Telkom Mobile 5G

grant_cpt

Expert Member
Received the following SMS:

Telkom: Great news! Change your device settings to 5G on your phone for faster internet, quicker website access and smooth video streaming. Gamers, get ready for seamless play with less delay. Also, enjoy better IoT connectivity, and top-notch video calls. Stay connected, stream, and work on the go hassle-free! Reply OUT to opt out. T&Cs apply. Telkom Team

Anyone been able to get 5G working yet?

In Westrand Joburg, no 5G on my Samsung S22 Ultra.
MTN is 5G though.

Select coverage map at the bottom. There is a 5G option. My area does not feature yet.

e02c7bdcea7b52a0af674209347a332d.png

For those that wanted proof, here it is…was not easy getting it though. Had to log a ticket and then it turned out to be 5G wasn’t provisioned on the sim (esim). Customer care refused to check this as I insisted that its the problem, just saying that it is automatic - so seems again we have a problem with auto-provisioning on sims. Spoke to someone at technical support and they activated it.

Amazing, they actually have a separate line for 5G active.
Nope, mine obviously does not include that line.

Their 5G mobile service should perform great since no-one is on it.

Reactions: Yuu
Amazing, they actually have a separate line for 5G active.
Nope, mine obviously does not include that line.

Their 5G mobile service should perform great since no-one is on it.

Not too good I’m afraid, getting 249mbps peak on download, in some other areas nothing more than 70mbps

View attachment 1674837Got this from Telkom Twitter support after specifically asking them to switch 5G VAS on.

Ugh that’s the problem with them, they are really smart and trust their auto-provisioning will happen, which of course we know doesn’t happen. I went on that info from them for months, everyday being within 5G coverage and nothing ever happened.

Maybe instead of being wise assess all the time they should just do what the customer asks, as the customer obviously knows more about their own product than them.

Good luck, looks like the only way for now is either luck or logging a case and getting to someone with more than 2 brain cells that you can ask what you asked the first time - that is until they get their auto provisioning out of manual gear

Had network issues on my iPhone so I did a network reset and I noticed that 5G is now activated. This is the first time I see it since I received that misleading sms about 5G. The speeds are nothing to write home about.
aaa403d7fd1b6957be40a39fe0bf24fe.jpg

Had network issues on my iPhone so I did a network reset and I noticed that 5G is now activated. This is the first time I see it since I received that misleading sms about 5G. The speeds are nothing to write home about.
aaa403d7fd1b6957be40a39fe0bf24fe.jpg
Is your iPhone set to "5G Auto" or "5G On"?

Back