on mine, when I select the 2nd PVC setting, it jumps to the quickstart "wizard" setup screen and the username/password is reset to blank. Is this the behaviour you are referring to above?

Also tried setting it up via the Telnet interface without much luck. (No matter what I set, none of the settings seem to be "remembered".)

Last edited:

2C Telecoms

Company Rep
SGS , you describe the bug well ... there are 1 or 2 other forms that the bug takes, but often the config does work .... we are still tracing this, and will release firmware to overcome it once we have found the cause. pleas note though , that this only appies to wr1 routers, not wr2 ... those routers should works well.

regards
2C Telecoms.

milomak

Honorary Master
With both pppoe connections setup, ppp0 as international and ppp1 as local, it feels all I need to do is run the route -add commands. My suspicion is that if I can get the following two files onto a folder on the router I am in the pound seats.

Local routes file

and the following script (Thank you Paul_S)

Code:
#!/bin/sh -e
# Called when a new interface comes up

# add custom routing for zanet (local South Africa) on ppp1 device
if [ "$PPP_IFACE" = "ppp1" ]
then
cat /etc/ppp/localroutes4.txt | sed s/'\$LOCAL'/$PPP_IFACE/ | while read localroute
do
# Change net to host for /32 addresses
# This is a bug workaround - Armin must fix his list script.
if [[ $localroute =~ "/32" ]]
then
localroute=`echo $localroute | sed s/net/host/`
$localroute
else
$localroute
fi
done
fi

# We need to route DNS lookups via ppp0 (SAIX) instead of ppp1 (IS)
# The static routing will cause the DNS lookups to be made through the local IS
# connection and the SAIX network will block the lookups because they don't originate
# from their network.
if [ "$PPP_IFACE" = "ppp0" ]
then
cat /etc/resolv.conf | sed s/nameserver// | sed s/' '// | while read nameserver
do
route add -host $nameserver $PPP_IFACE
done
fi
I will obviously need to change the part cat /etc/ppp/localroutes4.txt to wherever I have downloaded the particular file on the router. I see the router has wget functionality so its just a case of finding which folder is writable (I am guessing /var) and getting enough space on the router (about 40kB). Alas when I telnet into the router it informs (using df) that 100% space is in use :(

I can't be so close only to have the door shut in my face.

2C Telecoms

Company Rep
Hi milomac.

I was also looking at generating somthing to do just that ... but you are right .... there is no available space at present... we are busy looking into it , and will see if we can work something out ..

regards
2c Telecoms

z3r3

The busybox shell will always tell you no space because of the type of device you on as everything is in semi-permanent memory that is only updated by flash updates. So don't trust that df cmd.

You can write or output stuff into the temp folder that is located in memory. This is where all the apps running on the device put there data. This is your /var folder. It is the same folder you use when dumping the image of your router if you backing it up for whatever reason. There are some bugs tho with backing up router firmware which I think has to do with space issues in router memory, if you hit the bug a hard power cycle on router fixes it. But that shouldn't affect you. I've written up to 3.2mb into /var before running into hassles.

Since you dont have an ftp server on device u must get it to fetch stuff from ur PC using tftp protocol. Install a tftp server on ur pc and u can fetch the files from ur PC thru telnet OR push the file contents up thru a scripted telnet session. You can get a free tftp server from SolarWinds.

BTW: to download files once they on the router is easier to do this (start an http server up on router):
1)telnet router
2)shell out to cmd prompt
3)run: /usr/sbin/thttpd -g -d / -u root -p 1080
4)browse to http://10.0.0.2:1080 and download ;)

z3r3

I haven't tried using wget on my Mega 100 router but yeah if its a reasonable implementaiton of wget then it should work fine.

z3r3

umm not sure what u mean.

I was referring to if u want to retrieve files from router to pc u setup httpd on port 1080 on router and then point the browser on ur PC there, where your router IP was 10.0.0.2

z3r3

No, not yet. But i have got off files and put files on router successfully.

I was gonna play with the routing but not having a list of ZA ip addresses I didn't try. Tho I am keen now that I see u have that list :D

Looking at the script it appears it merely executes the route command with parameters. So as long as that executes fine on the router u can probably get away with scripting the whole thing up via telnet from your PC.

Here is one:
http://www.routertech.org/viewtopic.php?t=282

probably easiest route is to script pulling the 2 files (config file with routes and script to execute setting routes) from ur PC and executing them via the telnet script after transfer done.