• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Telkom Mega100WR2 - International and Local Traffic Splitting

psainsbury

Has anyone had any luck with this? I had issues running the prepare_netroutes.sh on Ubuntu 7.04. I'm quite a linux noob, so I'm not sure what to do to fix it... I ran the script and it gave me an error:
export: 12: option:: bad variable name

Being a MS developer I'm on the verge of writing a .Net app (or maybe a windows service) to do this regularly and automatically.

milomak

Honorary Master
Hmmm. You might have to install both the export and expect programs. Given my experiences with this on Debian I suspect also the ipcalc command that comes with Ubuntu won't work. I'll see if I can host the iptables command that will work, along with expect and export.

/usr/bin/expect

/bin/ipcalc

Though of course they can be in any folder that is in your path.

Last edited:

ld13

Honorary Master
Ok, so I only now got a proper chance to have a look at milomak's instructions. Then it hit me, I went through this thread already. I Know that this is, for now at least :p, Linux based. This being a little bit of a problem as I run Windows. Booting into Linux every time Eskom decides to turn off the power, just to set up the routes on the router again will not be an option.

Did anyone manage to do anything on their Windows machines? Anyone spending some time with that GPL Code of the 100WR? :p :D

z3r3

Hmmm. You might have to install both the export and expect programs. Given my experiences with this on Debian I suspect also the ipcalc command that comes with Ubuntu won't work. I'll see if I can host the iptables command that will work, along with expect and export.

/usr/bin/expect

/bin/ipcalc

Though of course they can be in any folder that is in your path.
EXPORT is normally a built in shell command. If using bash you can use it inline. If using a different shell however you need to assign the variable first and then export it.

i.e.
Code:
MYVAR=`ipcalc......'
export MYVAR
Looking at the script tho I'm not sure how NETMASK gets it's value or maybe it should be:
export NETMASK=`ipcalc...'

This may be the issue here (besides possibly missing ipcalc and expect).

z3r3

Ok, so I only now got a proper chance to have a look at milomak's instructions. Then it hit me, I went through this thread already. I Know that this is, for now at least :p, Linux based. This being a little bit of a problem as I run Windows. Booting into Linux every time Eskom decides to turn off the power, just to set up the routes on the router again will not be an option.

Did anyone manage to do anything on their Windows machines? Anyone spending some time with that GPL Code of the 100WR? :p :D
There is a excel spreadsheet and VBA macro in one the other threads that can be tweaked to use on this router. Basically you just need to put in the ppp conection commands and the command to shell out and you'll be sorted.

GPL Code is for the new version of the router and I have old version. 2C Telecoms haven't yet responded to my questions or requests that I have sent through this week and at the beginning of the month. :(

jetlee

Id13 .. have a setup on a win2k server that bypasses the half bridge on the modem completely .. there really shouldnt be any reason why this cant be done with any software that can handle a NAT on a win2k or winxp machine ... do you not have routesentry or have you got a lan with gateways and forwarding that makes the problem to big for routesentry to solve ?

z3r3

z3r3: will nas0 correspond to ppp0 when the connection is established?
If I'm not mistaken nas0 is the ADSL link not the tcp/ip connection over it to the ISP.

I stand to be corrected but if you establish two connections i.e. ppp0 and ppp1, then they will both go over nas0.

ld13

Honorary Master
There is a excel spreadsheet and VBA macro in one the other threads that can be tweaked to use on this router. Basically you just need to put in the ppp conection commands and the command to shell out and you'll be sorted.
I'll fish around for it thx. Good luck with getting that GPL code!

jetlee,I have a LAN at home yes, and being the type of person I am, I like to fiddle with things. The easiest option available is not always the one I tend to take. At the moment, the interim solution was to run Routesentry on each PC. But moving this to the router is firstly a challenge for me and secondly would allow me more power to control usage of the bandwidth etc etc. I am thinking of installing Smoothwall on my P1, but that thing is too noisy to run 24/7. :D

z3r3

I'll fish around for it thx. Good luck with getting that GPL code!

jetlee,I have a LAN at home yes, and being the type of person I am, I like to fiddle with things. The easiest option available is not always the one I tend to take. At the moment, the interim solution was to run Routesentry on each PC. But moving this to the router is firstly a challenge for me and secondly would allow me more power to control usage of the bandwidth etc etc. I am thinking of installing Smoothwall on my P1, but that thing is too noisy to run 24/7. :D
Yes and of course you get the security of your PC not being directly on the net. The only hassle you have on either windows or linux is that when your connection is reset you have to rerun script. The ultimate is to have the script on the router BUT we need to either modify the current firmware/filesystem - we have the GPL but need to know what version of the router that is for.

milomak

Honorary Master
yeah having the script on the router would be first prize. Actually what would the command be to upload files on to the router?

Broadcom

new light?

Hey chaps,

maybe i'm missing the point of what you're trying to achieve with the static routing, but it seems you're getting WAY too complicated with all this scripting and kernel compling etc.... and having to download the route every time you restart the router...

Static routing is a basic function of a router, you need to add them at the router level for each ppp interface, not at the OS (linux) level. Then you can save changes to NVRAM. Only needs to be done once.

more detailed instructions:

you need to have the mutiple connections setup as explained by 2C Telecoms at the beginning of this thread.

Telnet to the router (hyperterminal or PuTTY)
login to the CLI
type enable
enter your password
type wan
type sh con
you should see a list of your connections (quickstart and localtraffic in my case...) along with the connection IDs
Take note of your local traffic connection ID and use it in the following cmd:
type c 2
Now you can add the static routes. You can paste an entire block of routes directly from notepad. They should be in non CIDR format:

ro static-a 169.202.0.0 255.255.0.0 165.146.148.1 metric 0
ro static-a 196.44.0.0 255.255.224.0 165.146.148.1 metric 0

type apply and then sh ro to verify that they are in
type save to save to flash

hope this helps....

milomak

Honorary Master
Brodacom, the script does the routing at router level and not at the OS level. The instruction set will only run from a linux perspective as I use linux and not XP and thus have only been able to create a method of creating the routing table on the router from Linux.

Doing it using your method, does it save the routing table if you reboot?

Broadcom

I meant not adding them at the OS level of the router. Rather add them at the cli prompt, then you will be able to save the routing table to non-volatile ram and it will be retained after rebooting the router.
Doesn't matter what OS your PC is running.

milomak

Honorary Master
Oh, looking closely at your post I see what you are saying. Hmmm never really thought of exploring the router at cli level as opposed to the shell level.

Code:
ro static-a 169.202.0.0 255.255.0.0 165.146.148.1 metric 0
I take it the first IP is the range you want to direct (169.202.0.0). The 2nd is the netmask address (255.255.0.0). What is the 3rd IP (165.146.148.1)?

EDIT: It seems to me you are clued up about this modem. Do you know how to setup connections manually from the CLI interface

Last edited:

Broadcom

Sorry, the 3rd IP is my 'local traffic' gateway! Insert your own...

it's the normal route add format (network address, netmask, gateway)

I haven't bothered to convert alm's entire localroutes4.txt file from the CIDR (/24 /20 etc..) to normal IP range. If someone does, let me know!!

Broadcom

No. It's the default gateway for your ppp connection with the 'local-only' ISP

You can get it by typing ifconfig in the shell and looking at the P-t-P address for your local ppp connection.

Zyzzyva

Executive Member
seems like things are moving fast now.

I think i speak for quite a few users when i say that getting this right would be fantastic.

As soon as you guys have it working, could you create a new thread with full, detailed, step by step instructions.

I like to jump between operating systems, so easily splitting at router level with the mega100 would be very helpful.

psainsbury

I'm a bit confused by the gateway address... As far as I could gather that would change each time you reconnect... and if it changed each time the router reconnected, surely that would be a problem.

Last edited: